FYI - Joy Haven sun deck is over crowded

crockea

38 minutes ago, jleslie48 said:

I've never eaten at the buffet. 12 times on the Jewel class ships, the specialty restaurants, the main dining room and O'sheehan's bar.  The Main Dining room is spectacular. Both of them.  I've never eaten at complimentary Asian Restaurant either. 

I'm glad you enjoy them! That's great! And there are certainly cruises for all of us. I just don't want the mid-size ship Haven experience. If I'm paying for the Haven, I want THE Haven which includes the entire complex. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I'm glad you enjoy them! That's great! And there are certainly cruises for all of us. I just don't want the mid-size ship Haven experience. If I'm paying for the Haven, I want THE Haven which includes the entire complex. 

Here’s a thought.  Don’t pay for the Haven on a Jewel class ship😉.  We haven’t sailed a Jewel class ship since our first cruise in October ‘21 and that was the Jade.  Our AK cruise in 47 days (I’m counting) is on the Jewel.  It will be interesting to see how we feel about the smaller ship.  I guess the Havenites will have to rub shoulders with us commoners 🤣. I wonder if I will be able to spot them.  Oh wait…they will be in a parade, I’ve been told.  

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Here’s a thought.  Don’t pay for the Haven on a Jewel class ship😉.  We haven’t sailed a Jewel class ship since our first cruise in October ‘21 and that was the Jade.  Our AK cruise in 47 days (I’m counting) is on the Jewel.  It will be interesting to see how we feel about the smaller ship.  I guess the Havenites will have to rub shoulders with us commoners 🤣. I wonder if I will be able to spot them.  Oh wait…they will be in a parade, I’ve been told.  

Last August/September, we sailed on the Jewel in a non Haven cabin and really enjoyed the smaller ship.   The only thing we missed was the Vibe on our last sea day as the weather was beautiful.

For us, the best part of Haven is the restaurant so we would never stay in a Haven category on a ship that does not have a Haven restaurant.

• Like 2

I do have to ask why we’re resurrecting a thread that has been dead for two years.

But, regardless, personally I love the Joy Haven.  Been in it twice and will be again in just over three weeks.  I’ve also been in the Haven on the Breakaway and the Epic.  The Joy is by far my favorite.  In my two previous trios on her, I never had an issue finding an empty cabana, much less a lounger.  And the ship was full on both sailings.  I love the fact that there are two hot tubs on the sun deck.  They don’t exist  on the BA or the Epic.  Also like the interior elevator that brings you to the sun deck.  That doesn’t exist on the BA.  And love the Horizon Lounge on the Joy.

To each their own, but I love the Joy and its sun deck.  I plan to spend lots of time up there in two and a half weeks.😃

13 minutes ago, Russiamomm said:

I do have to ask why we’re resurrecting a thread that has been dead for two years.

But, regardless, personally I love the Joy Haven.  Been in it twice and will be again in just over three weeks.  I’ve also been in the Haven on the Breakaway and the Epic.  The Joy is by far my favorite.  In my two previous trios on her, I never had an issue finding an empty cabana, much less a lounger.  And the ship was full on both sailings.  I love the fact that there are two hot tubs on the sun deck.  They don’t exist  on the BA or the Epic.  Also like the interior elevator that brings you to the sun deck.  That doesn’t exist on the BA.  And love the Horizon Lounge on the Joy.

To each their own, but I love the Joy and its sun deck.  I plan to spend lots of time up there in two and a half weeks.😃

I cruise consultant recommended the joy to me for a cruise, I searched the internet with the question "how crowded is the Norwegian Joy"  and it took me here.   That simple.   

Just now, jleslie48 said:

I cruise consultant recommended the joy to me for a cruise, I searched the internet with the question "how crowded is the Norwegian Joy"  and it took me here.   That simple.   

The haven is a very easy decision for me.   I only have so many $$$ for cruising.  I'd rather take an obstructed view cabin 3x a year than 1x a year in a haven cabin.   

5 minutes ago, jleslie48 said:

Not a problem.  But generally speaking it’s best to start a new topic as things could have changed.  

As I said, I loved everything about the Haven on the Joy, but obviously your mileage may vary, as is evident from this and other threads.

59 minutes ago, Russiamomm said:

I loved Joy's sundeck....but that's because we had a cabana. I may gripe about certain things (loud drunkards in the hot tub, slow drink service), but at the end of the day, I'd totally book Joy again!! 

1 hour ago, laudergayle said:

@vacation44 and @YVRteacher have made me seriously (and I do mean seriously) consider booking a non-Haven room on Jewel, specifically. Are you going to make it a triumvirate?

You should bring Smarties and throw them at the Haveners parading onboard!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

triumvirate

Lol…you sent me to the dictionary 🤣.  

