PCR Testing done?

NSnewcruiser

2 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

Oh I understand. That was my concern as well.  But we had originally planned to go somewhere for the week before our cruise.  Those plans fell through so if I end up having to stay longer, it will be basically the same length of time as our original trip was booked to be.  
The possibility of an earlier negative test (if that's how it works) will be a bonus for us. 

That would be my understanding too...just need one negative antigen test.

1 hour ago, CKCruising said:

That was stated in the press conference PCR test between 11 and 180 days.

To me, the only real difference was the addition of the Antigen tests (up to 24 hours).  PCR test (up to 72 hours) is still an option.  There was some wording in the PC about where the Antigen test originates.  Not sure what it meant exactly.

I was referring to the length of time you have to remain outside of Canada if you have a positive pre-entry test. Does that remain at 11 days?

1 minute ago, ceilidh1 said:

I was referring to the length of time you have to remain outside of Canada if you have a positive pre-entry test. Does that remain at 11 days?

Yes...as long as you test positive.

If you get a negative antigen or PCR test before the 11 days, you are "allowed" to return.

Edited by CKCruising
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, CKCruising said:

From the actual announcement:

Government of Canada lightens border measures as part of transition of the pandemic response - Canada.ca

- "Fully Vaccinated" links to the old page with 2 doses.

- Travellers will now have the option of using a COVID-19 rapid antigen test result (taken the day prior to their scheduled flight or arrival at the land border or marine port of entry) or a molecular test result (taken no more than 72 hours before their scheduled flight or arrival at the land border or marine port of entry) to meet pre-entry requirements.  - Not 24 hours prior

- Taking a rapid antigen test at home is not sufficient to meet the pre-entry requirement – it must be authorized by the country in which it was purchased and must be administered by a laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth service. - This says switch tests are valid - I think he was just trying to say that you can't do a home test (although poorly). 

I hope the 'day prior' is correct and not just 24 hours - makes a big difference for some of us staying overnight post cruise!!!

I agree that it does sound like the Switch health tests are acceptable as they are proctored online and authorized by Canada and also FDA approved from what I understand! 🙂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Froufie said:

I hope the 'day prior' is correct and not just 24 hours - makes a big difference for some of us staying overnight post cruise!!!

I agree that it does sound like the Switch health tests are acceptable as they are proctored online and authorized by Canada and also FDA approved from what I understand! 🙂

I don't think so - the test has to be approved in the country you are travelling from.  Which is so stupid.  Why can't I use a test that's approved in Canada.  I guess if coming from the US the switch might be good - but not Mexico or Europe

3 minutes ago, Djsmrs said:

I don't think so - the test has to be approved in the country you are travelling from.  Which is so stupid.  Why can't I use a test that's approved in Canada.  I guess if coming from the US the switch might be good - but not Mexico or Europe

But it does state 'must be authorized by the country in which it was purchased'?  It was purchased in Canada?  Is it not authorized by Canada? It is not required for domestic travel - only international - so how does this make sense - you would only purchase it for out of the country travel right?

Most confusing and hope there is some more clarify on this?  People have been using the switch health tests to fly out (antigen) and into (PCR) Canada so don't believe this is now changed?

1 hour ago, CKCruising said:

That was stated in the press conference PCR test between 11 and 180 days.

To me, the only real difference was the addition of the Antigen tests (up to 24 hours).  PCR test (up to 72 hours) is still an option.  There was some wording in the PC about where the Antigen test originates.  Not sure what it meant exactly.

As I see it, there is not a lot of difference except that they will now accept a rapid antigen test (which is great), but if you test positive, you will still need to isolate for 11 days where ever the hell you are before you can board an aircraft to fly home.   That is the killer!!!!

2 minutes ago, macmax said:

As I see it, there is not a lot of difference except that they will now accept a rapid antigen test (which is great), but if you test positive, you will still need to isolate for 11 days where ever the hell you are before you can board an aircraft to fly home.   That is the killer!!!!

Not 24 hrs - but day before for antigen test (which is a bit different and covers a longer time period) ....cheaper and quicker for many which is helpful

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2022/02/government-of-canada-lightens-border-measures-as-part-of-transition-of-the-pandemic-response.html

As for the isolation - I was not expecting that to change - just the current 'risk' of travelling in these times unfortunately!

Edited by Froufie

8 minutes ago, macmax said:

Basically yes...The odds might be higher that you test negative on a Rapid Test before the 11 days (RTR = Rapid Test Roulette)

Note that a Rapid Positive test WILL NOT allow you back after 11 days.

Edited by CKCruising

13 minutes ago, Froufie said:

I hope the day prior doesn't mean you can't test at the Airport the day of 🙂

1 minute ago, CKCruising said:

Basically yes...The odds might be higher that you test negative on a Rapid Test before the 11 days (RTR = Rapid Test Roulette)

Interesting - that might happen - but I suppose you could then get the PCR test to confirm (as it is more accurate?) - what a big mess!

2 minutes ago, CKCruising said:

I hope the day prior doesn't mean you can't test at the Airport the day of 🙂

This is what it says right now - but sure hope it includes 'day of' - if not I guess the cruiselines might need to reinstate testing on board (ya right!)...

• Travellers will now have the option of using a COVID-19 rapid antigen test result (taken the day prior to their scheduled flight or arrival at the land border or marine port of entry) or a molecular test result (taken no more than 72 hours before their scheduled flight or arrival at the land border or marine port of entry) to meet pre-entry requirements. Taking a rapid antigen test at home is not sufficient to meet the pre-entry requirement – it must be authorized by the country in which it was purchased and must be administered by a laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth service.
Edited by Froufie

7 minutes ago, Froufie said:

But it does state 'must be authorized by the country in which it was purchased'?  It was purchased in Canada?  Is it not authorized by Canada? It is not required for domestic travel - only international - so how does this make sense - you would only purchase it for out of the country travel right?

