Love the Rotterdam Library. Partial list of Books in it.

travelbug615

50 minutes ago, albingirl said:

It's a shame that the NS has zero books onboard to borrow.  Oh, I forgot.  The HAL bosses were afraid passengers were stealing the books and bringing them home.  You know, petty theft.

Sounds more like an excuse they made up to justify penny pinching than a real reason.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 2/4/2022 at 4:07 PM, kazu said:

Unless HAL restores it, none of the Vista (of which Zuiderdam is) or Signature ships have a library.

the only ones that retained them were the R class - Zaandam & Volendam.

Let’s hope the Rotterdam is a sign & the other Pinnacle class ships will follow suit along with the Signature & Vista class.

While it’s a good list, it does not compare to what used to be on board some of the ship’s libraries - especially the Prinsendam (very extensive) and the prior Rotterdam.

Since the Zuiderdam is being used for the '23, '24 WC's and for the 35-day VOV, let's hope that the ship's December rehab will include a library.  I am not enthusiastic about a 128-day WC without a library.  The lack of it will be a big reason for cancelling the WC.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, rgoldstein86 said:

can someone explain how the library works? Do you "check out" books? buy them? is it open and operated under the honor code? 

Thanks in advance!

My experience with most cruise ship libraries is that they operate on the honor system without any checkout process for the hardback titles in the ship library.  Libraries vary quite a lot; it's not unusual for the "Library" that shows on a deck plan to be pretty empty of books.  I've found Oceania pretty good for libraries, and other lines a mixed bag (Majestic Princess was a bad joke in that category).  

There is also usually a corner of "take one - leave one" paperbacks donated by guests; I will usually pack a few extra paperbacks when setting out on a trip that I don't plan to bring home.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, curmudgeon98 said:

My experience with most cruise ship libraries is that they operate on the honor system without any checkout process for the hardback titles in the ship library.  Libraries vary quite a lot; it's not unusual for the "Library" that shows on a deck plan to be pretty empty of books.  I've found Oceania pretty good for libraries, and other lines a mixed bag (Majestic Princess was a bad joke in that category).  

There is also usually a corner of "take one - leave one" paperbacks donated by guests; I will usually pack a few extra paperbacks when setting out on a trip that I don't plan to bring home.

When there was a dedicated librarian, the system worked much life a public library.  (There were no complaints of which I was aware.)  Since that position, which before elimination also included someone who could help with computer issues. it has been an honor system.  I am also one of those who "leave one and take one", but have never left the ship with one of those books.  I have left more books than I ever "took one" during a cruise.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, albingirl said:

It's a shame that the NS has zero books onboard to borrow.  Oh, I forgot.  The HAL bosses were afraid passengers were stealing the books and bringing them home.  You know, petty theft.

And I'm sure Godmother Oprah was surprised NS didn't have a library for her book club. I also heard they were losing more books but also hiring cut to staff the libraries on the other ships. Can't wait to board Rotterdam this month and see the library...even if you can no longer sit on Prominade and read. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

Since the Zuiderdam is being used for the '23, '24 WC's and for the 35-day VOV, let's hope that the ship's December rehab will include a library.  I am not enthusiastic about a 128-day WC without a library.  The lack of it will be a big reason for cancelling the WC.

Update:  It has been reported on the '23 WC thread that the library on the Zuiderdam will be restored during its December, '22, drydock.  Yay!

• Like 5

On 10/3/2022 at 5:02 PM, rgoldstein86 said:

can someone explain how the library works?

You visit the library and take a book.....or books....and then there is a place to return them once you are done.  Honor system. 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...