NEW - Canadians Can't Travel to Portugal

claudiaYVR

In the context of the cruise lines, I wonder if the ships will still dock in the Azores, or any other Portuguese ports, but just not let Canadians off?  Might they ban future Canadian passenger bookings and cancel Canadians already on the cruises that are to stop in any Portuguese ports? That may be another logistical hurdle for them to handle sorting who can and cannot get off..........

52 minutes ago, ALD18 said:

In the context of the cruise lines, I wonder if the ships will still dock in the Azores, or any other Portuguese ports, but just not let Canadians off?  Might they ban future Canadian passenger bookings and cancel Canadians already on the cruises that are to stop in any Portuguese ports? That may be another logistical hurdle for them to handle sorting who can and cannot get off..........

Sounds like the more recent wording is Canadians arriving from Canada. 

That would only apply to the Air Canada, TAP and Air Transat flights from Canada.   A good percentage of people on those routes are people visiting family which is permitted.

In the 1050s when my dad emigrated from Portugal to Canada he sailed from Lisbon to Halifax.  Those routes don't exist anymore.

Just as a followup to my earlier post...my sister and her husband contacted the Consulate again today and were emailing back and forth with another official who, again, had the same message the first person offered days ago:  it doesn't matter where a Canadian traveler arrives from (Canada or any other country), as they are not allowed, as Canadian citizens, into Portugal at this time, unless their trip is considered essential. The second official they spoke to said the Portuguese president is meeting this week to discuss easing measures for travel to Portugal, but there are no guarantees anything will change after February 28.

To be honest I don't think they know what they're doing. Let's hope they get their act together soon, there really seems to be no rhyme or reason for this, the only tie-in I can find is to the EU Council who happened to remove the same three countries (Canada, Australia and Argentina) from the list of countries subject to easing of restrictions (this had to do with vaccination status, Covid testing, etc., NOT with banning people from entry altogether) about a month ago.

The Visit Portugal website is very clear, specifying restrictions based on where flights originate as opposed to the nationality of the traveller:

I – ACCESSIBILITY 

1) Arriving to Portugal by Plane

MAINLAND Portugal

ALLOWED (Essential and non-essential travel)
Countries of the European Union or of a State associated with the Schengen Area (Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland and Switzerland);
Brazil, USA and UK;
Countries with flights authorized for non-essential travel subject to reciprocal confirmation: Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Chile, Colombia, Jordan, South Korea, UAE, Kuwait, New Zealand, Peru, Qatar, Republic Popular in China, Rwanda, Uruguay, as well as the administrative regions of Hong Kong and Macau and Taiwan.

Flights from countries not mentioned are allowed exclusively for “essential travel”, i.e. to allow the entry into Portugal of citizens travelling for professional, study and family reunion purposes, and for health or humanitarian reasons. 

I suppose that it is possible, albeit very unlikely, that whoever wrote the policy intended to place the restrictions on citizens from as opposed to flights from certain countries, including Canada. Or maybe the consular officials simply confused the intentions of the policy. In any event, given the apparent contradiction, I've written to both the Canadian Embassy in Lisbon and the Portuguese Embassy in Ottawa seeking clarification and will post their responses upon receipt.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

On 2/12/2022 at 1:58 PM, *Miss G* said:

I have 3 stops in Portugal next month: Azores, Madeira, Lisbon.  Sherpa says we are allowed if we are “arriving from” United States.  This is markedly different than if-you’re-Canadian-you-can’t-come.  Reminds me of the mess at the beginning of the pandemic.  To complicate things even further, I am a British-Canadian with US Permanent Resident status.  Can I enter because I live in the United States?  Can I enter because I am British?    Will I be barred because I’m Canadian?

Would love to know what Canada did to tick Portugal off.  In any event, I am not going to sweat it until the next announcement.  Hopefully Canada will rectify whatever mess they made and we will be friends again.

A1F8FAC9-EA2F-4E21-A242-3331B88CEED2.thumb.png.e769edb8fbd2b8f6b5d341b6554d2971.png

On 2/12/2022 at 3:49 PM, Fouremco said:

From what I've seen, both in what you have quoted and from the Air Canada requirements page, it isn't the nationality of the passenger or the country issuing your passport that determines whether or not you are able to enter, but instead it's the country from which your flight originates.

