Bermuda Travel restrictions

S&LMom

2 minutes ago, Laurab23 said:

I am not very good with computers and don't even know how to upload anything so this all has me very concerned. I can't be the only one with these concerns. 

Laura

Perhaps a family member or friend can help you. Sometimes in local libraries or senior centers there are people who can assist with computer usage.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Laurab23 said:

I am not very good with computers and don't even know how to upload anything so this all has me very concerned. I can't be the only one with these concerns. 

Laura

As you are posting on CC, I assume you have a device you can use for reading, bringing up forms, and filling them in.  If you are like us, it ends there, as we do not have smartphones.  This was not a problem doing the info needed for our recent cruise.  We did our checkin on our laptops, and printed our boarding passes and luggage tags.  (Do you have access to a printer?  We bought one for this purpose.)  We had our vax cards on paper.  Our covid test results came to our email, and we printed them.

I am not too concerned about adding the Bermuda requirements to our to-do list for our June cruise.  I expect to be able to fulfil them along the lines of what we did above.

4 hours ago, Laurab23 said:

What kind of computer do you have? I looked at the form and it won't be that hard to upload. As has been suggested there are ways to get help.

I was on a cruise to Bermuda from NYC in October.   On that cruise people showed up at the port in NYC without the Bermuda Travel Authorization because they didn't know how to apply, they were traveling during the application period, etc.  There were people at the port who helped the passengers apply and receive the Authorization before we left. I don't know if that will be the case this year, but there was a clear need for extra assistance. 

I did exactly what was suggested above. Created the applications (1 per passenger) a week in advance.  When the testing window opened, I received a reminder email to get the test. When I had the test results I uploaded it, and 45 minutes later I received an email with each Authorization.   I showed the Authorization on my phone, upon boarding,  and not again. I did not leave the ship, but was still required to have the Authorization  

In October we were required to have PCR tests (very expensive then in NYC). The costs of the tests for 3 people and the Bermuda fees totaled $960.  Looking forward to the less expensive,  less hassle process this year. 

"Uploading " is easier than it sounds. It's just a few clicks on a computer or smartphone.   If you have a computer or smartphone,  you might want to practice. 

12 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

As you are posting on CC, I assume you have a device you can use for reading, bringing up forms, and filling them in.  If you are like us, it ends there, as we do not have smartphones.  This was not a problem doing the info needed for our recent cruise.  We did our checkin on our laptops, and printed our boarding passes and luggage tags.  (Do you have access to a printer?  We bought one for this purpose.)  We had our vax cards on paper.  Our covid test results came to our email, and we printed them.

I am not too concerned about adding the Bermuda requirements to our to-do list for our June cruise.  I expect to be able to fulfil them along the lines of what we did above.

I do have a smartphone but limited knowledge how to use it other than pics,internet,phone calls and texts. I also have a printer and laptop. I'm sure I will figure it out or get help but it is added stress for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laurab23 said:

I do have a smartphone but limited knowledge how to use it other than pics,internet,phone calls and texts. I also have a printer and laptop. I'm sure I will figure it out or get help but it is added stress for me.

It seems to be easy and simple from a smartphone. From my iPhone anyway. Fill in info. Take photos of your documents. Chose from photo library to upload the document. Place to pay. You probably won’t need help. It has almost convinced me to book a Bermuda cruise. 😀

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, pathubia said:

Our cruise to Bermuda is April 15.  I haven't submitted anything yet, hoping for another 

travel update....

Pretty unlikely by April 15. Bermuda does not move that fast. They are slow movers. I believe they are committed to the travel authorizations until 2023. Their next change would probably be eliminatig the tests but still requiring proof of vaccination. That would still require the application. Their government seems pretty proud of the Travel Authorization and collecting the fees.  

Edited by Charles4515

6 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Pretty unlikely by April 15. Bermuda does not move that fast. They are slow movers. I believe they are committed to the travel authorizations until 2023. Their next change would probably be eliminatig the tests but still requiring proof of vaccination. That would still require the application. Their government seems pretty proud of the Travel Authorization and collecting the fees.  

True.  The timing of the testing is stressing me out, but doable.  We cruised last month and we got tested by NCL at the porr and it went pretty smoothly.

On 3/10/2022 at 12:38 PM, njhorseman said:

You'll get a reminder from Bermuda a few days before your sailing that you have to submit  your test results. It will give you a link to your application record so you can will upload the test report in a similar fashion to the way you uploaded your proof of vaccination when you originally submitted your application.

Don't fret. Bermuda had the same process in place last year and people were able to do it.

how does one get their 40$$ back if they fail their covid test and cannot cruise??Should we wait until we know we are negative and send our money and application in than??(2 days before cruise)

Thanks Cindy

5 hours ago, CruiserCindy said:

how does one get their 40$$ back if they fail their covid test and cannot cruise??Should we wait until we know we are negative and send our money and application in than??(2 days before cruise)

Thanks Cindy

The $40 fee is not refundable.  Bermuda does not want you to wait until you have your test results before submitting your application because it would be impossible for them to process all the applications for an arriving ship in the two days prior to embarkation.  Submitting the application about ten days in advance is is being suggested by at least one cruise line.

