Live From the Ruby Princess January 6, 2022 Mexico

HaveDogWillTravel

1 hour ago, CAZephyr said:

Here is the San Francisco port schedule for this month:  https://sfport.com/files/2021-12/2022.pdf

The following site usually shows pier info...not now:  https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/san-francisco-port-2.  Nice map and picture of the site, though.  Princess will likely post info as the day approaches.

Thank you so much, CAZephyr.  This is such helpful information and exactly what I needed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/10/2022 at 2:05 PM, GrammySpo said:

Signed up for the chefs table tge first day and got a letter a couple days later they were unable to do one because of technical difficulties. Not sure what that is about but always live doing the Chef’s table.

FYI…I’ve been on 2 cruises on the Ruby & requested Chef’s dinners on both cruises for our CC group & never heard from anyone. Interesting that they contacted you but none of us were ever contacted. 

Tom😀

7 hours ago, croozer said:

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but what pier did you embark from?  I'm sailing on 1/31 and had to search for info that the the ship could be at Pier 27, or it might be at Pier 33.  Did they ever tell you specifically where to go or were you on your own to find the right pier? And thanks for all the great posts.

Pier 27 is the terminal for Princess. Pier 33 is used as a backup terminal for other ships other than Princess. 

Here’s the port schedule. You’ll see the Ruby Princess at pier 27. 

Hope that this helps. 

Tom😀

image.thumb.png.208b03a8dd85a7a8cfb52dce5f5bdadd.png

Edited by trbarton
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

We are making an emergency stop in Cabo to put ashore a critically ill crew member. According to the Captain it is not covid related. I do hope they will be okay. 

I hope they'll be OK too.  Thank you for keeping us updated. 

Thanks a million to HaveDog for posting the patters.  We sail again on the Ruby in about 40 days.  I'm happy that Grace's Secret and Aileen & Sticks remain in action.  Sad to know that Diamond Trio apparently has moved on to the Grand or Majestic (?), apparently replaced in part by Celine's Jazz Duo.  HaveDog, have you been to one of their performances?  Can you comment?  Thanks again for your effort in keeping everyone informed.

I tried to post this a couple of days ago but it seemed to have disappeared.  
I spoke of my spa experience … attempting to post round #2

Our friends are traveling with us and he booked an appointment online (and paid for it) for the spa for his wife as a Christmas present while we were in Cabo.  I don’t go on tender boats so, I made an appointment online for the same time while the guys were going to watch the football game on MUTS.  
I went to my appointment and had a wonderful massage.  It’s very clean and I felt confident they took all the precautions they could in as far as Covid protection. You do have to wear a mask the entire massage, even when face down, which didn’t bother me in the least.  My only complaint about the massage is that they could have used a softer towel for the face rest .. if that’s even a complaint!  The masseuse was excellent!  As always, the massage is followed up by the selling of their products but they weren’t pushy about it at all.  
Now, for the charges … I’ve booked and paid for several spa services online since the resumption of cruising back in July.  I’ve always received the elite benefit of a 10% discount once onboard back on my account.  They refused it this time around and said the online price was already discounted. I wasn’t going to spend my vacation time over $12 … I will include it in my survey, though.  I probably won’t go back to the spa on this ship.  
Now, onto my friend’s house experience.  She showed up for her facial at the same time I got my massage.  They informed her that the spa appointment had to be confirmed and paid for and they did t have her on the schedule.  They showed the documentation of the appointment and the receipt that they had booked online but, no!  She was so very disappointed!  
To end this on a positive note, though, the massage was really awesome!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

@Cruise Raider thanks for sharing your spa experience.  I think the selling is what makes me hesitant to book anything again at the spa on a ship.  The prices are already inflated compared to land spa establishments and I do not want to be cornered when I am sleepy eyed after my super relaxing massage to make purchasing decisions.  The answer is always going to be no.  I don't want to haul anything else home with me anyway.  I just want to enjoy my vacation.  I'm getting irritated just talking about it now.  LOL!

• Like 4

23 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

We are making an emergency stop in Cabo to put ashore a critically ill crew member. According to the Captain it is not covid related. I do hope they will be okay. 

We heard from a crew member that it was likely a bad case of appendicitis. Hope he/she gets treated in time. We were certainly making top speed to Cabo through the prior night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

@Cruise Raider thanks for sharing your spa experience.  I think the selling is what makes me hesitant to book anything again at the spa on a ship.  The prices are already inflated compared to land spa establishments and I do not want to be cornered when I am sleepy eyed after my super relaxing massage to make purchasing decisions.  The answer is always going to be no.  I don't want to haul anything else home with me anyway.  I just want to enjoy my vacation.  I'm getting irritated just talking about it now.  LOL!

