DRINKING (VIRGIN) ON A CRUISE

Missymo

I have been asked to start a thread,  drinking while cruising.   Since I cannot drink (medical) I thought we could start mentioning what people drink (non alcoholic) while cruising, or  just.partying. I was reduced to drinking water whenever I traveled, til a friend suggested to have a "virgin" drink.  I will start with a few I have learned over the last few years.  I have added ingredients for anyone with allergies     Please add to the list, so we can party with the rest of them. 

Raspberry,lemon drop Martini.                                                       Fresh (or defrosted  frozen) Raspberry's, Lemon, lemon lime soda , sugar 

Virgin Sunset (trying this one in two weeks)                                 Equal parts OJ, pinapple juice, cranberry juice over ice Stir with genadine syrup, cherry on top

Miami Vice (my fav)                                                                           pineapple juice, coconut cream, half and half, ice, strawberry puree

Strawberry margarita                                                                           Ice, water strawberry, lime juice  and agave nectar 

Mud slide,                                                                                               vanilla ice cream, chocolate syrup, hazelnut syrup  heavy cream,  (cold coffee) optional )I personally cannot have caffeine so wanted put as optional 

Pina Colada.                                                                                    ice diced pineapple, pineapple juice, Coco Lopez coconut cream, Pinapple slices                                     .                     

Edited by Missymo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

My husband does not drink and likes the "zero proof cocktails" on the menu, particularly the mint lemonade. He really likes a virgin Mary in the morning.

We were  on Apex just a few weeks ago and the bartenders (particularly in Eden) would make their own creations for him. 

My daughter is not yet of drinking age and she doesn't like carbonated beverages, tea or coffee. This makes finding drinks while travelling a challenge - as even many mocktails include something fizzy! She's been pretty pleased with the availability of Mudslides and virgin daiquiris on the Celebrity ships, however, and additionally the servers and bartenders are great for suggestions or even just surprising with something that fits within specific requests (i.e. non-alcoholic, fruity, no carbonation). I'm pretty sure I ordered her something "frozen with pineapple and orange" from the pool bar on our last cruise, and she loved it.

15 hours ago, Missymo said:

I have been asked to start a thread,  drinking while cruising.   Since I cannot drink (medical) I thought we could start mentioning what people drink (non alcoholic) while cruising, or  just.partying. I was reduced to drinking water whenever I traveled, til a friend suggested to have a "virgin" drink.  I will start with a few I have learned over the last few years.  I have added ingredients for anyone with allergies     Please add to the list, so we can party with the rest of them. 

Raspberry,lemon drop Martini.                                                       Fresh (or defrosted  frozen) Raspberry's, Lemon, lemon lime soda , sugar 

Virgin Sunset (trying this one in two weeks)                                 Equal parts OJ, pinapple juice, cranberry juice over ice Stir with genadine syrup, cherry on top

Miami Vice (my fav)                                                                           pineapple juice, coconut cream, half and half, ice, strawberry puree

Strawberry margarita                                                                           Ice, water strawberry, lime juice  and agave nectar 

Mud slide,                                                                                               vanilla ice cream, chocolate syrup, hazelnut syrup  heavy cream,  (cold coffee) optional )I personally cannot have caffeine so wanted put as optional 

Pina Colada.                                                                                    ice diced pineapple, pineapple juice, Coco Lopez coconut cream, Pinapple slices                                     .                     

Another one my Granddaughter added for me.  Apple cider ( optional a 1/2 shot (or less) of vodka.  I brought my own Imported Apple cider onboard gives me a sense of contentment for a drink. Fortunately the tiny amount of vodka I added  did  not affect me.  

A virgin drink I found that was not good in the Retreat at the pool was Unsweet iced tea with a lemon. Just wanted to pass this along to Celebrity.  I also do not know why Celebrity does not offer Hard Seltzer water of any brand. I asked for it at numerous bars but not one of them carried it.

15 hours ago, Missymo said:

Thank you for posting this list on non-alcoholic drinks or mocktails!  Anyway I tried to look up where the term "virgin" cocktail came from.  It is an interesting search if you care to find more info.

I like most of the smoothies in the Spa/Aquaspa Café, especially the detox smoothie.  They have all the ingredients out there, so you can play around with what they put in the smoothie.

Another refreshing one is a few dashes of your favorite bitters in club soda with a squeeze of lemon or lime.  I don't know what bitters they have around other than Angostura (which I like, so that works), but it could be worth asking.  Since many bitters have a little bit of alcohol in them, I don't if it's a suitable drink for someone with an alcohol allergy or dependency, but it's essentially alcohol free otherwise.