7 minutes ago, Dcpelletier said:

My husband and I are fully vaccinated. What happens if you are negative on the test prior to boarding but test positive on the test prior to arriving in Bermuda? What do they do with you?

I think the passenger would be quarantined. Isn't that what they do with any covid infected passengers? I suppose they might fly them home by private jet from Bermuda.....at the very least I expect infected passengers would be isolated to the quarantine deck. 

34 minutes ago, PC Skier said:

Does anyone know if you book an excursion through the cruise line does it cover the Bermuda fee and forms? 

It does not. The form is sent to the Bermuda government and so is the fee.

Edited by Charles4515

57 minutes ago, PC Skier said:

Does anyone know if you book an excursion through the cruise line does it cover the Bermuda fee and forms? 

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I have the feeling that you may think  you don't have to file a travel authorization application if you're not planning to get off the ship. That is not true. You're in Bermuda once your ship enters its territorial waters and all passengers must file the application and pay the fee even if they're not getting off the ship. As a result excursions, whether booked through the cruise line or booked independently have nothing to do with the travel authorization process or the fee that has to accompany your application.

On 3/20/2022 at 8:47 AM, njhorseman said:

The $40 fee is not refundable.  Bermuda does not want you to wait until you have your test results before submitting your application because it would be impossible for them to process all the applications for an arriving ship in the two days prior to embarkation.  Submitting the application about ten days in advance is is being suggested by at least one cruise line.

I'd like to ask a question on this and I don't want to start another thread about the same topic. We have every intention on submitting the application as early as we can so that it can get processed. However, our appointment for the proctored antigen test is at 6pm on the Saturday before our Sunday departure. We're leaving out of NYC on May 29th and Bermuda is our only port. We will not be stopping in Virginia. If the application is already submitted and all we need to do is upload the test results, and we upload as soon as we get the results from the proctored test (am assuming that will be by 6:30 pm Saturday), will that be enough time for Bermuda to finalize the last part of the application before boarding the next day? Our understanding is that we cannot board without proof of acceptance from Bermuda. TIA

32 minutes ago, Pete's Girl said:

I'd like to ask a question on this and I don't want to start another thread about the same topic. We have every intention on submitting the application as early as we can so that it can get processed. However, our appointment for the proctored antigen test is at 6pm on the Saturday before our Sunday departure. We're leaving out of NYC on May 29th and Bermuda is our only port. We will not be stopping in Virginia. If the application is already submitted and all we need to do is upload the test results, and we upload as soon as we get the results from the proctored test (am assuming that will be by 6:30 pm Saturday), will that be enough time for Bermuda to finalize the last part of the application before boarding the next day? Our understanding is that we cannot board without proof of acceptance from Bermuda. TIA

Obviously I can't guarantee anything but from what I've read if the application is otherwise complete it doesn't take very long for Bermuda to approve the application once they receive the test results. 

It goes without saying that you would have a lot more breathing room if you could get an earlier appointment on Saturday or even better if you could get tested on Friday. 

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Obviously I can't guarantee anything but from what I've read if the application is otherwise complete it doesn't take very long for Bermuda to approve the application once they receive the test results. 

It goes without saying that you would have a lot more breathing room if you could get an earlier appointment on Saturday or even better if you could get tested on Friday. 

My guess is, as soon as they see the $40. Payment and they get their money- you will be cleared, seems it is just a money maker for Bermuda to make up for lost income over the last two years... 

52 minutes ago, Cruising to Retirement said:

My guess is, as soon as they see the $40. Payment and they get their money- you will be cleared, seems it is just a money maker for Bermuda to make up for lost income over the last two years... 

My guess is you posted to troll but we know since the Travel Authorization has been in effect for a while that they won't be approved until they submit the test and it is negative.

As for whether they are making money that is a guess. Probably not as they have to hire people to approve or disapporve the application. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/26/2022 at 11:41 AM, Charles4515 said:

My guess is you posted to troll but we know since the Travel Authorization has been in effect for a while that they won't be approved until they submit the test and it is negative.

As for whether they are making money that is a guess. Probably not as they have to hire people to approve or disapporve the application. 

No, I didn't post to Troll, I am on a Cruise on 5/15 to Bermuda. Just more Bureacracy that duplicates the same procedures as current Cruise protocols. 

Does everyone have to complete the application and pay the $40 fee even if you do not plan on getting off the ship?  We are a large family contemplating booking a July cruise and this could be a deal breaker.  Cruising out of Baltimore and we stop in Bermuda on day 3 but it would be our first port.

41 minutes ago, BuckeyeMan said:

Does everyone have to complete the application and pay the $40 fee even if you do not plan on getting off the ship?  We are a large family contemplating booking a July cruise and this could be a deal breaker.  Cruising out of Baltimore and we stop in Bermuda on day 3 but it would be our first port.

There are quite a few answers to your question in this thread but I will repeat the answer. Everyone will have to complete the application fee and pay the $40 even if they don't plan to get off. 

Edited by Charles4515