Iona - 12th - 19th Feb - Is it likely to go ahead?

johnnylikely

Not sure it's the testing that's caused the change on this itinerary, they've actively swapped to a port that insists on pre arrival testing in Le Havre, seems like a cash grab with the charging for pre-arrival testing and savings in fuel not having to go to Hamburg.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Francisdrake said:

Not sure it's the testing that's caused the change on this itinerary, they've actively swapped to a port that insists on pre arrival testing in Le Havre, seems like a cash grab with the charging for pre-arrival testing and savings in fuel not having to go to Hamburg.

Nothing of the sort, Germany is not allowing foreign cruise ships to dock in Hamburg.

To clarify, my comment about testing was a reply to Wowzz's comment re another cruise itinerary change (mentioned on another thread) from Lisbon to Gibraltar, but was also discussed here.

Regards the change from Hamburg, I had mentioned we are due to visit there in mid March.  Our cruise is on Fred 's Bolette, but I have done a bit of digging and it seems the Amsterdam port now has Bolette listed as visiting on the 17/18th March, which partly overlaps our scheduled stop in Hamburg,. (Fred's itinerary has us in Amsterdam 20/21st March).  So is looking like Hamburg will be pulled for our itinerary, though nothing from Fred as yet about that.  It does, therefore, seem likely that not only is there a problem docking in Hamburg in the very near future, but that it is also expected to be a problem when we are due in mid March.

Regards the port call by MSC to Hamburg,  I am aware that German lines and MSC are scheduled to call into Hamburg, so I would think the ban is on non EU ships and MSC take a lot of German pax on their Hamburg turn arounds anyway, so it is even possible no other nationalities are on the MSC ship  at present (like Virtuosa for our UK staycations).

23 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Nothing of the sort, Germany is not allowing foreign cruise ships to dock in Hamburg.

John, can you please share were you saw that information, which may well confirm my thoughts, which I have mentioned above,

Barbara

16 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I assume that's because Hamburg is one of its current home ports, so it probably qualifies as a German based cruise ship.

That would make sense though seems strange as they are picking up passengers in Southampton each time on this itinerary, i nearly booked with them over the P&O one but the dates didn't quite fit.

Cunard QM2 is due in Hamburg on the 13th February 2022.  From what I can see the Hafen City Cruise Terminal is being rebuilt, re opens end of this year. Altona is to small for some ships which leaves Steinwerder which is located in the container area .  Also if you wish to go ashore  you need to complete a Registration form 72hrs before  and   you need a booster jab  or take an antigen test prior to entry and be in possession of  proof of either.   

The QM2 is still scheduled to call in Hamburg a week today, and so far Cunard have given no indication that it won’t. (There’s still time though …)

Hamburg is an important market for Cunard as they have a lot of German customers who board there for TA and Caribbean voyages so if the QM2 can’t call it would throw up a big logistical challenge.

41 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

The QM2 is still scheduled to call in Hamburg a week today, and so far Cunard have given no indication that it won’t. (There’s still time though …)

Hamburg is an important market for Cunard as they have a lot of German customers who board there for TA and Caribbean voyages so if the QM2 can’t call it would throw up a big logistical challenge.

Yes I was also aware that the QM2 does change arounds in Hamburg, as does MSC, whereas we just had a port call on Fred - not that our visit to Hamburg has been formally been cancelled yet......  If it is changed I suspect the reason given would be the ubiquitous "operational reasons", but if I get any more info. by speaking with staff on the ship (we have had quite a bit of info. that way), I will share here, but six weeks yet, so a lot could be changing by then.

Edited by tring

42 minutes ago, LifeonMars said:

Also if you wish to go ashore  you need to complete a Registration form 72hrs before  and   you need a booster jab  or take an antigen test prior to entry and be in possession of  proof of either.   

That 72 hour registration form would have been a problem for our cruise, as the scheduled has us visiting within two days of sailing, 

11 hours ago, Francisdrake said:

That would make sense though seems strange as they are picking up passengers in Southampton each time on this itinerary, i nearly booked with them over the P&O one but the dates didn't quite fit.

