Live From the Ruby Princess January 6, 2022 Mexico

HaveDogWillTravel

I’m going to try again and post photos. Sandia en fuego is my favorite too. Yes I agree room service quality had not good sometimes. I’m going to try real food (as opposed to deserts) and see if it’s improved. I’ll let you know. 

I loved the fruity wine flight and DH liked the spicy and sass one. They are included in your package too! 

Isn’t Josephine’s hair cute?  

I’m planning on calling or going down to medical when they are open to see if they can answer some questions about passenger and crew quarantining and how the aloha deck us used. Not sure when I’ll get around to it but I will. 

CC73155A-6C1A-413E-B1FB-DCA18EAF76EA.jpeg

7A15D4A3-71B7-41BD-A6F0-92EEFA1F33A9.jpeg

F27D5468-E979-4F8D-9C43-B7456E4CB97C.jpeg

17CD9AFC-8189-42F1-AE37-7786733606AB.jpeg

DCB6E94E-D0FB-4BDB-98DB-BDCA7F29D2C3.jpeg

2B9D9B93-FE8E-4734-8E68-4259C3AB5220.jpeg

4F51566A-B93D-4268-8EF5-59F59751E7EB.jpeg

39573A1B-A15E-47FE-8BC4-197A4016343F.jpeg

84BAC967-C3DB-4DE6-BC72-65DFDB7DE17F.jpeg

65DBE4A8-4504-4359-A629-663C59F8FE62.jpeg

3C56A5D8-6281-46F4-A1F4-5174C0AD13B0.jpeg

9C670393-A811-440E-99C0-8CE0AA4CDABE.jpeg

E03E2C9F-90AC-46FE-8578-AF24DE8CC237.jpeg

92D0B9F7-2244-402F-A47B-0BABF509EE00.jpeg

180414A4-D8AE-4D62-914B-97E3C2F6B209.jpeg

35921D39-682A-40BA-BE05-5B6A5F171E2F.jpeg

80CEA6E2-30E4-43DC-B169-3E4FCB74826B.jpeg

0E7AEFF0-CC98-48AE-8A74-A0DD4C91CBFC.jpeg

21061990-BA5A-4CD4-820A-CCC3C8808638.jpeg

E6C9BCB3-67F3-4B33-9848-7418E91826D1.jpeg

2FD05785-F0E9-4F94-8627-167911B7D5AB.jpeg

C9A1B787-E396-48FE-AE74-0DB3A1EA040E.jpeg

B3D2C975-C3E8-4423-B510-642F1943736C.jpeg

E813416B-2CDA-4DB5-AC5C-D85373B67ECB.jpeg

1B8A92EE-02F3-4818-94D2-7FB313B39A1D.jpeg

825FEBAC-B087-4190-A610-165B0AF65EF8.jpeg

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

They are not sure if the chefs table will be offered on the current sailing as we are now “level 2”. This is what I was told when I called the dine line. In general if protocols allow chef tables are offered. Day is up to the chef and DORO. It is not a set day. 

Sadly there is no avocado toast at Slice. But the crew said to call room service and they should be able to do that. I’ll try that!  

Darshan the bar supervisor said since Ocean Now delivers 24 hours there were not enough people using the IC after midnight.  He’s only got 70% crew so the shift in hours makes sense. If you call room service they will customize anything on the room service menu and you can order off menu. If they have it they will send it. They are very accommodating!  I ordered cheesecake with extra strawberries and a birthday cake at 11:55 pm last night. They don’t technically have bday cakes but they did send up something quite nice.  

It’s been well documented that the aft facing Caribe deck penthouse suites are subject to food orders from the center vent they are next to. I will say that vent is living up to its reputation.  As we’ve sailed in this cabin before, we knew that when we accepted the downgrade from A752 owners suite (all of Aloha port side is shut off for quarantine). 
It seems that it doesn’t smell too bad until evening. A bit in the early morning but definitely worse at night. Last night from 9 pm to midnight (when I went to sleep) it was entirely unusable.  The night before from 2 am to 4 am it was fine.   Each of the 3 days so far it’s been fine from mid morning till late afternoon. 

There’s a small whiff of smoke occasionally but nothing to write home about. It will be interesting in April when I sail in a dolphin deck Vista. 

The other thing that I personally do not care for about the balcony is that it is entirely covered. Aloha deck is part covered, part open. Great for stargazing. 

I saw Cruisingminnie this morning and they saw a family of whales and a pod of dolphins this morning.

DH and I are really enjoying Good Spirits at Sea and are halfway to earning a tshirt. Lol. Went to the PES lounge again last night and quite enjoyed the food and the great view of sunset!  I had the seafood bowl DH had the slow roasted pork at dinner last night.  Both were very good.

We really liked our IC lunch yesterday too. Chicken pot pie, tuna sandwich & cheese plate for me.  The Cubano sand which (very good) and orzo salad (just ok) and 3 different types of cookies (see photo and he liked them) for DH. 

Today we spend Cabo day getting spoiled in the sanctuary and going to the thermal spa. 

I’m going to  post these comments and then try to post pictures. 