Travellers arriving from  Canada (see 173 additional countries) are not allowed to enter mainland Portugal. Please note, direct travel to Madeira and Porto Santo is allowed. The land borders between Portugal and Spain are open. Please check the source for exemptions, documentation, quarantine, and/or testing requirements before travelling.

So, as things stand today, you can't fly there from Canada but you can do so from the US.

On 2/12/2022 at 5:10 PM, ALD18 said:

Wondering if it affects entry into the Azores?  Is it not a separate country now, not directly part of Portugal?    

On 2/12/2022 at 7:10 PM, Fouremco said:

Both the Azores and Madeira are autonomous regions of Portugal, not independent countries. Their entry requirements are not the same as those, but I've not made a side-by-side comparison. 

It seems that the restriction against non-essential travel by Canadians is to mainland Portugal and not the autonomous regions of the Azores or Madeira, so travel to the latter should be fine. 

Hopefully the confirmation that Fouremco is obtaining from the embassies will address all of these regions as they seem to have different rules.

3 hours ago, claudiaYVR said:

To be honest I don't think they know what they're doing. Let's hope they get their act together soon, there really seems to be no rhyme or reason for this, the only tie-in I can find is to the EU Council who happened to remove the same three countries (Canada, Australia and Argentina) from the list of countries subject to easing of restrictions (this had to do with vaccination status, Covid testing, etc., NOT with banning people from entry altogether) about a month ago.

I presume you are booked on a flight from Canada?  If so, did your airline cancel the flight?  If they didn't, you might want to call them and get their take on this.

I hope that you are able to find a solution....

4 hours ago, Fouremco said:

The Visit Portugal website is very clear, specifying restrictions based on where flights originate as opposed to the nationality of the traveller:

I – ACCESSIBILITY 

MAINLAND Portugal

Countries of the European Union or of a State associated with the Schengen Area (Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland and Switzerland);
Brazil, USA and UK;
Countries with flights authorized for non-essential travel subject to reciprocal confirmation: Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Chile, Colombia, Jordan, South Korea, UAE, Kuwait, New Zealand, Peru, Qatar, Republic Popular in China, Rwanda, Uruguay, as well as the administrative regions of Hong Kong and Macau and Taiwan.

Flights from countries not mentioned are allowed exclusively for “essential travel”, i.e. to allow the entry into Portugal of citizens travelling for professional, study and family reunion purposes, and for health or humanitarian reasons. 

I suppose that it is possible, albeit very unlikely, that whoever wrote the policy intended to place the restrictions on citizens from as opposed to flights from certain countries, including Canada. Or maybe the consular officials simply confused the intentions of the policy. In any event, given the apparent contradiction, I've written to both the Canadian Embassy in Lisbon and the Portuguese Embassy in Ottawa seeking clarification and will post their responses upon receipt.

Perhaps it's a translation issue?

10 minutes ago, broberts said:

I think it is much more than a translation issue. My guess is that this was an extremely poorly executed change in policy (perhaps even in error to some extent).

This afternoon I spoke to Air Canada by phone who knew absolutely nothing about this. So I went to the Victoria airport and spoke in person to an agent (and her supervisor) who after checking and re-checking and calling the Covid-specific line, confirmed that there is nothing in their system that would prevent me from boarding my flight to Lisbon on Thursday.

I still worry about something changing between now and then but there is nothing else I can do but show up at the airport on Thursday.

Seabourn confirmed this afternoon that their port agent in Lisbon said as long as we don't arrive on a direct flight from Canada we're good.

Go figure. For now I'm in the hands of DOG.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, broberts said:

That thought had crossed my mind too, but the Visit Portugal website is available in 10 languages. Those that I checked, starting with the French version and including the original Portuguese, all say the same thing. While I don't read or speak Portuguese, it's easy enough to compare it to the English version and see that they say the same thing.

