NEW - Canadians Can't Travel to Portugal

claudiaYVR

1 hour ago, ALD18 said:

Yes, the article nicely reflects the understandable confusion.

On Monday, I emailed both the Canadian Embassy in Lisbon and the Portuguese Embassy in Ottawa seeking clarification. The Canadian Embassy responded the following day, but I've yet to hear from The Portuguese Embassy here in Ottawa. Maybe their officials are equally confused!

We made it to Portugal. It's now after 1 am on Saturday. We arrived in Lisbon shortly after 10 pm, checked in at our hotel and went for a long walk to shake off the stress. To summarize:

1. We are Canadians and left for Lisbon having no clue whether we would be let into Portugal.

2. We flew from Victoria, BC to Munich to Lisbon (Air Canada, Lufthansa and TAP Portugal).

3. None of the airlines mentioned anything about us being banned or tried to stop us from flying.

4. All of the airlines asked to see our vaccination certificates. We produced paper copies and that was just fine.

5. We arrived in Lisbon, collected our luggage and walked out of the airport (had to show our vaccination certificates on the way out).

Unbelievably smooth given what we've gone through since we learned of the ban on Canadians on February 10. Now, this was today, who knows what will happen in the days to come.

My takeaway is that Portugal announced the new policy without considering how it would be implemented. The message from the embassies/consulates was that it was up to the passengers to prove to the airlines that they were traveling for essential purposes but didn't bother telling the airlines. They also have no system to stop travelers who arrive in Portugal on non-direct flights (we went through customs in Germany and when they asked us why we were going to Portugal we said we were going on a cruise). I hope this helps.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, claudiaYVR said:

We arrived in Lisbon shortly after 10 pm, checked in at our hotel and went for a long walk to shake off the stress.

If you're hungry and near Av. da Liberdade and  Praca dos Restauradores,  the Fabrica da Nata has excellent pastéis de nata and coffee. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, claudiaYVR said:

We made it to Portugal. It's now after 1 am on Saturday. We arrived in Lisbon shortly after 10 pm, checked in at our hotel and went for a long walk to shake off the stress. To summarize:

1. We are Canadians and left for Lisbon having no clue whether we would be let into Portugal.

2. We flew from Victoria, BC to Munich to Lisbon (Air Canada, Lufthansa and TAP Portugal).

3. None of the airlines mentioned anything about us being banned or tried to stop us from flying.

4. All of the airlines asked to see our vaccination certificates. We produced paper copies and that was just fine.

5. We arrived in Lisbon, collected our luggage and walked out of the airport (had to show our vaccination certificates on the way out).

Unbelievably smooth given what we've gone through since we learned of the ban on Canadians on February 10. Now, this was today, who knows what will happen in the days to come.

My takeaway is that Portugal announced the new policy without considering how it would be implemented. The message from the embassies/consulates was that it was up to the passengers to prove to the airlines that they were traveling for essential purposes but didn't bother telling the airlines. They also have no system to stop travelers who arrive in Portugal on non-direct flights (we went through customs in Germany and when they asked us why we were going to Portugal we said we were going on a cruise). I hope this helps.

Great to hear you made it Claudia.  Enjoy your cruise.  Thank you for letting us know.  Take care,  Paul

Hi,

No worries the Visit Portugal site now shows it.

The link:https://www.visitportugal.com/en/content/covid-19-measures-implemented-portugal

Excerpt:

ALLOWED (Essential and non-essential travel)
Countries of the European Union or of a State associated with the Schengen Area (Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland and Switzerland);
Brazil, Canada, USA and UK;
Countries with flights authorized for non-essential travel subject to reciprocal confirmation: Bahrain, Chile, Colombia, Indonesia, Kuwait, New Zealand, Peru, People's Republic of China, Qatar, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, United Arab Emirates, and Uruguay, as well as Taiwan and the administrative regions of Hong Kong and Macau.

Flights from countries not mentioned are allowed exclusively for “essential travel”, i.e. to allow the entry into Portugal of citizens travelling for professional, study and family reunion purposes, and for health or humanitarian reasons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Wow, swimmerboy, funky stuff going on with link.  Your input shows Canada, but clicking on the link does not show Canada......every time?  You click on link multiple times and sometimes Canada is in there, sometimes its not.  A mystery..........or just me?

17 minutes ago, ALD18 said:

Wow, swimmerboy, funky stuff going on with link.  Your input shows Canada, but clicking on the link does not show Canada......every time?  You click on link multiple times and sometimes Canada is in there, sometimes its not.  A mystery..........or just me?

Must be you 😂🍻

C2F3FD6A-D891-4E15-8691-95A28D77144D.jpeg

I dunno, just clicked on the link 6 times.  Canada showed 2 times, 4 it did not.  Maybe something with the way cookies and history are being handled.  Open in a new tab and Canada shows every time.  Regardless, looks like we can get off the ship!!!!!

• Like 1

On 2/19/2022 at 7:37 AM, swimmerboy said:

Hi Canadians,

The link to the Portuguese govt site order of yesterday:

https://dre.pt/dre/detalhe/despacho/2181-b-2022-179423775

I dont know how to read Portuguese but it appears that Canada has joined Brazil, the US and UK.

Would someone who reads Portuguese confirm.

Thanks

For what it is wort, Clause 1 says the following are permitted entry for essential and non-essential reasons.....  Then lists a number of countries including the European Union and countries who vaccine certifications are accepted the European Union.  The last entry (e) on the list lists additional countries that are treated the same way that includes the US, UK, Brazil and Canada.

Basically Canada is now permitted entry for non-essential reasons.