Apex: Pre-book dining or not with lower passenger count?

garyl62

We're giving some advice to first timers who we had planned to cruise with until work schedules changed so now they are sailing on there own.  

In the past I had encouraged them to book different dining rooms in advance to get a desirable dining time, but they also like flexibility in both time and location so I'm wondering how busy the dining rooms are now with less passengers onboard.  They sail in a month so things can change, but if it's easy to walk in anyplace and get a table quickly I'll let them know so they can feel more relaxed about just not planning anything before they sail.

Thanks for the feedback

Are you asking about specialty restaurants or MDR?  We were on the Edge the  4 MDRs there was no need for a reservation.  
Specialty restaurants were a different story.  The Rooftop Grill was available but booked sufficiently that it was the only specialty offering a discount -$5.  We were there 1 evening and it was as full as the staff could handle.  It seemed to us that the restaurants were not staffed to  level pre pandemic level to account for reduced passenger count.

58 minutes ago, wildcats40 said:

When I looked to book a reservation (in March) for a specialty dining room I found a lot of days and times were already booked

They do that on purpose-- It's a part of  " Doing Business " .

Last week there was a similar thread about Specialty Restaurant reservations where  I commented on my approach to " try " and get a reservation when it appeared they were all booked up , AND was " cut to pieces " by a few CCers . 

I'll try again--- 

As soon as you get on board , bypass the " slugfest on 14 " ( buffet ) and go straight to the Specialty Restaurant( s) of your choice and speak to the Maitre'd .

When he/she tells you they are all booked --- they probably ( ?? )will ask for your cabin number " in case " there is a cancellation ( which quite often there are ). 

What I have done which offended some CCers  , but , worked many times :

I tell the Maitre'd (  with a wink, a smile, and receive the same back from him/her ) that I know how to say " Thank You " ( yes, indicating a few $$ ) for their help.

What's wrong with that ??

Happens on land , happens on cruise ships !

• Like 2

I admire folks that can plan for dinner time months in advance..I don't know what time I'll eat tonight.  🙂

But with lower capacity, I doubt there will be any issues, especially in MDR's...

The two cruises I have been on recently have been a breeze...specialties and MDR.  One Royal and one Celebrity....  Maybe they had more crew on duty then...Aug and Sept.  

If the passenger count is reduced, then so is the staff count. Further, on my cruises in July and Dec, the tables were not allowed to be filled (because they didn't have the staff to accommodate the service). Therefore, if you want to be sure to get a reservation (especially for a specific time/date, then you are better off pre-booking.) In fact, you may be even less likely to get a reservation at all under the current circumstances.

3 hours ago, Pinboy said:

They do that on purpose-- It's a part of  " Doing Business " .

Last week there was a similar thread about Specialty Restaurant reservations where  I commented on my approach to " try " and get a reservation when it appeared they were all booked up , AND was " cut to pieces " by a few CCers . 

I'll try again--- 

As soon as you get on board , bypass the " slugfest on 14 " ( buffet ) and go straight to the Specialty Restaurant( s) of your choice and speak to the Maitre'd .

When he/she tells you they are all booked --- they probably ( ?? )will ask for your cabin number " in case " there is a cancellation ( which quite often there are ). 

What I have done which offended some CCers  , but , worked many times :

I tell the Maitre'd (  with a wink, a smile, and receive the same back from him/her ) that I know how to say " Thank You " ( yes, indicating a few $$ ) for their help.

What's wrong with that ??

Happens on land , happens on cruise ships !

For what it i$ worth, I like your approach in your previou$ po$t

• Thanks 1

Greetings

We just got off Apex last Saturday.  We did make MDR reservations for each night but once aboard we ended up just going when/where we wanted.  There was never a wait and the staff was always happy to accommodate us.  Things may change as the ships return to full capacity.

Good Sailing

Tom

• Like 1