The NCL Haven Luxury VIP Experience "Secrets" REVISED for 2022

Sthrngary

11 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Most, if not all, cruise lines that have dress codes make exceptions for first/last nights.  Many don't receive their luggage in time to dress for dinner on the first night.  Many have packed prior to dinner time on the last night.  

I've seen many dressed as  you describe in the Haven restaurant on all nights of the cruise.

Probably the only place that might be hit or miss on the dress code I'm guessing is Ocean Blue and Le Bistro.

I have a reservation at Cagney's on the second day and Le Bistro on the third. Reading some posts, Cagney's seems to be more lax on the dress code where as Le Bistro and Ocean Blue are hit or miss.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, knscruiser322 said:

Probably the only place that might be hit or miss on the dress code I'm guessing is Ocean Blue and Le Bistro.

I have a reservation at Cagney's on the second day and Le Bistro on the third. Reading some posts, Cagney's seems to be more lax on the dress code where as Le Bistro and Ocean Blue are hit or miss.

It's been reported that one of the MDR's may require long pants, Manhattan?

I really wouldn't know as I've never dined at the MDRs.  

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 1

I guess it doesn't hurt to grab a pair of nice khaki's and throw it in. Just in case.

My reservation's for dinner are at 5:30PM at both places, not sure if that makes any difference as I read that it is normally after 6PM where its more enforced in some specialty restaurants?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Molokai-Chuck said:

I was on the Breakaway in the Haven in March and ate in the Haven Dining room for 5 dinners, and several lunches ... wearing shorts each time .... no issues at all. Even asked the first and second visits just to make sure.

I will say Shorts, Tee shirt or Polo short is fine for the Haven restaurnant , but Went to have breakfast before a port day so was in board shorts and a tank top, was turned away. not a big deal but now i know. 

• Like 1

If I'm cruising the Caribbean, I'm wearing shorts, period, even in the Haven. It's ridiculous to require otherwise as far as I'm concerned. Now, if I cruise the North Atlantic or Alaska in wintertime, that may be a different story. But I'll never do that (hate the cold). Requiring non-tropical clothing on a tropical cruise for a mainstream crowd is nonsensical. But, I do wear rayon Hawaiian shirts instead of t-shirts. More comfortable, and probably a bit more acceptable to anyone with their nose in the sky.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

It's been reported that one of the MDR's may require long pants, Manhattan?

I've never eaten in that one... we've always eaten in Taste or Savor if we went to MDR on one of the bigger ships, and come to think of it I think we only ever ate there once. I think we decided if we had to make reservations anyway then we might as well go specialty.

52 minutes ago, omahabob said:

If I'm cruising the Caribbean, I'm wearing shorts, period, even in the Haven. It's ridiculous to require otherwise as far as I'm concerned.

LOL, I'm used to music cruises where the only MDR dress code is "no swimwear and you must wear shoes" and even that last isn't enforced all that much... I waltzed into the MDR on our 80s Glam Rock Prom Night carrying my shoes in my bag just in case they enforced it, but they did not. They might have been distracted by the fact that I was drinking directly from a bottle of Moet, though (it was part of my theme night ensemble, don't judge!)... that was The Rock Boat's first year on NCL and it was a bit of a culture shock for the crew, though they really grew to love us over the years, and we now have much of the same crew who request to work the music cruises year after year. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, omahabob said:

If I'm cruising the Caribbean, I'm wearing shorts, period, even in the Haven. It's ridiculous to require otherwise as far as I'm concerned. Now, if I cruise the North Atlantic or Alaska in wintertime, that may be a different story. But I'll never do that (hate the cold). Requiring non-tropical clothing on a tropical cruise for a mainstream crowd is nonsensical. But, I do wear rayon Hawaiian shirts instead of t-shirts. More comfortable, and probably a bit more acceptable to anyone with their nose in the sky.

@omahabobWelcome to the NCL board and this topic stream.  I am the author of this topic on the Haven.  My whole focus is "Realistic Expectations".  It is my opinion that at any meal, nice shorts that are NOT BATHING suits and a nice tea-shirt, collared shirt or Tommy Bahama type shirt is all the Haven Restaurant will require. I have been on many NCL ships.  They will turn you away if you have bathing suits or for ladies bathing suit tops on.  This means if you are on the sundeck or Haven pool, you have to change before you go to the Haven Restaurant.  

The real issue and the reason so much is talked about on this stream is on rare occations, some folks complain about being turned away.  On a recent sailing, I say a guest being turned a way and they were making a scene.  The had a cover up long shirt over a wet bathing suit.  That is a No/No, obviously.  They posted there situation and was NOT accurate on what they were wearing.  I was there. Common business sense makes all things work out.

