The NCL Haven Luxury VIP Experience "Secrets" REVISED for 2022

Sthrngary

11 hours ago, LiMurr said:

With three of us traveling with multiple devices each, I just bring a power strip with me so I don’t have to worry about it.

Just make sure the power strip isn't protected by a surge suppressor.  They will likely confiscate it from you as the surge suppressor is not compatible with the ship's electrical system and can create a fire hazard.

One like this shouldn't be a problem:  

Amazon.com: Desktop Power Strip with 3 Outlet 4 USB Ports 4.5A, Flat Plug and 5 ft Long Braided Extension Cords for Cruise Ship Travel Home Office, ETL Listed : Electronics

• Like 2

8 hours ago, omahabob said:

Correction: The CitiZ model only takes 1.35oz and 3.7oz pods. Apparently they no longer sell the models that took the .85oz pods. That still works for me, since I was planning on using 1.35oz.

I think I've figured out the confusion here. All original line pods (as opposed to the vertuoline, which are the newer model that NCL doesn't have) are the exact same size... the contents inside the different ones are just formulated for different varieties/strengths. There are two buttons in the machine to select the different size shots (espresso or lungo), but those buttons can be used with any pod variety and you can program it to use more water for a larger size... as I mentioned before, the lungo button brews longer and I think it tastes burnt. 

I just don't want you to order pods for your cruise expecting different sizes and be disappointed when they're all one size. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NikkiPoooo27 said:

My former roommate said you can program the size of the shots by long pressing the buttons, but I'm not 100% sure how that works. 

To program the length of time on the nespresso machines, when you start your shot, do not let go of the button.  Hold it down until the desired amount of water is put out.   

For Americano's I would just ask for a thermos of hot water and pull a shot of espresso and add hot water.  I wouldn't pull a extra long shot through the capsule.  This is going to overextract the coffee and lead to the bitterness or burnt taste.  Nespresso does a decent job at producing espresso by the amt of coffee and water each capsule is made for.  

Edited by Trivan
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

That's the one I have, only mine has 2 USB-C in place of one or two of the regular USB ports. I love that it has the longer cord.

Since we're on the topic of the Nespresso machine. How is the coffee that it produces? I have a Vertuo version of the Nespresso at home and it produces pretty good coffee for me.

Is it decent enough or should I just go to the Haven restaurant every morning and get the French pressed one.

Also how well kept is the machine? I hear horror stories about the coffee machines in hotels, cruises, etc.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Trivan said:

For Americano's I would just ask for a thermos of hot water and pull a shot of espresso and add hot water.  I wouldn't pull a extra long shot through the capsule

She said she does hers with a blank water shot first, without a pod. I just hit the button and add my milk and call it good. I think I maybe got caught up and was focusing too much on how to make this espresso machine work for people who don't like espresso though, instead of maybe helping them find out how to get some good coffee instead... 😳

For instance, this discussion has totally neglected the very nice machine that's in the lounge (as long as your ship has a lounge) as well... that will give you a nice full cup of coffee of all sorts at any time of day, and there are all of the necessary supplies set out for you to use. There's often one (just one) somewhere else on the ship as well, you just have to find it (often in the buffet near the back or outdoor part) and it can have a line in the morning. Then there's the obvious (especially for this thread)... if you just want a fresh pot of regular coffee in the morning, or afternoon or 3 times day the butler will bring that for you

• Like 1

1 minute ago, knscruiser322 said:

Since we're on the topic of the Nespresso machine. How is the coffee that it produces? I have a Vertuo version of the Nespresso at home and it produces pretty good coffee for me.

Is it decent enough or should I just go to the Haven restaurant every morning and get the French pressed one.

Also how well kept is the machine? I hear horror stories about the coffee machines in hotels, cruises, etc.

The Nespresso I've used has always been well maintained and clean. The butler ensures the water is refilled and capsules are provided. I like the quick shot of espresso, but also enjoy the French Press. If you really want, you can ask the butler to provide French Press to your room in the morning, along with pastries. We tried this and found it to be overkill. But, many people love a quick bite and French Press on their balcony. I absolutely enjoy the Nespresso on my balcony! 

Here's the setup, after additional capsules were provided since I was going through a lot of espresso!

image.thumb.jpeg.e80b54ff7ffdb4b9a0472d9e11090b8e.jpeg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, knscruiser322 said:

It's one of the small models... it only does espresso/lungo shots, but it does them reasonably well. You'll get a small amount of crema with just one button to push.

It only holds a very small amount of water, and from my experience with mine at home they just don't even get a ton of buildup inside (not like a keurig-type machine), especially when using filtered water. I got used to relatively easy and quick  descaling with the Nespresso machine, and now that I'm using the combo machine from Instant I'm a little horrified by the amount of crap that comes out when I descale!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, knscruiser322 said:

I'm a bit of a coffee snob, our house has a very high end (La Marzocco) espresso machine but the wife likes the simplicity of the Nespresso, even that we have the original and she moved on to the Vertuo. The original makes espresso and long espressos, the Vertuo both espresso, and "drip" style based upon the pod you select.
The Original is for espresso (regular or Lungo) and a default lungo is only going to be about 1/2 cup.

So "is it decent enough" is a hard question to answer.  