Boy, do I ever feel the same way - wouldn't it be nice to just be able to be relaxed after a facial and not just know "here it comes."  IMO I doubt it will change as the employees are obviously making money doing it or have a quota to keep their job.

Edited by BlueFish2000
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, BlueFish2000 said:

Boy, do I ever feel the same way - wouldn't it be nice to just be able to be relaxed after a facial and not just know "here it comes."  IMO I doubt it will change as the employees are obviously making money doing it or have a quota to keep their job.

If you tell them at the beginning that their tip depends on NOT trying to upsell you at the end, it has an AMAZING effect!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, BlueFish2000 said:

Their tip is included - that's another thing that bugs me!!

We usually adjust up for great service; the promise to do that or to remove it it they do the sales pitch will give you results

• Like 1

Wow perfect sea day. My beloved promenade deck was open all around from bow to stern, the ocean breeze was stiff enough and cold enough to feel good but not be overwhelming, the seas were rocky and the roll of the ship with the rumble of the engines in my feet were soothing and exciting at the same time. 

Unfortunately DH has been struggling with some sea sickness. The ginger pills and wrist band were no longer enough but thanks to @CruiseRaiderwho delivered some Dramamine to our door he is sleeping peacefully. 
While I stay close on the balcony reading I am thankful the vent smells and smoke from below are mostly blown away by prevailing winds. There’s still an annoying whiff now and then but it stops enough that I can be out here.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, BlueFish2000 said:

Havedogwilltravel - I'm hearing there are no covid cases on board? That would be fantastic and maybe a sign of Omicron turning around!!!!

We had dinner with a couple last night whose daughter came down with Covid 2 days into the cruise. She has been quarantined, apart from her husband, on the Aloha deck. This couple also reported that a staff director was quarantined with Covid. With this many passengers and crew members, it might be almost impossible to not have a single case.

Hi! @BlueFish2000 Even on the inaugural we took together this past July we had a couple of cases. 

I think it’s almost impossible to not not have any Covid on board. 

@RogueRamblers is correct that our CD has been put into isolation. I can’t confirm if that’s because of a positive test or as a close contact. @RogueRamblersif there is any way for you to get some first hand text content from those who are currently quarantined onboard I’m sure there are many who would be most appreciative. 

@BlueFish2000why don’t you join @CruiseRaiderand I on the Jan 31 Ruby sailing

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, RogueRamblers said:

We had dinner with a couple last night whose daughter came down with Covid 2 days into the cruise. She has been quarantined, apart from her husband, on the Aloha deck. This couple also reported that a staff director was quarantined with Covid. With this many passengers and crew members, it might be almost impossible to not have a single case.

Agree, Princess does seem to be handling it so much better than some of the others. If anyone knows what deck or decks they are using for quarantine would appreciate the info as we will be on the ship in a couple of months and would like to make sure we are on another floor 😏 Hopefully the whole problem will be over by then.

1 minute ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Hi! @BlueFish2000 Even on the inaugural we took together this past July we had a couple of cases. 

I think it’s almost impossible to not not have any Covid on board. 

@RogueRamblers is correct that our CD has been put into isolation. I can’t confirm if that’s because of a positive test or as a close contact. @RogueRamblersif there is any way for you to get some first hand text content from those who are currently quarantined onboard I’m sure there are many who would be most appreciative. 

@BlueFish2000why don’t you join @CruiseRaiderand I on the Jan 31 Ruby sailing

Would love to sail with you again, can't then but maybe later this year.  Do you have a list of your upcoming somewhere? Hope you hubby is feeling better.

3 minutes ago, BlueFish2000 said:

Agree, Princess does seem to be handling it so much better than some of the others. If anyone knows what deck or decks they are using for quarantine would appreciate the info as we will be on the ship in a couple of months and would like to make sure we are on another floor 😏 Hopefully the whole problem will be over by then.

It will never be over. It’s the all the Aloha deck port side and forward starboard on the Ruby that’s reserved for isolation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BlueFish2000 said:

Would love to sail with you again, can't then but maybe later this year.  Do you have a list of your upcoming somewhere? Hope you hubby is feeling better.

I don’t post them online. I have your email at home so can email in a few days. If you can find the paper I gave you with my email then dash me off one! 

• Thanks 1