FYI - Joy Haven sun deck is over crowded

crockea

5 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@erisajd I read that contributors post as well. 71 posts since 2014.  I thought that interesting.  Many cruisecritic.com contributors that say that the MSC Yacht Club, Celebrity Retreat, and the NCL Haven is a slap in the face of the many, many others on the ship especially when the ship is sold out.  When I read the post, I wanted to say what you said but a lot harsher.  Instead, I took a different path.  Feel free to look back at my response. 

The Yacht Club, Retreat and Haven are premium categories and not designed with the entire ship in mind.  The creation of the Ship-in-a-Ship was to attempt to solve the issue of dissatisfaction on a fully loaded cruise ship.  

• Private sundeck to reduce Chair Hogs (Key word reduce)
  • Private Pool and hot tubs for 200 or so guest on a ship that holds 4,000.
  • Private dining room with upgraded foods
  • Private bar with better brands available
  • Butlers which also can be hit or miss but still nice.
  • A place for quiet not chaotic. 

The list goes on and on. It also has a significate premium.  WHY, because folks that would have normally gone on a smaller ultra-luxury ship also wanted Broadway shows, Water Slides, and a huge floating hotel.  This is why all those three area's are sold out usually first. 

When folk put down those premium areas it is usually someone that has never done it.  Words like I can go on three cruise for the price of a Haven Suite tend to come up often.  Well, that is true but I would personally like to go on one cruise in a manner that I enjoy every if it costs me three times the price. My money and therefore my decision. Yet I support anyone that cruises in any stateroom level.  I am not insulted by them.  I was one of them until I wanted to improve my cruising experience.  So I did and with that came a decision on paying more.  Which I made. 

It seems in our world, anyone that does something different then one choses for themselves seems to be wrong.  I say, hogwash.  As my adult children tall me all the time. If you don't like my choices, "You do You".  The poster that your above comment is for simply needs to do them. I will see YOU in the Haven one day.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

I like to say “Don’t yuck other people’s yum.” 🙂

Full disclosure- I have never been in Haven. But we do “Haven Lite” thanks to your suggestions. We have a club balcony, upgrade to FAS+, Vibe, and this year we went with Thermal Spa, and an additional 2 nights of specialty dining so 6/7 nights are covered. 

I don’t care that there’s Haven, I’m happy for those who can afford that experience. For us, we’re not big butler people so the 3x the cost isn’t our interest. But if I can upgrade myself on a plane, I will do so any chance I get. That’s what’s worth it to me, while others will say “we’re all getting to the same destination, it’s not worth it.”  

It’s all what’s worth it to you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jleslie48 said:

1) no on the spa for two reasons: A) its pretty small,

B)the spa is a public space that is available to all.

2) The "seeing part" I was only on the breakaway once, I don't remember, but I remember constantly running into doors that needed a swipe to enter.  I found it very distasteful.  On the prima, it is right in your face.   Either way, having two classes on the same ship I find uncomfortable. 

First, the spa is not a public space that is available to everyone.  It is available to those who pay for access - same as the Haven, albeit on a smaller scale.

On the “in your face” comment, there are limited doors into the Haven area.  Usually one or two on two decks.  Not sure how that’ll “in your face”.  Would you prefer the doors not be marked?

On the substance, I’ve been in the Haven four times - soon to be five.  Also have been on at least ten NCL cruises when I wasn’t in the Haven, in cabins ranging from a studio to an Oceanview to a balcony and a club balcony.  I’ve enjoyed every one of them.  Do I love the Haven?  Absolutely.  But I somehow manage to have fun when I’m not there.  And has been stated by others, we’ve worked our entire lives to be able to afford this luxury and it’s our choice how we choose to spend the capital that we’ve spent a lifetime accumulating.  I refuse to feel guilty for it.  

Do you feel the same way about people in first class on an airplane?  I’m afraid I’m not seeing the difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, jleslie48 said:

that is even more disgusting. I'm so glad that I stick to ships where everybody is equal. 

you live in new jersey. have you never seen a broadway show? have you ever noticed how some people sit down front in center orchestra seats, while others are upstairs in the mezzanine and still others are in the balcony? do you think everybody is "equal?"

speaking of broadway, here's a little ditty from a popular show of many years ago.

do please enjoy!