When we were on the Jade we kept running into the same couple.  They were from Marsielle, France and were staying in the Haven.  But since there isn’t any formal Haven, we saw them at dinner, bars, the theater.  On the last day we said we were staying in Athens for another day.  They said, oui, oui  We said we’re staying in Platka, they said, oui, oui.  Turns out they were staying in the same hotel two rooms away from us.  We shared a fabulous dinner and made some new friends.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Russiamomm said:

Because it matches the topic they want to discuss? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jleslie48 said:

The haven is a very easy decision for me.   I only have so many $$$ for cruising.  I'd rather take an obstructed view cabin 3x a year than 1x a year in a haven cabin.   

@jleslie48 I have stayed in the Haven and the Club Suite which is not in the Haven on the NCL Joy.  Feel free to ask me anything you would like.  I also went on the Joy as a Solo.  Happy to help.  In the future, with a specific question, just do a new thread.  Most everyone here is extremely helpful.  

Whether you see the benefit of the Haven, or any other stateroom is a personal decision.  We all respect those decision on most CruiseCritic.com threads.  The more specific you are on your question, the better the answer will be to support you.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

Booked the Haven Aft Penthouse, leaving this April on a 5 day cruise to Bermuda on the Joy. I later second guessed the decision about being outside of Haven proper. Although I bid recently to be in the main Haven area, I don't think that's likely to happen since all those cabins are sold out online. 

Just hoping for decent weather and looking forward to the Aft views/space. If anyone has Haven aft experience, please advise.

(fyi traveling with my 91 year old mom)

On 2/14/2022 at 12:17 PM, crockea said:

Was on the Joy last week and wanted to pass along to those going on the Joy in the Haven, that the upper sun deck is over crowded.  There are many more Haven cabins on the Joy.  Even though the sun deck is larger than on the some of the other ships, it is not large enough for all the Haven guests.  There were some seat savers but not a lot, and still not any open seats on the last sea day.  Fortunately the ship was only 1/3 full so we had the rest of the ship to sit out but thought those of you who've been in the Haven before and were able to enjoy the perk of no crowds, you might not experience the same on the Joy.  The Vibe club (what I could see through the crack in the door) looked completely empty.  My hope would be that NCL will give up a portion of Vibe to Haven if the trend continues, but .... ?  Now, I know some may think "whaaaaa, you poor thing".  But when you spend so much more to have extra space, it is disappointing.

The title of your thread is misleading.  The deck may have been overcrowded on YOUR sailing.  That does not mean the deack"is overcrowded".  If everyone who has access to the deck (or any otehr place on a ship) attempts to use it at the same time, there will be overcrowding.  We did not run into any such issues on any of our Haven cruises on the Joy.  Sorry it happened to you.

On 3/27/2024 at 9:45 AM, jleslie48 said:

The entire breakaway class is an abomination.   The interior areas block off views of the ocean, the open air areas are entirely too small for the number of passengers, and quite frankly the Haven is an insult to anyone not in it and leaves me with a bad vibe all around. Never again. 

Try a jewel class cruise with Norwegian you'll notice the difference immedately: You never have to get a reservation for anything. Walk into the theater 2 minutes before the show, you'll get a good seat.  Have dinner in any restaurant no wait.  I was just on the Gem in 2024 and it was at ful capacity.  Never an issue getting a lounge chair.   

edit: I forgot to mention the atrocity that is the elevator situation on the breakaway class.  I've seen subway stations less crowded than the wait (up to 4 groups,) ahead of you to take an elevator.   How in god's name did they make these ships with 20 decks and only 2 banks of elevators.  

What is your problem with the Haven?  You're not in it?  I mean, did you fly coach to the port and then complain about the people sitting in first class?  You pay the money you get the service - its like that in every category of life.  

The rest of your complaint I 100% agree with - going everywhere with 4000 of your closest friends - which is EXACTLY why we paid for the Haven this cruise . . . . 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, erisajd said:

What is your problem with the Haven?  You're not in it?  I mean, did you fly coach to the port and then complain about the people sitting in first class?  You pay the money you get the service - its like that in every category of life.  

The rest of your complaint I 100% agree with - going everywhere with 4000 of your closest friends - which is EXACTLY why we paid for the Haven this cruise . . . . 

@erisajd I read that contributors post as well. 71 posts since 2014.  I thought that interesting.  Many cruisecritic.com contributors that say that the MSC Yacht Club, Celebrity Retreat, and the NCL Haven is a slap in the face of the many, many others on the ship especially when the ship is sold out.  When I read the post, I wanted to say what you said but a lot harsher.  Instead, I took a different path.  Feel free to look back at my response. 

The Yacht Club, Retreat and Haven are premium categories and not designed with the entire ship in mind.  The creation of the Ship-in-a-Ship was to attempt to solve the issue of dissatisfaction on a fully loaded cruise ship.  