Now will other Have Guest potentially complain, YES.  They have no right to do so.  But many of them remember the "Old Days".  I can say that because I am OLD.  Times, they are a changing.  So, relax, be flexibly, be realistic and enjoy the vibe of the Haven. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 2

When we were on the Breakaway for NY winter break there were 1800 kids on board including numerous families in the Haven. The kids totally took over the pool and hot tubs on the main floor where the restaurant was and even went up to the covered lounges up a level that encircled the pool but non went out to the outside sundeck. It was generally agreed to leave some peace and quiet for the adults. There is a smoking area up there. If an adult complained about the noise he was directed upstairs ( there was sporadic bar and lunch service). If a parent tried to bring a kid up to the sundeck he/she would have gotten the stink eye and complaints.

35 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

The real issue and the reason so much is talked about on this stream is on rare occations, some folks complain about being turned away.  On a recent sailing, I say a guest being turned a way and they were making a scene.  The had a cover up long shirt over a wet bathing suit.  That is a No/No, obviously.  They posted there situation and was NOT accurate on what they were wearing.  I was there. Common business sense makes all things work out.

Now will other Have Guest potentially complain, YES.  They have no right to do so.  

I will disagree with you on this point.  It seems as though some passengers want to be exempted from the standards, whether it is the age of a person allowed be on the sun deck or what kind of shorts, footwear and shirt they can wear in the Haven restaurant.  Although crew may permit deviations, I don't want to eat a meal next to somebody wearing their gym clothes or swim clothes.  I am paying a lot of money for an elegant experience, and please don't tell me to go to Cunard, I'm spending enough for a nice experience.  There are plenty of other cruise lines that don't care how you dress or how old you are.  I thought the Haven was different.  The other cruise lines will welcome your dollars just as much.  I can go to a cheap resort to see the same thing.

• Like 6

Just booked the Epic Mediterranean 11 day cruise in Oct.  Great deals....was able to score a Haven Spa Suite.

I have not sailed the Epic for a decade.  I understand the Haven has just been redone.  Anyone have pics of the "new" Haven on the Epic?

TIA!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I don't want to eat a meal next to somebody wearing their gym clothes or swim clothes.

@Daniel A We are on the same page on Gym Clothes and Swim Clothes.  I thought I was clear on that.  Nice Shorts and a nice shirt was the issue.  Let us also be clear, I personally NEVER wear shorts or tea shirts to eat in the Haven Restaurant.  My comments was what I have observed.  Sorry you thought differently or thought I was in agreement with Bathing suits.  Not in my life time. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@Daniel A We are on the same page on Gym Clothes and Swim Clothes.  I thought I was clear on that.  Nice Shorts and a nice shirt was the issue.  Let us also be clear, I personally NEVER wear shorts or tea shirts to eat in the Haven Restaurant.  My comments was what I have observed.  Sorry you thought differently or thought I was in agreement with Bathing suits.  Not in my life time. 

Thank you for your concern, but my post was more about knowing what one is booking into and not expecting privileges to avoid the standards in place for everyone else.  I am seeing too many people on this thread trying to figure out how to get around the rules while the rest of us pack enough to comply, and endure without "nice shorts, flipflops, tee shirts, and well behaved under-aged children."

I thought this thread was about how to enjoy an experience that isn't the same as the rest of the ship.  Maybe I'm wrong....

3 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Thank you for your concern, but my post was more about knowing what one is booking into and not expecting privileges to avoid the standards in place for everyone else.  I am seeing too many people on this thread trying to figure out how to get around the rules while the rest of us pack enough to comply, and endure without "nice shorts, flipflops, tee shirts, and well behaved under-aged children."

I thought this thread was about how to enjoy an experience that isn't the same as the rest of the ship.  Maybe I'm wrong....

You are not wrong.  This is the update to the original posting many years ago.  Both took different turns as people posted different ideas.  The problem is sometimes, when the topic goes off the intent, you just have to let it play out.  The alternative is a huge issue that has nothing to do with the Secrets of the Haven VIP Experience.  

With the current investment in the Haven on all NCL ships, it should be what it was designed to be.  Luxury on a Mainstream Cruise Brand.  A Ship Within A Ship concept.  Yet when NCL has 3 & 4 passengers free which are mostly kids,  when the staff get a complaint from a guest even when the guest is wrong, the staff member pays the price.  

As I have said so many times, until you go to the Haven, you can't judge it.  I have seen folks come in not appropriately dress.  I watched them leave and come back dressed very nicely.  I have also seen folks dress poorly, asked to change clothes and argue loudly.  The one thing we can not control on a cruise ship, is the other guests as much as I would hope we could.  

The kids on the Haven Sundeck is a rule for a reason.  I have seen younger kids up there but only for a very short time.  To the kids, it is boring, to the adults it is amazing.  Not designed for kids.  I have never seen a kid in a hot tub in the Haven Sundeck.  I have seen both the hot tubs in the Haven Courtyard filled with kids.  