I – ACESSIBILIDADE

1) Chegar a Portugal por avião

PORTUGAL CONTINENTAL

PERMITIDO
- Países da União Europeia ou de um estado associado ao Espaço Schengen (Liechtenstein, Noruega, Islândia e Suíça);
- Brasil, EUA e Reino Unido;
- Países com voos autorizados para viagens não essenciais sob reserva de confirmação de reciprocidade: Arábia Saudita, Barém, Chile, Colômbia, Coreia do Sul, Emirados Árabes Unidos, Indonésia, Koweit, Nova Zelândia, Peru, Qatar, República Popular da China, Ruanda e Uruguai, assim como as regiões administrativas de Hong Kong e Macau e ainda Taiwan,

No caso de países não referidos são apenas permitidas “viagens essenciais”, ou seja, as que permitam o trânsito e a entrada em Portugal por motivos profissionais, de estudo, de reunião familiar e por razões de saúde ou por razões humanitárias.

Tonight on air Canada website they show link to travel hub. Put in departure. I used YYZ  & to LIS Feb 17/22 

message at top says Most travellers from Canada are not able to visit Portugal yet. 

then it gives more info on entry 

50 minutes ago, dog said:

Tonight on air Canada website they show link to travel hub. Put in departure. I used YYZ  & to LIS Feb 17/22 

message at top says Most travellers from Canada are not able to visit Portugal yet. 

then it gives more info on entry 

I know, I have done that a few times in the past couple of days. I told Air Canada but they said that’s not what they use for clearing passengers! It’s all very strange. 

7 hours ago, claudiaYVR said:

I know, I have done that a few times in the past couple of days. I told Air Canada but they said that’s not what they use for clearing passengers! It’s all very strange. 

On this side I can see that but when you arrive in Portugal will you be detained?  
Do you have cancel for any reason insurance? I bought it this time from Princess if this type of thing happens for my March 28 cruise to Spain canaries & Portugal. Well incase we test positive too 

I hope it works out for you. Phone reps often give out wrong information 

Edited by dog

@dogI don't see how we could get detained, at worst turned back or simply not allowed to enter Portugal. So plan B is to take the first flight out to Spain and that's where we'll spend the time we would have otherwise been on the cruise. 

Seabourn has a policy in place whereby if not allowed to get on board because of changing government regulations, etc. they will issue me 100% in FCC. I'm fine with that. The person at Seabourn who confirmed this was not a rep but someone higher up put in charge of figuring out this issue.

I did purchase insurance but it is not CFAR, it is Covid-specific. Thanks for the good wishes.

My response from the Canadian embassy in Lisbon. Several links and suggestions, but no reply to the question of whether it is Canadians or flight from Canada that are restricted. Still awaiting a reply from the Portuguese embassy in Ottawa.

Good day,

The conditions to enter Portugal have been changing according to the evolution of the pandemic. You should verify this information and all the information related to the circulation of foreigners in Portugal, including the type of documents accepted as proof of vaccination, with the appropriate foreign diplomatic office, i.e., the Portuguese Consulate:

https://www.portaldascomunidades.mne.pt/pt/rede-consular. We encourage you to check this information with your airline company too.

Before travelling we invite you to:

• Contact the nearest foreign diplomatic office for information on destination-specific restrictions

·       Consult the travel restrictions and health requirements on the International Air Transport Association (IATA) website

COVID-19 - Entry, exit and transit restrictions and requirements

Most governments have implemented special entry and exit restrictions and requirements for their territory due to COVID-19.

The EU Digital COVID Certificate is only available to EU citizens and residents.

Certain European Union countries might not recognize or accept proof of vaccination issued by Canadian provinces and territories for entry or to be exempt from quarantine requirements. You may need to obtain a translation, a notarization, an authentication, or the legalization of the document.

Before travelling, verify if the local authorities of both your current location and destinations have implemented any restrictions or requirements related to this situation.