Most confusing and hope there is some more clarify on this?  People have been using the switch health tests to fly out (antigen) and into (PCR) Canada so don't believe this is now changed?

I read it in the global report.

Here's the phrase I noticed:

As of Feb. 28, a negative rapid antigen or PCR test results will be accepted to meet entry requirements. These tests will need to be administered by a laboratory or health care entity, meaning doing a test at home won’t work.

And the link:  https://globalnews.ca/news/8619015/new-border-rules-covid/

Also listening to the news they were stressing that the test must be approved in the country you're coming from.   Now - I don't know if that's to ease the minds of travelers worrying that their test won't be accepted because it's not approved in Canada, or???

Edited by Djsmrs

Just now, Froufie said:

Not 24 hrs - but day before for antigen test....cheaper and quicker for many which is helpful

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2022/02/government-of-canada-lightens-border-measures-as-part-of-transition-of-the-pandemic-response.html

As for the isolation - I was not expecting that to change - just the current 'risk' of travelling in these times unfortunately!

Why not?  Many other countries have done away with all testing/isolation etc.

The possibility of having to spend another 11days where ever is what is really hurting the travel industry.  Many people can't take that chance.

2 minutes ago, Djsmrs said:

I read it in the global report.

Here's the phrase I noticed:

As of Feb. 28, a negative rapid antigen or PCR test results will be accepted to meet entry requirements. These tests will need to be administered by a laboratory or health care entity, meaning doing a test at home won’t work.

And the link:  https://globalnews.ca/news/8619015/new-border-rules-covid/

Also listening to the news they were stressing that the test must be approved in the country you're coming from.   Now - I don't know if that's to ease the minds of travelers worrying that their test won't be accepted because it's not approved in Canada, or???

....or telehealth service (proctored online - done at home): (government of canada website:  https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2022/02/government-of-canada-lightens-border-measures-as-part-of-transition-of-the-pandemic-response.html )

• Travellers will now have the option of using a COVID-19 rapid antigen test result (taken the day prior to their scheduled flight or arrival at the land border or marine port of entry) or a molecular test result (taken no more than 72 hours before their scheduled flight or arrival at the land border or marine port of entry) to meet pre-entry requirements. Taking a rapid antigen test at home is not sufficient to meet the pre-entry requirement – it must be authorized by the country in which it was purchased and must be administered by a laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth service.

36 minutes ago, Froufie said:

I agree that it does sound like the Switch health tests are acceptable as they are proctored online and authorized by Canada and also FDA approved from what I understand!

Edited by DHP1

3 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

According to the government website:- Travellers will now have the option of using a COVID-19 rapid antigen test result (taken the day prior to their scheduled flight or arrival at the land border or marine port of entry) or a molecular test result (taken no more than 72 hours before their scheduled flight or arrival at the land border or marine port of entry) to meet pre-entry requirements. Taking a rapid antigen test at home is not sufficient to meet the pre-entry requirement – it must be authorized by the country in which it was purchased and must be administered by a laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth service.

LOL - yes - I am the one that posted that information and link! 🙂

3 minutes ago, Froufie said:

LOL - yes - I am the one that posted that information and link! 🙂

You beat me to it. You must have sent it when I was typing it up. It strange how the Minster stated in his speech it’s 24 hours and the government website states “taken the day prior”. 

Edited by DHP1

I'm hoping there's clarification.  "The day prior" could mean if I'm flying home on Tuesday, the test has to be taken on Monday, OR it could mean if I'm flying at 6 p.m., then the test has to be taken within the 24 hrs prior to 6 p.m. Tuesday.

If it's the former, then I have to stay with the expensive PCR test.  The latter will mean a much less expensive test.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maryann2 said:

I understood it to mean that if you are taking the test in the USA it must be a USA test , not one you had pre-purchased from Canada for instance.

That's not what Minister Duclos said. He stated that the antigen test "must be authorized by the country in which it was purchased," not by the country in which it is used. So if you buy the test in Canada, you can use it in the US as long as Canada approved the test.

This not only makes sense, but it lets Canadian health authorities make the decision on what tests are approved for its citizens rather than having the US FDA make the decision. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Froufie said:

Interesting - that might happen - but I suppose you could then get the PCR test to confirm (as it is more accurate?) - what a big mess!

Exactly...nothing much has changed that will make people feel more comfortable to book a trip.

You will still need an insurance policy that covers (some) of your costs if you are forced to isolate.  Very disappointing IMO.

Edited by macmax
  • Like 1

Just now, macmax said:

Exactly...nothing much has changed that will make people feel more comfortable to book a trip.

The difference seems to be you take a rapid/PCR test vs just  PCR prior to boarding. All the travel delay risks are still in place. Very disappointing. 

15 minutes ago, Luckysll said:

I'm hoping there's clarification.  "The day prior" could mean if I'm flying home on Tuesday, the test has to be taken on Monday, OR it could mean if I'm flying at 6 p.m., then the test has to be taken within the 24 hrs prior to 6 p.m. Tuesday.

If it's the former, then I have to stay with the expensive PCR test.  The latter will mean a much less expensive test.

The Minster said "no more than 24 hours before their scheduled flight." That's very specific, as I would expect from the Minister. If your flight is scheduled for Friday at 3:00 PM, the test must be taken no earlier than 3:00 PM on Thursday.

"taken the day prior to their scheduled flight" can be interpreted in two ways and was sloppy writing on the part of the individual who wrote the PHAC press release. Once the travel.gc.ca webpages are updated, you will see the 24 hour time frame.