Thank you for checking on the Chefs table, What does Level 2 mean?

I’m not sure what defines level 2. 
I did go down to the medical center just now and ask the nurse about quarantining. She said that if one person tests positive and their travel partner does not then we can be quarantined together after being informed of the risks and signing waivers. This is particularly important for people who require their caretaker. That’s a huge relief for me.  

She also said that when crew come back from quarantining on the Crown there is no need for crew to continue quarantining on the Ruby. 

Also she said there is nothing in CDC guidelines that require her to make a positive passenger and close contacts to disembark and quarantine in the next port. This would only happen if the port required it. Of course anyone needing medical attention would go to a hospital if required. 

She said that incoming crew would quarantine for 5 or 10 days depending on circumstances but I’m not sure if that is happening on the Crown or the Ruby. And she needed to get back to work so we didn’t get a chance to go over the different circumstances.  I also didn’t get a chance to ask if someone tested positive and was considered recovered before the end of the sailing if they’d be allowed to continue on a B2B. Maybe the passengers on the next sailing to Hawaii can get that answered. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Chiming in again from the beautiful Ruby Princess …

Everyone on decks 5-7 get a rating of ‘excellent’!  This is not the case for our cabin or in the spa.  

I will start with our cabin which was in the aft section on the starboard side of the Caribe deck.  While we usually let the small stuff go without even a mention, we had multiple issues in our cabin, a few of which were not addressed in a timely manner.  The toilet not working for two days in a row prompted us to just asked to be moved to a comparable cabin.  A shout out to Samel at guest services for making this move very easy and painless.  We are now located all the way aft on the port side.  Samel even walked us up to the room to ensure everything is in working order.  He also arranged for us to have access to both rooms for one hour, as well as a bell  hop cart and room steward to help us move all our stuff from our old room to our new room.  Everything in this cabin seems to be in working order, thankfully.  As an aside, we inquired as to a paid upgrade to a mini-suite, since we were already moving cabins and we’re offered that for $30 a day for the remainder of the cruise.  That was a bargain but we declined.  We are traveling with another couple and decided to stay on the same deck with them. One is mobility challenged and they have been a bit disappointed with the difficulty she has experienced in the hallway with all the room steward carts. While most stewards have been very cognizant of getting their carts out of the way, our steward didn’t even attempt to move his cart for her to get through.  When they cruise again, they booked a room right next to the elevator vestibule.  
My DH is ready to get out of the cabin so more to come about the spa … both good and bad!  Also more to come about the entertainment and the dining service.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, 2CalBears said:

Appreciate hearing both good and bad about your experience aboard the Ruby.

Wondering what you hear about people's experiences ashore.  I gather you've been permitted to dock in both Cabo and Mazatlan.

We have not ventured off the ship but yes, we have been able to dock in both ports so far.  I’ve been told that after the last cruise, the crew is not allowed any shore leave.  I also understand that San Francisco will be requiring tests for any unboosted passengers … not sure when that will start.  It may be on this sailing.  If I read any further updates, I will post on here.  
The weather is perfect … not too hot or humid in either of the first two ports.  

Cabo is a tender port and the tenders seemed quite busy. We didn’t get off there. We just got back on at Mazatlan though. As @CruiseRaidermentioned the weather is perfect…not very humid at all and not too hot. We used the required open air trolly/cart to get from the ship to the cruise terminal. The ATM only gives USD here and we were wanting pesos. 

We followed the blue line into the Centro Historic district. There were many really nice expats in blue shirts at intervals along the route giving out maps, suggesting what to see, helping with directions if there is somewhere you are trying to get to……and so on. There are police on every corner and also in the middle of long blocks. Very friendly and welcoming police which was nice. 

From Centro we walked to the malecon and found Posada Freeman Best Western hotel. They have a bar on the top floor with great views.  On our way back we found a pulmania (open golf cart) with a lovely older gentleman, Jorge. He has been doing this for 20 years and we had a great time talking with him and seeing some sights.  He asked for $25 for an hour and we agreed. 

At the end we bought him lunch at his favorite restaurant. It was definitely not in the regular tourist zone.   We each got two tacos camaron, beans, beverages and a platter of 2 salsas, pico de Gallo, guacamole, radishes, cucumbers, lime and crispy tortillas. Everything made in house from scratch and extremely delicious. 295 pesos about $15 for the food and drink and we left a $4 tip. 

He was a wonderful guide with reasonably good English. And he would repeat if we didn’t understand.  The masks made it a little harder. We all wore masks except when eating. Jorge really appreciated that and commented that Carnival ship people did not mask. I’ll post pictures separately. 

Princess met us with lovely ice cold washcloths when returned to the ship. 

• Like 4

On 1/8/2022 at 3:33 PM, gsdpidge said:

My wife and I are on the 31st cruise. Are they offering a Chef's table? If so which day was/is it scheduled?

Signed up for the chefs table tge first day and got a letter a couple days later they were unable to do one because of technical difficulties. Not sure what that is about but always live doing the Chef’s table.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Cabo is a tender port and the tenders seemed quite busy. We didn’t get off there. We just got back on at Mazatlan though. As @CruiseRaidermentioned the weather is perfect…not very humid at all and not too hot. We used the required open air trolly/cart to get from the ship to the cruise terminal. The ATM only gives USD here and we were wanting pesos. 