Restrictions imposed could include:

•            entry bans, particularly for non-residents

•            exit bans

•            quarantines of 14 days or more upon arrival, some in designated facilities, at your own cost

•            health screenings and certificates as well as proof of adequate travel health insurance

•            border closures

•            airport closures

•            flight suspensions to/from certain destinations, and in some cases, all destinations

•            suspensions or reductions of other international transportation options

Additional restrictions can be imposed suddenly. Airlines can also suspend or reduce flights without notice. Your travel plans may be severely disrupted, making it difficult for you to return home. Consider even your transit points, as transit rules are in place in many destinations.

•            Monitor the media for the latest information

•            Contact your airline or tour operator to determine if the situation will disrupt your travel plans

•            Contact the nearest foreign diplomatic office for information on destination-specific restrictions

You should not depend on the Government of Canada for assistance to change your travel plans.

Useful links

•            Entry requirements to European Union countries - Re-open EU

•            Travel restrictions and health requirements - United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) and International Air Transport Association (IATA)

•            Foreign Representatives in Canada

Sincerely,

Consular Services / Services Consulaires

lsbon.consular@international.gc.ca

Embassy of Canada / Ambassade du Canada

Avenida da Liberdade, 196-3º

1269-121 Lisboa, Portugal

Tel. +351 213164600

Fax. +351 213164693

www.portugal.gc.ca

On 2/14/2022 at 3:50 PM, Fouremco said:

I – ACCESSIBILITY 

MAINLAND Portugal

Brazil, USA and UK;

I suppose that todays announcement of the removal of the “non-essential” travel ban that this may be resolved. Along with easing restrictions on testing. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Fouremco said:

That thought had crossed my mind too, but the Visit Portugal website is available in 10 languages. Those that I checked, starting with the French version and including the original Portuguese, all say the same thing. While I don't read or speak Portuguese, it's easy enough to compare it to the English version and see that they say the same thing.

I – ACESSIBILIDADE

1) Chegar a Portugal por avião

PORTUGAL CONTINENTAL

PERMITIDO
- Países da União Europeia ou de um estado associado ao Espaço Schengen (Liechtenstein, Noruega, Islândia e Suíça);
- Brasil, EUA e Reino Unido;
- Países com voos autorizados para viagens não essenciais sob reserva de confirmação de reciprocidade: Arábia Saudita, Barém, Chile, Colômbia, Coreia do Sul, Emirados Árabes Unidos, Indonésia, Koweit, Nova Zelândia, Peru, Qatar, República Popular da China, Ruanda e Uruguai, assim como as regiões administrativas de Hong Kong e Macau e ainda Taiwan,

No caso de países não referidos são apenas permitidas “viagens essenciais”, ou seja, as que permitam o trânsito e a entrada em Portugal por motivos profissionais, de estudo, de reunião familiar e por razões de saúde ou por razões humanitárias.

The Portuguese is a fairly direct translation into the English. 

The one point of ambiguity is it is (transit)  or ( entry ......  . Or if the restrictions apply also to transit. 

Someone catching a cruise ship within a day or two of arrival is transiting the country.  They happen to be changing modes of travel.  

Canada for example through the entire COVID travel restrictions generally has not stopped people from transiting Canada when their stay was as short as possible to facilitate the transit.  That has applied to Americans from Seattle using YVR.  It has applied to French nationals transit Canada by Air and Ship to reach the two collonies off NFLD.

If Air Canada does not have an issue, I would use that line of argument on arrival in Lisbon.  You are there only temporally and will transit to cruise ship that will be departing very quickly.  Under those conditions it is very unlikely they would force anyone to leave the country imediately.

• Like 2

On 2/14/2022 at 12:12 PM, claudiaYVR said:

Hi Claudia, I think your assessment in the quoted post was accurate.  I've attached a link to the first media account I could find related to this issue.  I'm not familiar with The Portugal News so I can't attest to the accuracy of the reporting.  I believe you may be in transit and I hope everything works out for you.  Take care, Paul

Canada fails to make the list - The Portugal News 

4 minutes ago, lots-of-km2 said:

What about fully vaccinated Canadians flying into Portugal directly from another Schengen country?  Are we currently barred from doing that, or is the exclusion simply for flights from Canada? 

See Post #28 above for my response after corresponding with the consulate.

• Thanks 1