Me too as it was quite a bit cheaper but the Tuesday departure day is inconvenient for work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tring said:

That 72 hour registration form would have been a problem for our cruise, as the scheduled has us visiting within two days of sailing, 

I should have said If planning to go ashore then complete the registration within 72hours prior to arrival in Hamburg.  So could be done at Home or on ship.

I wonder if Iona with its Southampton registry has anything to do with  the cancellation for Hamburg.

Edited by LifeonMars

On 2/5/2022 at 11:09 AM, Fionboard said:

Itineraries changing all over the place. Lisbon being dropped and my neighbours have two stops in Italy dropped from next week's cruise. All because of covid requirements. Might as well just do "mystery cruises"  as you don't know where you are going to end up!

Last time I went on a mystery trip I ended up for 5 days in Blackpool 😂   Would definitely sign up for a mystery cruise.

8 minutes ago, smoggymonster said:

a reply to Foody , I am having the same problem and I think mine is because part of the cruise payment was FCC and my balance is still outstanding and I think its a problem between P&O and Iglucruise. never had a challenge printing everything off before. cheers

you can try phoning P&O    0800 052 3840‬‬  and see if they can do anything like put the FCC on to the booking to show it is paid,  or your TA for them to sort it.

Edited by LifeonMars

HOLY MOLY!!!!!!!!!! Why they doing this and so late? Is the weather that bad.... Or what...
i like the new ports tho!

Having reviewed the weather reports and forecasts for the next seven days it is clear that there is a significant weather front which would impact our ability to maintain our scheduled Western Europe itinerary. It would also considerably impact your enjoyment of the cruise.

Therefore we are pleased to advise that we have changed the itinerary in order to ensure you will be able to enjoy ports of call and time on board Iona.  Iona will now be taking in the Portuguese capital of Lisbon as well as La Coruna and Vigo in Spain. 

Iona’s new itinerary is shown below:

Saturday 12th February - Southampton - Depart 19:00
Sunday 13th February - At Sea 
Monday 14th February - At Sea 
Tuesday 15th February - Lisbon - Arrive 09:00 - Depart 17:00
Wednesday 16th February - Vigo - Arrive 09:30 - Depart 18:00
Thursday 17th February - La Coruna - Arrive 08:00 - Depart 17:00
Friday 18th February - At Sea 
Saturday 19th February - Southampton - Arrive 07:00

You may already be aware that Portugal has announced that all guests who wish to go ashore must now complete a Passenger Locator Form (PLF) for Lisbon.  With this in mind, all guests (of all ages) who are planning to go ashore in Lisbon either independently or on an organised shore experience, must complete a PLF within 96 hours (4 days) before going ashore.  

The form can be accessed online via the following link, https://portugalcleanandsafe.com/en/passenger-locator-maritime-card.  Once complete a QR code is generated and a confirmation PDF with the QR code will be sent to the email address you have provided.  The QR code must be carried ashore either in digital or paper format.  

Please note a new UK Passenger Locator Form will need to be completed in line with the revised itinerary.

All pre booked shore experiences for Iona’s original itinerary will be cancelled and refunded to you in full.  A variety of new and exciting shore experiences for Lisbon, Vigo and La Coruna will be available to purchase once on board.  

Whilst we certainly hope that you will continue with your upcoming holiday, given the relatively significant change to your itinerary, should you wish to discuss these changes and/or your options further, please contact your travel agent, or our Customer Contact Centre on 03453 555 111 if you have booked with us directly. 

We are so pleased to have been able to make these new arrangements and include some wonderful ports of call.  We look forward to welcoming you on board Iona. 

Best wishes

The P&O Cruises team

• Like 1

Well well well , I’m very pleased at these ports and though I’m on the next cruise to canaries it’s some different ports to get , so Vigo, la Coruna, and getting Lisbon which was taken away from us so to me winner winner, just some paperwork to sort out , at least you will get some sun and heat , but I’m sure there’s going to be some people upset about it .🤦‍♀️

• Like 1