This and other reason are why I have personally stopped doing any NCL or Haven cruise during any holiday or spring break.  It is also why I am on Oceania on my next cruise.  I hope this makes sense and you can see for the most part, I agree with you.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

You are not wrong.  This is the update to the original posting many years ago.  Both took different turns as people posted different ideas.  The problem is sometimes, when the topic goes off the intent, you just have to let it play out.  The alternative is a huge issue that has nothing to do with the Secrets of the Haven VIP Experience.  

With the current investment in the Haven on all NCL ships, it should be what it was designed to be.  Luxury on a Mainstream Cruise Brand.  A Ship Within A Ship concept.  Yet when NCL has 3 & 4 passengers free which are mostly kids,  when the staff get a complaint from a guest even when the guest is wrong, the staff member pays the price.  

As I have said so many times, until you go to the Haven, you can't judge it.  I have seen folks come in not appropriately dress.  I watched them leave and come back dressed very nicely.  I have also seen folks dress poorly, asked to change clothes and argue loudly.  The one thing we can not control on a cruise ship, is the other guests as much as I would hope we could.  

The kids on the Haven Sundeck is a rule for a reason.  I have seen younger kids up there but only for a very short time.  To the kids, it is boring, to the adults it is amazing.  Not designed for kids.  I have never seen a kid in a hot tub in the Haven Sundeck.  I have seen both the hot tubs in the Haven Courtyard filled with kids.  

This and other reason are why I have personally stopped doing any NCL or Haven cruise during any holiday or spring break.  It is also why I am on Oceania on my next cruise.  I hope this makes sense and you can see for the most part, I agree with you.  

Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Thank you.

Daniel, I think you will appreciate this.  My birthday is on Wens.  This morning, EARLY, I ordered Hot Pastrami, Rye bread, Pickles and Cheese Cake from the Carnegie Deli.  It will arrive on Wens.  My wife and I are on a Keto Diet to get ready for our November Mediterranean Cruise.  We both have lost  some serious weight.  The only time we go off is birthdays, anniversaries and Cruises.  

I grew up on Huntington, NY.  I would always visit Carnegie when I went to the city.  This brings back great memories.  I thought I would share.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm sensing there's some miscommunication here (that NEVER happens on the internet!). I'm not advocating tank tops or swimwear in restaurants, Haven or otherwise. I'm also not in favor of breaking or circumventing the rules, nor of throwing decorum out the window. It isn't against the rules to wear shorts in the Haven restaurant anyway.  I'm saying prohibiting shorts on a tropical cruise is nonsensical. The rules need to fit the environment, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be any limitations at all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/16/2023 at 9:47 AM, Sthrngary said:

@knscruiser322 Remember, you most likely paid for the gratuities pre-cruise for the room steward.  The next tip you give them if any at all is the last day.  There will be envelopes put in your suite.  The bartender I usually give $20.00 for the crew on the first day and do another $20.00 a few days in. 

They can only give you what they have.  However, there is a special line when entering the go-cart area for Haven Guest to fill in the race if cars are available.  More crowed at night, less crowded in the day.  All of your questions have to do with the number of people on your ship.  No way to give a definitive answer. 

I found the go-carts hit or miss.  I did it once and that was enough for me.  Same with Lasor tag. 

@knscruiser322

Hello knscruiser, I have a question about tipping the bartenders while in the Haven, the tips you give the bartenders are on top of the pre-paid bar gratuities correct?

1 minute ago, Branbay said:

@knscruiser322

Hello knscruiser, I have a question about tipping the bartenders while in the Haven, the tips you give the bartenders are on top of the pre-paid bar gratuities correct?

Yes, Your drink package has already included the gratuity, anything extra you choose to give to the bartenders is up to you. 

• Thanks 3

Just for some laughs, my wife asked what stateroom we were in last night, she doesn't know we are staying in the Haven as it's a surprise. So I quickly blurted out it was on deck 15...she bought it...lol.  I also had some difficulty intercepting the Haven letter with the luggage tags, she's a school teacher and she's off for the summer.

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Branbay said:

Just for some laughs, my wife asked what stateroom we were in last night, she doesn't know we are staying in the Haven as it's a surprise. So I quickly blurted out it was on deck 15...she bought it...lol.  I also had some difficulty intercepting the Haven letter with the luggage tags, she's a school teacher and she's off for the summer.

Funny story. I did the same thing as you. I noticed the price difference between the bidding and upgrading to Haven was not that big of a difference so I upgraded to the Haven. 

My wife still thinks we're in a Club Balcony on deck 11, the surprise is we're in the Haven on deck 14. I thought she deserved some relaxing and this would be a first for both of us in the Haven.

Oh she also is a school teacher! I guess there are a lot of educators who frequent these boards.

Edited by knscruiser322
  • Like 1