• Private sundeck to reduce Chair Hogs (Key word reduce)
  • Private Pool and hot tubs for 200 or so guest on a ship that holds 4,000.
  • Private dining room with upgraded foods
  • Private bar with better brands available
  • Butlers which also can be hit or miss but still nice.
  • A place for quiet not chaotic. 

The list goes on and on. It also has a significate premium.  WHY, because folks that would have normally gone on a smaller ultra-luxury ship also wanted Broadway shows, Water Slides, and a huge floating hotel.  This is why all those three area's are sold out usually first. 

When folk put down those premium areas it is usually someone that has never done it.  Words like I can go on three cruise for the price of a Haven Suite tend to come up often.  Well, that is true but I would personally like to go on one cruise in a manner that I enjoy every if it costs me three times the price. My money and therefore my decision. Yet I support anyone that cruises in any stateroom level.  I am not insulted by them.  I was one of them until I wanted to improve my cruising experience.  So I did and with that came a decision on paying more.  Which I made. 

It seems in our world, anyone that does something different then one choses for themselves seems to be wrong.  I say, hogwash.  As my adult children tall me all the time. If you don't like my choices, "You do You".  The poster that your above comment is for simply needs to do them. I will see YOU in the Haven one day.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, erisajd said:

complaint about the haven?  the ship is too crowded to begin and the haven blocks of 20-30% of the public space for 400 passengers while 3600 are in a cattle car.  so as a haven guest you have now stay in 20-30% of a ship.  For that price I'll take the Cunard and have a whole ship of luxury instead of a fishbowl to vacation in.

Edited by jleslie48
more details

5 minutes ago, jleslie48 said:

complaint about the haven?  the ship is too crowded to begin and the haven blocks of 20-30% of the public space for 400 passengers while 3600 are in a cattle car. 

@jleslie48 Them there are the RULES.  It is 200, not 400 Haven Guests.  Haven guest pay 3 times plus more then every one else pays.  The Premium gets the Amenities. If you don't like it, choose a ship/brand/category with NO Haven, Yacht Club or Retreat.  This debate happens all that time on every cruise line blog not just NCL. It is fine as long as everyone understands, YOU pay the price YOU get the space.  

We are all clear now YOU don't like the Haven.  Consider that fact clear.  I don't like the Haven either, I LOVE the Haven. I would not go on a main stream brand not in one of those premium areas.  Allow me to also add, I grew up poor, saved my money all my life and now want that kind of experience.  I earned it.  Now YOU do YOU.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment how ever you want to cruise. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, jleslie48 said:

that is even more disgusting. I'm so glad that I stick to ships where everybody is equal.   

@jleslie48 Well thank you for agreeing with my post.  Spend YOUR money where you feel it will be the best value.  Now and allow me to say it again.  Your point has been made, you don't like the Haven.  Opinions are all we really have. 

1 hour ago, jleslie48 said:

that is even more disgusting. I'm so glad that I stick to ships where everybody is equal.   

Even on Cunard, some staterooms are larger than others. People who pay more get more. The Haven might be a bit more blatant but "everybody is equal" doesn't really exist on any line.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Even on Cunard, some staterooms are larger than others. People who pay more get more. The Haven might be a bit more blatant but "everybody is equal" doesn't really exist on any line.

Of course, that is your personal space.  Everything I complained about was about public space.  Please review.

I would be embarrassed sitting in a haven lounge with hoards of people walking by in a crowd looking in.    

11 minutes ago, jleslie48 said:

Of course, that is your personal space.  Everything I complained about was about public space.  Please review.

Do you feel the same about the Spa (new) and VIBE (expanded)? People who pay extra get uncrowded space.

39 minutes ago, jleslie48 said:

I would be embarrassed sitting in a haven lounge with hoards of people walking by in a crowd looking in. 

While sitting in the Haven lounge, you can only be seen by Haven guests.

27 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Do you feel the same about the Spa (new) and VIBE (expanded)? People who pay extra get uncrowded space.

While sitting in the Haven lounge, you can only be seen by Haven guests.

1) no on the spa for two reasons: A) its pretty small,

B)the spa is a public space that is available to all.

2) The "seeing part" I was only on the breakaway once, I don't remember, but I remember constantly running into doors that needed a swipe to enter.  I found it very distasteful.  On the prima, it is right in your face.   Either way, having two classes on the same ship I find uncomfortable. 

28 minutes ago, jleslie48 said:

2) The "seeing part" I was only on the breakaway once, I don't remember, but I remember constantly running into doors that needed a swipe to enter.  I found it very distasteful. 

I don't know where you were but it could have been the door to VIBE that was locked, not necessarily a Haven door. 

35 minutes ago, jleslie48 said:

Either way, having two classes on the same ship I find uncomfortable. 

I don't really understand how it's uncomfortable but if it's not for you, it's not for you. Not everyone likes the same things.