🎶  🎶  🎶

"some men are born to live at ease, doing what they please, richer than the bees are in honey.
never growing old, never feeling cold, plucking pots of gold from thin air.
the best in every town, best at shaking down, best at making mountains of money.
they can't take it with them, but what do they care?

they get the center of the meat, cushions on the seat, houses on the street where it's sunny.
summers at the sea, winters warm and free, all of this... and we get the rest.
but who is the land for, the sun and the sand for?

you guessed, it's all for the...
you must never be distressed.
yes, it's all for the...
all your wrongs will be redressed.
yes it's all for the...
someone's got to be oppressed.

yes, it's all for the best!"  

🎶  🎶  🎶

Edited by UKstages
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, jleslie48 said:

For that price I'll take the Cunard and have a whole ship of luxury instead of a fishbowl to vacation in.

5 hours ago, jleslie48 said:

that is even more disgusting. I'm so glad that I stick to ships where everybody is equal.   

3 hours ago, jleslie48 said:

I would be embarrassed sitting in a haven lounge with hoards of people walking by in a crowd looking in. 

Wow, wow, wow. A karen without a clue. Is there such a thing as an anti-karen? Nope. I didn't think so.

Social Media is for the sharing of idea's and opinions.  When it gets messy is when different groups disagree with the opinion and it becomes combative.  Instead of "live and let live".  It becomes "a hill to die" on for some strange reason. A personal afront to a person because they want the entire ship access but pay for normal access.  

Some like the Haven, some don't for what every reason they choose to have. The cruise brands really LIKE the area's similar to the Haven.  They make huge profits there.  Any guest that goes on a ship that has a VIP section does so knowing there will be restrictive area's they can not go to because they did not pay the premium. If they don't like that situation, book on another brand.  You knew the deal before you cruised or YOU did not do your due diligence. 

I personally rarely address these complaints about these VIP area's on CruiseCritic.com or any other social media site. People just want to complain sometimes about things that they feel are unfair.  Just the world we live in.  This time, for what ever reason I spoke out.  I first tried very hard to be balanced, fair and understanding. Then I got a little more direct.  Now, I am just done with the topic and people that post only when they are feeling wronged. All they want is other folks to support their point of view.  They don't want to fix anything.  If they did, they would take their issue to the cruise company. A truly losing battle which is why they show up here. 

Folks, if you don't like what the notion of the Haven, Retreat or Yacht Club does to a ship, go on a ship that does not have one.  If you think it is not a value, have the common courtesy to booking before you trash it. Ask yourself a question, why did you choose a line with this area.  It is not my fault or any guest in this area.  We knew exactly what we were doing.  We studied it, knew the costs and made a educated business decision.  Some times we do not go to this area yet do a concept called "Haven Lite".  Again, a well thought out plan to achieve our cruising experience objective.  

If you have an issue with these area, make your case and move on.  Don't forget to take some level of accountability for your choose.  These area's are here to stay.  Now that you know that, choose a better choice for you and your family.  "Live and let live.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

On point with the original topic, I have never experienced overcrowding on the Haven sundeck, but I am interested to see how it will be when we sail on the Joy in a few weeks.  I can believe this might be more of an issue because of the additional cabins that were recently added to the Haven on the Joy.

15 hours ago, IAcruising said:

I would be embarrassed sitting in a haven lounge with hoards of people walking by in a crowd looking in. 

On many airlines, you must walk through first class to get to seats in the rest of the plane. I doubt anyone in first class is embarrassed when other passengers are walking by them.

To each their own with regard to the Haven, and I agree with many of the other posters' points here.  I would just add that it's fine if you don't like the concept of the Haven area on NCL, but reading some of these posts feels like you're attacking the guests who book these experiences as well.  I would say that the customers who choose to stay in the Haven or other similar areas are typically regular, average, everyday people like everyone else on the ship; it's not an elitist club or anything like that, just a different tiered level of service.  At the end of the day, there's a reason that NCL can charge the prices it does for the Haven and then sell it out on the majority of sailings.

