Cancelled my first Crystal Cruise and rebooked on Celebrity

Jim_Iain

Attempted to post this (#47 as a response to Jim_lian) but didn't post right so trying again.

We also wanted to try Crystal and came so close to booking January 8-22. I was especially excited about a Nobu restaurant on board (Umi Uma). Getting close to booking, I called and asked about the COVID policies in place in case you unfortunately test positive at the pier when they administer their test. I was told, "Get insurance".  In December we sailed Silversea-full refund or FCC if positive. For January, we booked a "back to back" Oceania to Celebrity Edge cruise. You all know Celebrity's policies. Oceania simply said to arrive with a negative test result within 48 hours and if their test comes out positive, you are covered. Fair to me.  

Glad we took the O to X cruise rather than Crystal!!. Still sorry for those fighting to get their money back. While on Celebrity a couple of days ago, we heard the Crystal ship was not returning to Miami and was instead docking in Bimini and transferring passengers to Miami via ferry. Their ship can't be seized in Bimini where it would be seized in Miami. 

29 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I'll bet Crystal gets sold off in a fire sail and a large cruise corporation grabs it as a crown jewel on the cheap.  IMO it will not go away permanently.

Their 3 ships would fit nicely with other luxury cruise lines, like Regent and Seabourne. The Symphony will not be going anywhere soon, Crystal has no money for fuel and supplies and they already owe the Port of Miami close to 2 million for fuel charges, She will be in Bimini for some time.

Family members had a Crystal cruise for 2023 booked that they decided to cancel 6 weeks ago before all of the bankrupcy issues. They still haven't received a refund for their deposit. They called Chase to dispute and were told Chase wouldn't cover charge disputes involving bankruptcy.

Edited by bajathree

11 minutes ago, bajathree said:

Family members had a Crystal cruise for 2023 booked that they decided to cancel 6 weeks ago before all of the bankrupcy issues. They still haven't received a refund for their deposit. They called Chase to dispute and were told Chase wouldn't cover charge disputes involving bankruptcy.

The trip cancellation insurance benefit from the Chase Sapphire cards was changed at the end of 2019 to exclude covering costs for trips cancelled from a vendor's insolvency.  This shouldn't affect the credit card payment itself to the insolvent vendor.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bajathree said:

From what I've bee reading on the Crystal board, there hasn't been a declared bankruptcy YET and folks are getting their deposit back via credit card.

38 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

From what I've bee reading on the Crystal board, there hasn't been a declared bankruptcy YET and folks are getting their deposit back via credit card.

Passed the info on....hopefully they will get a refund...still nothing.

This is so funny (not) but we were about to book a cruise on Crystal Serenity.  After our December 2021 Millennium cruise, we wanted to try something a bit more upscale and went through Crystal's itineraries until we found just the right one.  Their itineraries are/were really lovely. 

Then, of course, I started following the bankruptcy of Crystal's parent company and decided to wait a bit more.  Good thing.  We ended up booking something on Celebrity Edge for December 2022 yesterday.

3 hours ago, bajathree said:

I think it depends on when they made their deposit. If you go over to the Crystal board there is a lot of discussion on this. I think if deposits were within a year the monies were put into an escrow account and will be disbursed. Double check on this over there and ask the question.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I think it depends on when they made their deposit. If you go over to the Crystal board there is a lot of discussion on this. I think if deposits were within a year the monies were put into an escrow account and will be disbursed. Double check on this over there and ask the question.

They ended up cancelling only about 2 weeks after making deposit....so we are talking about 8 weeks about they created the reservation and deposited it.

10 minutes ago, bajathree said:

They ended up cancelling only about 2 weeks after making deposit....so we are talking about 8 weeks about they created the reservation and deposited it.

I am not sure I will be accurate but double check on this. Crystal was having financial problems for some time, therefore, they were instructed that all deposits had to be put in an escrow account. If this money has been put in within the past year I think they will be refunded from the escrow account. The timing of this is the important part.

13 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I am not sure I will be accurate but double check on this. Crystal was having financial problems for some time, therefore, they were instructed that all deposits had to be put in an escrow account. If this money has been put in within the past year I think they will be refunded from the escrow account. The timing of this is the important part.