To bring this back to the intent of the tread and not derail it to coffee, I guess staying in the Haven (I'm doing my first trip in Aug) affords us the ability to have it all.  Want a more American style coffee, get a french press or order drip, want a espresso based drink? Order a Cap, Latte or go to the fancy machine mention above 🙂 

• Like 1

I am jumping in with some comments about something other than coffee and shows both of which we like . We have done 2 NCL cruises , the last one on the spirt from HNL to tahiti last oct the previous on the last Cuba trip on the sun . Both times in a suite up front . Those cabins are  large and right under the bridge and it was fun to wave up to the guys on occasion . No Haven so no clue what we missed but with only 22 suites we had a concierge and butler . Breakfast and lunch in Cagneys with never more than 10 -15 peeps ever there. Private area for the shows great seating whatever restaurant we ate in,. We are Seabourne cruisers with 7 trips on them but as far as food goes NCL is their equal in he smaller venues . The Spirt was limited capacity so never  felt crowded. I guess that’s what the haven offers . My plug is simply don`t  overlook the Spirt  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Trivan said:

To program the length of time on the nespresso machines, when you start your shot, do not let go of the button.  Hold it down until the desired amount of water is put out....

You can also make that the default size.

1. Turn on the machine and wait for it to heat up.
  2. Press and hold the button for the cup size you want to program (either Espresso or Lungo).
  3. Release the button when you reach your desired volume.
  4. Press and hold the same button again until the machine beeps. This beep indicates that the new volume is saved.
  5. Repeat this process for the other cup size if desired.
  6. Press any button to exit programming mode.

https://coffeesperto.com/nespresso-cup-size-programming/

Although, the manual states what NikkiPooooo27 said:

https://www.nespresso.com/shared_res/manuals/citiz/2016/www_CitiZ_C112_Z1_NESPRESSO(EN_FR_ES_BR).pdf

Edited by omahabob
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, LiMurr said:

I’m on a July 1 sailing that had a substantial price decrease recently.  Many people called and were told they would get a FCC for half of the difference.  Others (like myself) took advantage of the decrease to score a Haven upgrade.

@LiMurrMay I ask how you did this?  

1 hour ago, Kauaijim said:

Breakfast and lunch in Cagneys with never more than 10 -15 peeps ever there.

Did they still have the smoked salmon in Cagneys for lunch? That was my favorite on the Jewel class ships (where they have a Haven with a courtyard and teeny tiny sundeck, but no Haven restaurant or lounge).

On 6/15/2023 at 1:03 PM, RocketMan275 said:

I don't consider advance tipping a bribe, I just refer to it as prepaid gratuities.

I agree.  It’s all in how you present it.  Here’s what I put in our butler letter:

Enclosed is our initial gratuity to acknowledge that we understand that the butlers and concierges in the Haven are not part of the ship-wide gratuity program, and to let you know that we will appreciate everything you do to make this a dream vacation for our family.  Thank you for all you do!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/18/2023 at 6:31 PM, mconthehighseas said:

Thank you so much! We just went shopping, and got khaki shorts that are comfortable!

My stress level went down significantly

Mom struggle is real. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/19/2023 at 4:07 PM, NikkiPoooo27 said:

LOL, I'm used to music cruises where the only MDR dress code is "no swimwear and you must wear shoes" and even that last isn't enforced all that much... I waltzed into the MDR on our 80s Glam Rock Prom Night carrying my shoes in my bag just in case they enforced it, but they did not. They might have been distracted by the fact that I was drinking directly from a bottle of Moet, though (it was part of my theme night ensemble, don't judge!)... that was The Rock Boat's first year on NCL and it was a bit of a culture shock for the crew, though they really grew to love us over the years, and we now have much of the same crew who request to work the music cruises year after year. 

What is a music cruise and where do I find them?  Sounds like fun!

9 hours ago, Morgsmom said:

@LiMurrMay I ask how you did this?  

I researched what was still available, and called NCL and asked to rebook.  My sailing is basically sold out now (only internals left), so this is no longer an option.

So here I am at the end of the most amazing conversation I’ve ever participated in on Cruise Critic.  I’ve learned so much from all of you, especially @Sthrngary and @CDR Benson.  Thank you for all of the wisdom you’ve shared!  In 8 days I’ll be embarking on what I know will be the vacation of a lifetime, thanks to all of you!

Am I the only one that would love to meet up with these two gentleman over a smoking drink in the Haven Lounge?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, LiMurr said:

So here I am at the end of the most amazing conversation I’ve ever participated in on Cruise Critic.  I’ve learned so much from all of you, especially @Sthrngary and @CDR Benson.  Thank you for all of the wisdom you’ve shared!  In 8 days I’ll be embarking on what I know will be the vacation of a lifetime, thanks to all of you!

Am I the only one that would love to meet up with these two gentleman over a smoking drink in the Haven Lounge?

Please keep us updated on your cruise experience on the NCL Joy in Haven. Mine is coming up as well in the Haven on the Joy. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, LiMurr said:

I take your words very kindly.  Thank you.

And, aye, please report back on your cruise.  We don't sail on Joy again until next year, but I'm always interested in other cruise reports about her.

Hoping you have an idyllic voyage!

Edited by CDR Benson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1