15 hours ago, IAcruising said:

I don't believe that the type of equality you're suggesting really exists anywhere.  This is a bit of a tangent, but many years ago, on a trip to WDW, we happened to be in the park during the same week as Princess Diana and her kids.  It was not uncommon for parts of the park to be completely closed off from regular guests for part of the day, and I remember two times when we were exiting a ride and were stopped to wait for the entourage to pass by.  While it certainly made the week more unpredictable, but we were never upset by this, and it certainly did not affect the enjoyment of our vacation in any way. 

• Thanks 2

On 2/14/2022 at 2:10 PM, cruising sister said:

If they got rid of the weird and not real comfortable sofas  on the Haven sun deck and replace with loungers that would help. 

On 2/14/2022 at 6:43 PM, vacation44 said:

On Joy now and I agree.  There are alot of uncomfortable seats on the sun deck.  They need to remove these and replace them with loungers.   We have not had a problem yet getting loungers, but the weather has not been perfect.

I wonder if they switched out the uncomfortable seats during the last two years.   

On the last sea day of our cruise (noted above), it was the one beautiful day weather wise and all of the comfortable lounges were taken all day and the cabanas on both sides were taken up by 8:00 a.m. for the day.  

We are truly looking forward to only being with 200 of my closest friends instead of 4000. 

We will likely be in coach with you flying to and from Seattle.  Though. Since we’re both executive platinum on American we have our aisle seats across from each other - so I’m sure you’ll find something to complain about about that also. 

5 hours ago, Wahoowa9904 said:

Joy Haven sundeck is completely full on the sea day today, just FYI. Still a million times better than the Easter week chaos on the main pool deck. 

Edit: It had mostly emptied out by 1pm.

6 hours ago, Wahoowa9904 said:

Joy Haven sundeck is completely full on the sea day today, just FYI. Still a million times better than the Easter week chaos on the main pool deck. 

1 minute ago, Wahoowa9904 said:

Edit: It had mostly emptied out by 1pm.

Thanks for the insight.  We’ll be onboard in two weeks and plan to spend a significant amount of my time in a cabana on the sun deck.  It’s my happy place.  😃❤️

On 3/30/2024 at 4:53 PM, IAcruising said:

@Kortehgehn  You severely misquoted me. All those quotes were posted by @jleslie48 .

Please be more careful next time.

Hahaha I was so confused when I read those quotes. I was like...ummm, pretty sure that wasn't good ole lonesome road IA! 

Oh @jleslie48, I'm glad you're here to provide a diversity of opinion! 

On 2/14/2022 at 12:17 PM, crockea said:

Was on the Joy last week and wanted to pass along to those going on the Joy in the Haven, that the upper sun deck is over crowded.  There are many more Haven cabins on the Joy.  Even though the sun deck is larger than on the some of the other ships, it is not large enough for all the Haven guests.  There were some seat savers but not a lot, and still not any open seats on the last sea day.  Fortunately the ship was only 1/3 full so we had the rest of the ship to sit out but thought those of you who've been in the Haven before and were able to enjoy the perk of no crowds, you might not experience the same on the Joy.  The Vibe club (what I could see through the crack in the door) looked completely empty.  My hope would be that NCL will give up a portion of Vibe to Haven if the trend continues, but .... ?  Now, I know some may think "whaaaaa, you poor thing".  But when you spend so much more to have extra space, it is disappointing.

We've been on the Joy twice and never had an issue. Paying more for Haven doesn't mean you get anything you want anytime you want. Just means instead of fighting 3000 people for 1000 chairs, you're fighting 100 people for 50 chairs. Going to dinner at 'prime time' 6:30pm will have a bit of a wait at the MDR and at the Haven if everyone decides to eat there that night. Going to the sundeck after lunch on a sea day will be crowded in gen pop and in Haven.