Iona - 12th - 19th Feb - Is it likely to go ahead?

johnnylikely

Check your travel insurance is valid for Spain. Some policies such as mine are valid for Europe (restricted) which does not include Spain. I am not concerned because I am hopefully going to Norway but I thought it might catch some people out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Check your travel insurance is valid for Spain. Some policies such as mine are valid for Europe (restricted) which does not include Spain. I am not concerned because I am hopefully going to Norway but I thought it might catch some people out.

I'm amazed that any insurance policy that covered Europe would exclude Spain. Totally illogical, and somewhat unbelievable. 

What does "restricted" mean ?  

Has been a separate category for a number of years.  All UK policies had a clause inserted about using your as then EHIC for medical cover in the first instance.  Clause was effectively a get out for insurer to lower their liabilities.  At one point Spain and Greece were not honouring EHIC due to financial consequences within their countries.  As a consequence the insurers started a new group of the restricted European countries and the countries remain separated for travel insurance as a result.

The basic principle still remains after Brexit, there are two groups of European countries for insurance and it is based on what the underwriter can expect to recover if you don't use your GHIC as it now is.

All policies have this get out and everyone includes these countries separately.  Annual policies are also bought based on Group 1 or Group 2 cover.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Has been a separate category for a number of years.  All UK policies had a clause inserted about using your as then EHIC for medical cover in the first instance.  Clause was effectively a get out for insurer to lower their liabilities.  At one point Spain and Greece were not honouring EHIC due to financial consequences within their countries.  As a consequence the insurers started a new group of the restricted European countries and the countries remain separated for travel insurance as a result.

The basic principle still remains after Brexit, there are two groups of European countries for insurance and it is based on what the underwriter can expect to recover if you don't use your GHIC as it now is.

All policies have this get out and everyone includes these countries separately.  Annual policies are also bought based on Group 1 or Group 2 cover.

Thank you for the explanation.  Every day is a school day !

We only buy annual policies, and no European countries have ever been excluded, hence my confusion.

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Thank you for the explanation.  Every day is a school day !

We only buy annual policies, and no European countries have ever been excluded, hence my confusion.

Yes if you have worldwide cover you wouldn't be aware of it.  It's a bit like worldwide with the USA and Caribbean or without these countries.  All based purely on risk.

• Like 1

The change to Spain is an important insurance consideration as set our above. Just spoke to Holiday Extras recommended by P&O as well as the travel agent near Chesterfield. They now want £200 more for father in law. So far P&O only offer the cancellation route due to the itinerary change. 

11 hours ago, davecttr said:

Thank you for that reminder. Policy updated now.

I do feel P&O should at least give a bit extra OBC for these extra costs and stress caused.

It would have been nice if in the P&O email they had taken the trouble to point out the insurance issue.

Edited by MX-Drew
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, LifeonMars said:

If you take the Drinks package, then you will not have the extra Spanish Tax on your drink. Food for thought.

True but how long are we in Spanish waters for?

As I have said elsewhere, I’m in contact with a crew member on Iona and they have advised me not to get the package (I usually do) because of the price rise on Iona and now a lot of drinks are not included in the package.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, LifeonMars said:

If you take the Drinks package, then you will not have the extra Spanish Tax on your drink. Food for thought.

Which only applies when in port , so negligible in the scale of things. 

Edited by wowzz