Stateroom PV-2 5034

Linda0425

Can anyone tell me if this stateroom  has the sliding veranda doors or a door and a window with a large wall in between the 2?   I know they are the same on all of the ships.. This will happen to be on the Orion, but it doesn't make a difference. Thanks

You have a slider,  Linda.  We've had both with PV's and much prefer the slider to the  door.   You'll love your location, too.  We had 5029 for the Mediterranean Odyssey and just went out and up/down the stairs,  elevator.   It was wonderful and totally quiet.  Enjoy 😉

We were in 5021 for a 2 week cruise and also loved the location due to its elevator/stairway proximity.  We had a window instead of a slider and LOVED it.  We wanted the location and only windows were left.  We had a slider before so thought we would try it.  We actually prefer the window now.  The window was large and wide with no horizontal bar.  It was right where the sofa with end table were located so the view was excellent.  The chair sat at the small wall between the window and door and the curtains could be pushed in back of it.  The desk was located by the glass door also offering a good view and light when at the desk.  We don't tend to leave a slider open so that wasn't an issue for us.  The door could be propped open and it did have a pressurized soft close to keep it from slamming.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

We were in 5021 for a 2 week cruise and also loved the location due to its elevator/stairway proximity.  We had a window instead of a slider and LOVED it.  We wanted the location and only windows were left.  We had a slider before so thought we would try it.  We actually prefer the window now.  The window was large and wide with no horizontal bar.  It was right where the sofa with end table were located so the view was excellent.  The chair sat at the small wall between the window and door and the curtains could be pushed in back of it.  The desk was located by the glass door also offering a good view and light when at the desk.  We don't tend to leave a slider open so that wasn't an issue for us.  The door could be propped open and it did have a pressurized soft close to keep it from slamming.

The view from the couch and desk are the main reasons we want to try the window configuration. The slider we had before was nice from the bed but you can’t see out when sitting on the couch. And since you’re not supposed to keep the door open while in the room, that kind of squashed that slider benefit.

We’ve got a guaranteed room on our September cruise, so we’ll get what we get. But I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a window/door room.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Twitchly said:

The view from the couch and desk are the main reasons we want to try the window configuration. The slider we had before was nice from the bed but you can’t see out when sitting on the couch. And since you’re not supposed to keep the door open while in the room, that kind of squashed that slider benefit.

We’ve got a guaranteed room on our September cruise, so we’ll get what we get. But I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a window/door room.

Yep, we had some PV slider friends over to our room to check it out and they liked it also.  It is okay to keep the door open on a slider if you are in your room during the day.  However we would be wasting the AC or the heat for that period of time.  Every cruise we had either cold weather or warm and humid weather and we didn't want to leave it open anyways.  With the cold weather one of us would be yelling - close the frigging door!

7 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Yep, we had some PV slider friends over to our room to check it out and they liked it also.  It is okay to keep the door open on a slider if you are in your room during the day. 

Are you sure? I read something here on CC about how leaving the door open messes up the HVAC system in other people’s rooms. I’d love to leave our door open if it’s allowed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Twitchly said:

Are you sure? I read something here on CC about how leaving the door open messes up the HVAC system in other people’s rooms. I’d love to leave our door open if it’s allowed.

On our first Viking cruise our room steward gave us a thorough introduction to all our room details and workings.  He showed us how to open and lock the slider and told us if it was not completely closed it would effect the workings of our HVAC system.  Each room is individually climate controlled and air is not exchanged with any other room.  The lack of air circulation with other rooms is a bonus for their Health and Safety plan as an airborne virus from the hall or another stateroom won't find its way in.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

On our first Viking cruise our room steward gave us a thorough introduction to all our room details and workings.  He showed us how to open and lock the slider and told us if it was not completely closed it would effect the workings of our HVAC system.  Each room is individually climate controlled and air is not exchanged with any other room.  The lack of air circulation with other rooms is a bonus for their Health and Safety plan as an airborne virus from the hall or another stateroom won't find its way in.  

Here’s what I remembered reading about this:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2387620-air-conditioning-on-off/

See comments from Chengkp75. Apparently it unfortunately does affect other people’s AC.

Edited by Twitchly

1 hour ago, Twitchly said:

Here’s what I remembered reading about this:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2387620-air-conditioning-on-off/

See comments from Chengkp75. Apparently it unfortunately does affect other people’s AC.

Thank you.  Besides safety, its another reason to keep the slider closed most of the time.

One couple currently on the Star says they leave their slider open at night to hear the waves.  When we got into bad weather last week, one of their deck chairs came crashing into their room!  Our slider stays closed, every ship, every trip unless we are going out onto the balcony.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, WNcruiser said:

Is there an easy way to tell which room has the slider and which has the window? (Viking newbie).

EDIT: I just found the spreadsheet on the other thread.  Thank you

could you please post it or direct me?  Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I just got reassigned to this room on the Sky. We were assigned to 5009 originally, which is closer to the front. 5034 is closer to the middle, so I am hoping it will help with motion. We have done one other cruise and didn’t struggle with sea sickness, but it was a much larger ship on pretty calm seas.