We followed the blue line into the Centro Historic district. There were many really nice expats in blue shirts at intervals along the route giving out maps, suggesting what to see, helping with directions if there is somewhere you are trying to get to……and so on. There are police on every corner and also in the middle of long blocks. Very friendly and welcoming police which was nice. 

From Centro we walked to the malecon and found Posada Freeman Best Western hotel. They have a bar on the top floor with great views.  On our way back we found a pulmania (open golf cart) with a lovely older gentleman, Jorge. He has been doing this for 20 years and we had a great time talking with him and seeing some sights.  He asked for $25 for an hour and we agreed. 

At the end we bought him lunch at his favorite restaurant. It was definitely not in the regular tourist zone.   We each got two tacos camaron, beans, beverages and a platter of 2 salsas, pico de Gallo, guacamole, radishes, cucumbers, lime and crispy tortillas. Everything made in house from scratch and extremely delicious. 295 pesos about $15 for the food and drink and we left a $4 tip. 

He was a wonderful guide with reasonably good English. And he would repeat if we didn’t understand.  The masks made it a little harder. We all wore masks except when eating. Jorge really appreciated that and commented that Carnival ship people did not mask. I’ll post pictures separately. 

Thank you for the info. In reading your post, am I correct the restaurant is called Los Potrillos? Looked very good as we will be in Mazatlan next week.  Is it very far from the main tourist area, seemed safe to you? Always looking for good restaurant recommendations in our travels. Thanks

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Turbopaws said:

@gsdpidgeGary & Debbie, we have a Meet & Greet set up for the Jan 31 cruise. Check out the roll call for "Ruby Princess January - 31- 2022 to Mexico".

7 minutes ago, Turbopaws said:

@gsdpidgeGary & Debbie, we have a Meet & Greet set up for the Jan 31 cruise. Check out the roll call for "Ruby Princess January - 31- 2022 to Mexico".

Richard, I went into the Google doc and reviewed our info. Thanks for setting it up

Now, back to the Ruby…..our room steward came by last night to check our booster shot status.  It just took a minute for him to note the dates on his form.  I believe San Francisco is requiring all passengers to have a booster shot or a negative test on board before disembarking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CruisinMinnie said:

Now, back to the Ruby…..our room steward came by last night to check our booster shot status.  It just took a minute for him to note the dates on his form.  I believe San Francisco is requiring all passengers to have a booster shot or a negative test on board before disembarking.

It was reported in the SF Chronicle effective 1/14 ~ Due to a recent surge in cases in the Bay Area and across the U.S. because of the omicron variant, the San Francisco Department of Public Health will require all ships to test all passengers who haven’t received a booster shot before docking at the port starting Friday, officials said.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, gsdpidge said:

It was reported in the SF Chronicle effective 1/14 ~ Due to a recent surge in cases in the Bay Area and across the U.S. because of the omicron variant, the San Francisco Department of Public Health will require all ships to test all passengers who haven’t received a booster shot before docking at the port starting Friday, officials said.

Thanks for confirming.   😊

• Like 2

23 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Thank you for this nice description of your experiences ashore.  It was good to hear that locals appreciate visitors wearing masks, something we should definitely do to show we have the same regard for them as we do for people at home.

• Like 3

This morning I went out for my morning walk and happened to walk past the port as the lovely Ruby Princess was approaching the dock.  About an hour later I again was near the Port when I saw the Majestic Princess enter the Marina (what we call the Port).  It has been nearly 2 years since I have seen two cruise ships (with passengers) dock at PV on the same day and it added some more normalcy to our usual winter in PV.  I hope that everyone on the two ships enjoyed their day here.

Hank

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Turbopaws said:

For those on board now, Have they done the "Yes/No" game show? It's a lot of fun but harder than you might think if you haven't done it.😁

I'm onboard now.  I haven't played "Yes/No", but I'm pretty sure I heard it announced as one of the day's activities a day or two ago.

• Like 1

Sounds like everything is running smoothly & y’all have made it to all of your ports! Awesome. I appreciate all the updates & pictures they’ve got me hyped for our cruise in 20 days... Odd request if anyone has the time & wants to go on a mission. At the tradewinds bar on deck 16 there used to be a drink called the dirty banana. Can someone check and see if that’s still available? Bonus points if you can snap a picture of one (if you’ve got a drink package) 😄 

2 minutes ago, Aliens_300c said:

Sounds like everything is running smoothly & y’all have made it to all of your ports! Awesome. I appreciate all the updates & pictures they’ve got me hyped for our cruise in 20 days... Odd request if anyone has the time & wants to go on a mission. At the tradewinds bar on deck 16 there used to be a drink called the dirty banana. Can someone check and see if that’s still available? Bonus points if you can snap a picture of one (if you’ve got a drink package) 😄 

Not on the Ruby, but recently off the Sky.. the Dirty Banana is alive and well at the bar.  And they had the bananas to back it up!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1