Cruise around the UK ending in France. Why?

Katie52

2 hours ago, Katie52 said:

We are due to cruise around the UK in July and the final port of call will be Le Havre.  I am curious as to why as all the other ports are British.  Is this some odd rule like the US has?

We did a similar cruise (Is it with Princess?) I presume it's because people can embark or disembark there so useful for people from Europe wanting to cruise round the UK? 

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 5:29 PM, Katie52 said:

We are due to cruise around the UK in July and the final port of call will be Le Havre.  I am curious as to why as all the other ports are British.  Is this some odd rule like the US has?

I am thinking if you do not call at a foreign port you have not left the UK and accordingly no duty free allowance or sales will be permitted.

Regards John

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2022 at 12:37 AM, john watson said:

I am thinking if you do not call at a foreign port you have not left the UK and accordingly no duty free allowance or sales will be permitted.

Regards John

this is correct, although they can stop in Southern Ireland and Guernsey to 

45 minutes ago, minikiss said:

this is correct, although they can stop in Southern Ireland and Guernsey to 

When we were in EU the ship had to stop in a non-EU country to qualify and Guernsey worked well for weekend  short cruises conversely weekend cruises only sailing to Zeebrugge Belgium  did not get duty free allowance.  Now we are no longer in the EU,  all EU countries or other foreign countries will qualify for Duty Free allowance being permitted.  Princess typically runs its short ex-Southampton weekend cruises on a two port basis typically Guernsey plus one  European port.  This increased the chances of duty free voyages.  Guernsey is currently shut to cruise ships but when it is open as a tender port my experience is only 50% of cruises successfully organising the tenders operation due to typically the worst sea conditions prevailing. This makes the second port or diverting to Le Havre or Brest vital as has happened with me on Princess weekend cruises and duty free occurring.

Regards John

Regards John

Edited by john watson

• 1 month later...
On 1/6/2022 at 12:29 PM, Katie52 said:

my understanding is during covid ships were not allowed to go to any ports outside of uk. for a time.

13 hours ago, teresaluk said:

my understanding is during covid ships were not allowed to go to any ports outside of uk. for a time.

They were staycation cruises. 

The reason for calling in  French port is for taxation reasons, as described by John in #7. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

According to the UK's Merchant Shipping Act, a passenger vessel operating "domestically" or "coastwise" (calling at only UK ports), has to have UK deck and engine officers, even if it is a foreign flag vessel.  So, to continue to allow the Bahamian and Panamanian licensed officers of most lines to remain on the ship, they have to make one foreign port call.  This, along with other measures in UK law, provides a cabotage protection to domestic shipping much like the US's PVSA.

• Like 2