Cancelled my first Crystal Cruise and rebooked on Celebrity

Jim_Iain

This is copied from the Crystal Boards.  In terms of some other line wanting to acquire Symphony.

There would be very little interest from the major lines, simply due to her age.  Her technology is not the problem, it is simply age.  When a ship reaches 15 years of age, the curve of maintenance cost vs time, starts to rise in an exponential way.  First, at 15 years, the ship is no longer able to bypass a second drydock in 5 years by using an underwater survey.  So, drydocking costs double, as you do 2 dockings every 5 years, not one.  Second, at 15 years, therequired inspections of hull and framing steel start to become serious (thousands of ultrasonic thickness tests at various locations), and these inspections start to lead to steel renewals, at greater and greater cost.  At 25 years,these costs become very significant.  This is why the major, mainstream cruise lines generally sell their older ships tosmaller lines with different business models, and differentprofit margins.

•  
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

This is copied from the Crystal Boards.  In terms of some other line wanting to acquire Symphony.

There would be very little interest from the major lines, simply due to her age.  Her technology is not the problem, it is simply age.  When a ship reaches 15 years of age, the curve of maintenance cost vs time, starts to rise in an exponential way.  First, at 15 years, the ship is no longer able to bypass a second drydock in 5 years by using an underwater survey.  So, drydocking costs double, as you do 2 dockings every 5 years, not one.  Second, at 15 years, therequired inspections of hull and framing steel start to become serious (thousands of ultrasonic thickness tests at various locations), and these inspections start to lead to steel renewals, at greater and greater cost.  At 25 years,these costs become very significant.  This is why the major, mainstream cruise lines generally sell their older ships tosmaller lines with different business models, and differentprofit margins.

•  

Is this an opinion from a member or is it from an article?

Here is an article on potential players to buy Crystal.  

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/26647-players-in-a-likely-crystal-cruises-acquisition.html?fbclid=IwAR0j0pu1oDCyX2svIfPJ-VEa1_LSNyYfgYF9kZPRk2KbtAJ395KeRT7LYC0

Edited by TeeRick
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

I always find it amusing that these news reporters probably sift through hundreds of people until they find one or two that will tell the story they are seeking- even if it is not an accurate reflection of the experience by most on board.  So I ignore these type of interviews entirely.

I agree 100%.

Back in 1989 big earthquake in San Francisco, we lost electricity and phone service for 3 days.    When calls started coming through my brother said thank God your OK.  Is it as bad as they are showing on TV?   I asked what they were showing as we still didn't have TV service.    He said  hundreds of buildings collapsed and people laying dead in the street.   While there was some heavy damage 50 miles away we had no damage except my favorite Edinburgh Crystal Cordial glass.   We laughed as we used the 3 days off work to paint the inside of our house.

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I agree 100%.

Back in 1989 big earthquake in San Francisco, we lost electricity and phone service for 3 days.    When calls started coming through my brother said thank God your OK.  Is it as bad as they are showing on TV?   I asked what they were showing as we still didn't have TV service.    He said  hundreds of buildings collapsed and people laying dead in the street.   While there was some heavy damage 50 miles away we had no damage except my favorite Edinburgh Crystal Cordial glass.   We laughed as we used the 3 days off work to paint the inside of our house.

The more sensational the story, the more money they make.