They just called back Chase again and spoke to them and Chase has temporarily refunded them the amount due pending review of the dispute claim they just started ....so they will see where it goes from here.

Edited by bajathree
  • Like 3

On 1/23/2022 at 6:48 PM, Jim_Iain said:

I was just reading another post and the ship that docked in Bimini today transferred passengers to a Ferry Service back to Miami.    Passengers are feeling abandoned and let down.

I was aboard that cruise and I didn’t find anyone felt “abandoned and let down”. Crystal gave us the full program even on the additional day. Many expressed concern for the dedicated crew and were hopeful that their favorite line would return.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Orator said:

I was aboard that cruise and I didn’t find anyone felt “abandoned and let down”. Crystal gave us the full program even on the additional day. Many expressed concern for the dedicated crew and were hopeful that their favorite line would return.

Just curious don't know you received the update of Captain Club from Andrea Shey since you no more with Celebrity.

1 hour ago, verizon said:

Just curious don't know you received the update of Captain Club from Andrea Shey since you no more with Celebrity.

Yes! I booked a cruise with X using FCC. I’m only through with X until they change some of their policies. Current prices make luxury lines look better.

After only cruising with Celebrity we took our first cruise on the Symphony in December. Glad we didn’t wait longer.    While the ship itself is older and in need of refurbishment the crew was absolutely unbelievable as was the food.   After following the Crystal board for a few years, I could understand the tears shed by many at it’s demise.  It truly was, IMHO, a different cruising experience I doubt we are able to replicate even on Silversea or Regent.   We still LOVE Celebrity and can’t wait to be onboard the Apex in March.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Orator said:

Glad you didn't feel abandoned.    The reports I saw was a live interview with a passenger on CBS News Possibly the passenger was not as seasoned a cruiser as you.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Glad you didn't feel abandoned.    The reports I saw was a live interview with a passenger on CBS News Possibly the passenger was not as seasoned a cruiser as you.

I did not see the CBS story, but I can tell you that no one I spoke to had anything but praise for the cruise and the service of the crew. The ferry ride was rough, but the seas are not controlled by any cruise line. Crystal could have done what. Renaissance did and leave the passengers to their own, but they made every attempt to assist passengers by providing transportation to the airports. Hope to see you and Iain sooner than later.

• Like 1

The reporters were lined up at Port Everglades and they interviewed passengers as they were about to board the buses that would take them to their flights from Miami. They had a rough ferry ride and most had to change their flight plans at least once or twice. They were exhausted and worried with thoughts of missing flights. Probably the worst time to share your thoughts with an interviewer. 

Edited by Orator
  • Like 2

We have sailed twice on Crystal, once for 21 days on the Serenity and then for 30 days on the Symphony. On both cruises the food and service was outstanding, but their Enrichment programs to include the speakers they provided on sea days was truly outstanding!! We’re hoping, along with everyone else, Crystal comes out of this and will be offering outstanding cruises once again very soon.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I always find it amusing that these news reporters probably sift through hundreds of people until they find one or two that will tell the story they are seeking- even if it is not an accurate reflection of the experience by most on board.  So I ignore these type of interviews entirely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 1/25/2022 at 8:51 AM, TeeRick said:

I'll bet Crystal gets sold off in a fire sail and a large cruise corporation grabs it as a crown jewel on the cheap.  IMO it will not go away permanently.

On 1/25/2022 at 9:24 AM, terrydtx said:

Their 3 ships would fit nicely with other luxury cruise lines, like Regent and Seabourne. The Symphony will not be going anywhere soon, Crystal has no money for fuel and supplies and they already owe the Port of Miami close to 2 million for fuel charges, She will be in Bimini for some time.

SOMEONE...SOMEWHERE has to pay to have their ship docked in Bimini.  SOMEONE....SOMEWHERE has to pay the $2M for fuel.  Assuming all personnel from the ship are now unemployed.

But, the creditors are going to want their pound of flesh.  Maybe a fire sale.  Depends on what the creditors and the asset (lien) holders will settle for.

Being in the cruise business right now isn't exactly where the money is flowing.