Aside from the ones already mentioned, these are some of the non-alcoholic drinks Celebrity offers that we enjoy:

• Watermelon Tropic - Monin watermelon, lime juice, pineapple juice
  • Peach Sangria - Monin peach, pineapple juice, soda water
  • Cranberry Mule - cranberry juice, ginger beer, mint, agave nectar, soda water

I also don't drink alcohol because it triggers migraines but have never found it difficult to find things I can drink.

Celebrity carries a Non-Alcoholic  Wine called Fre by Sutter Hill.    They have a Champagne, White, Rose and Red.   I don't particularly like the Champagne or white but enjoy the Rose and Red. 

I was once at a Chef's Table dinner which included pairing.  The Sommelier poured me a Fre for each course.   While I am sure it is not the same as wine at least I didn't feel left out.  

When we hit Zenith, for our ceremony conducted by the Captain on the bridge, they poured the Champagne for the Captain and me. 

• Like 2

@Missymo  Thanks for starting the thread.   There are a lot of people who don't drink or are looking for good choices other than alcohol. 

While not officially a drink,   I love the Affagato at al Bacio.   A scoop of Gelato with chocolate syrup and a shot of espresso poured over the top.

• Like 4

I will usually let the bartender make his ""alcohol free specialty" after giving him my likes and dislikes.  They enjoy making those as much as for folks who ask for an alcohol full version.  And each bartender will have their own.  I get to try different drinks I may not have had before.  The fun of the unknown.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

...While not officially a drink,   I love the Affagato at al Bacio.   A scoop of Gelato with chocolate syrup and a shot of espresso poured over the top.

Are you kidding me?!?!  Now my cruise in March can't come fast enough!  🙂  I need to keep my eyes more open from now on.  

• Like 1

Thanks for starting the thread.  One made for me by a bartender in MSC's Yacht Club when I told him I didn't care for sweet drinks was a virgin pomegranate mojito.  I've been able to get this on Celebrity as well.  I like the suggestion above of letting the bartender come up with something.  I'll bet they enjoy the chance to be creative.

Jim, the Sutter Fre I've only found in the Retreat.  The wonderful sommelier on one cruise introduced me to it.  When I asked for it in the Yacht Club, they looked at me like I was crazy.  Non-alcoholic wine is apparently not a thing on MSC. 

I wonder what the non alcoholic beers are, if any, and are they any good?  I do drink but I've thought about ways I might reduce my alcohol consumption.  I tried non alcoholic wines a few years ago but didn't enjoy them much.  I did see the note about Fre.

5 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I wonder what the non alcoholic beers are, if any, and are they any good?  I do drink but I've thought about ways I might reduce my alcohol consumption.  I tried non alcoholic wines a few years ago but didn't enjoy them much.  I did see the note about Fre.

I don't know what's on board, but German NA beers tend to be pretty good.  At the very least, they are decent. That's what you can get from a culture that appreciates both a good beer and keeping their heads about them.

American ones are less so, but there are some good ones out there, and the whole bunch are getting better as a whole.

34 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

I don't know what's on board, but German NA beers tend to be pretty good.  At the very least, they are decent. That's what you can get from a culture that appreciates both a good beer and keeping their heads about them.

American ones are less so, but there are some good ones out there, and the whole bunch are getting better as a whole.

Celebrity's "standard" non-alcoholic beer was O'Douls which is not very good.  Recently, they have been stocking Heineken 0.0 which is better but not as good as many others now available.  When we stay in a suite, we have always requested specific non-alcoholic beers we prefer, and they make them available in our suite, the Retreat lounge & sundeck (bar) and, if we go to a specialty restaurant, will deliver what we want there.  And, of course, they get them to Luminae as a usual dinner venue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Jim, the Sutter Fre I've only found in the Retreat.  The wonderful sommelier on one cruise introduced me to it.  When I asked for it in the Yacht Club, they looked at me like I was crazy.  Non-alcoholic wine is apparently not a thing on MSC. 

We've found that the Fre non-alcoholic wine is available in many venues... not just the Retreat but also others.  Sometimes it does asking "twice" since it's not something that some venues have readily available but will get it for you if asked.

16 minutes ago, colliercruiser said:

We've found that the Fre non-alcoholic wine is available in many venues... not just the Retreat but also others.  Sometimes it does asking "twice" since it's not something that some venues have readily available but will get it for you if asked.

This was our experience, as well.  We've had Fre in several of the restaurants.  We just asked. 

I know smoothies and juices from Spa Cafe aren’t included in the classic package (can’t get my head round that when they cost less than $9) but what about all these mocktails mentioned in this thread? Would they be covered in the classic package? We cruise in July and some of these drinks would be right up my daughter’s street.

3 minutes ago, Scottishclover said:

I know smoothies and juices from Spa Cafe aren’t included in the classic package (can’t get my head round that when they cost less than $9) but what about all these mocktails mentioned in this thread? Would they be covered in the classic package? We cruise in July and some of these drinks would be right up my daughter’s street.

I would say yes to 99% of them..if not all.