Which island do you skip or stay on ship for?

vanchelle

We have a jam-packed itinerary this Summer. I’m preparing for it to be very hot- it’s the 3rd week of June. 
In a perfect scenario, we will visit every port and enjoy either an excursion or DIY a visit. But I like to have a plan b or c in case we’re tired, sore, sunburned or just needing a break and want to stay in ship. 

which would you skip? (Potentially)?? And why?

Kusadasi 6am-1230 pm 

same day Patmos 630pm-midnight 

Rhodes 8am-6pm

Mykonos 7am-4pm

Argostoli 10-6

Corfu 7-3

Santorini 1230-930 

decisions…..😂

Make it a beach day in Argostoli. Better timing for the beach than in Mykonos. Plus a nice small town to walk around for a little bit if that's all you want. But get off the ship. It's a beautiful little place.

Edited by marazul
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, vanchelle said:

We have a jam-packed itinerary this Summer. I’m preparing for it to be very hot- it’s the 3rd week of June. 
In a perfect scenario, we will visit every port and enjoy either an excursion or DIY a visit. But I like to have a plan b or c in case we’re tired, sore, sunburned or just needing a break and want to stay in ship. 

which would you skip? (Potentially)?? And why?

Kusadasi 6am-1230 pm 

Rhodes 8am-6pm

Mykonos 7am-4pm

Argostoli 10-6

Corfu 7-3

Santorini 1230-930 

decisions…..😂

Yea that’s rough. 😂 However we did Greece last July and had a port every day it was a little exhausting and very HOT. I will say don’t miss Corfu, our favorite by far, my wife keeps trying to buy a house there!  We also did Rhodes, Mykonos, and Santorini. If I had to rank our top 4, Corfu, Rhodes, Santorini, and Mykonos. The last 2 are beautiful backdrops, but very trendy touristy (we loved the history/culture of travel more). I would visit all 4 but you could spend less time in Santorini/Mykonos and still be alright.

We actually needed a break by the time we got to Mykonos and 2-3 hours was good for pics and a gelato or two. Another thing to note, everything will take awhile in Santorini so you can’t do that one “fast”, especially if you go to Oia (where all the photo spots are and people watching the Instagrammers has its own entertainment value). So I would keep that in mind. Don’t know about the other islands. 

Edited by jas283a
  • Thanks 2

Some helpful notes about the destinations:

Kusadasi: Ephesus is a must visit

Rhodes: Beautiful island, with old town as the highlight

Mykonos: Delos excursion is a good choice (if it is offered)

*careful because Mykonos most of the times is overcrowded by ships.

Argostoli: if you want a beach day this place is a must. The island has some of the best beaches in Greece (Makris Yialos or Myrtos beach is a must).

Corfu: Achillion Palace is a good excursion

Santorini: Santorini is Santorini. Mostly as a brand name cause apart from the views nothing special is on the island to see.

*same thing about Mykonos-tends to be an overcrowded place.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 2/18/2022 at 9:14 PM, vanchelle said:

Kusadasi 6am-1230 pm 

Rhodes 8am-6pm

Mykonos 7am-4pm

Argostoli 10-6

Corfu 7-3

Santorini 1230-930 

decisions…..😂

I think I am looking to book the same one.  Is this Jade?

If forced to make a choice I'd probably skip Argostoli because I'm not a beach person. But if you are, then don't skip it.

All the others have sites well worth seeing. I absolutely would NOT skip Kusadasi as Ephesus is one of the star attractions of any cruise (or visit to Turkey). 

• Thanks 1

Kefalonia is a stunningly beautiful island with water of absolutely amazing colour.   Even if you’re not a beach person I would do a drive to see the coastline, the underground lake and perhaps have some lovely wine.   If you watch Captain Corelli’s Mandolin with Nicolas Cage you’ll get an idea of the sublime scenery.   Argostoli also is a cute town, where sea turtles can often be seen. 
Mykonos is the island I would most give a miss.  Far too touristy.  Unless it’s not too hot, then visit Delos. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/27/2022 at 3:15 PM, bennybear said:

Kefalonia is a stunningly beautiful island with water of absolutely amazing colour.   Even if you’re not a beach person I would do a drive to see the coastline, the underground lake and perhaps have some lovely wine.   If you watch Captain Corelli’s Mandolin with Nicolas Cage you’ll get an idea of the sublime scenery.   Argostoli also is a cute town, where sea turtles can often be seen. 
Mykonos is the island I would most give a miss.  Far too touristy.  Unless it’s not too hot, then visit Delos. 

My wife wants to go to Delos…third week of June in day 5…I’m so afraid we’re going to be exhausted and I won’t be up for the heat. Lol 

I’m actually hoping to find a custom Kefalonia tour to see the lake, cave and stop for some beach pics/time. I’m really looking forward to this stop. 

Edited by vanchelle
  • Like 1

On 2/20/2022 at 5:19 AM, SummmerInKefalonia said:

Some helpful notes about the destinations:

Kusadasi: Ephesus is a must visit

Rhodes: Beautiful island, with old town as the highlight

Mykonos: Delos excursion is a good choice (if it is offered)

*careful because Mykonos most of the times is overcrowded by ships.

Argostoli: if you want a beach day this place is a must. The island has some of the best beaches in Greece (Makris Yialos or Myrtos beach is a must).

Corfu: Achillion Palace is a good excursion

Santorini: Santorini is Santorini. Mostly as a brand name cause apart from the views nothing special is on the island to see.

*same thing about Mykonos-tends to be an overcrowded place.

Can you suggest a site to look at # of ships in port? I used to have a site saved on my old phone but now when I google it the info is useless/outdated. 

6 hours ago, vanchelle said:

Can you suggest a site to look at # of ships in port? I used to have a site saved on my old phone but now when I google it the info is useless/outdated. 

Usually cruisetimetables is the most accurate but still misses some small ships.

From what I can see, you will have these ships together in each port you visit:

Kusadasi: Celebrity Reflection, Celestyal Crystal & Wind Star.

Patmos: Celestyal Crystal & Wind Star.

Rhodes: Crown Iris, Seabourn Encore & Celestyal Crystal.

Mykonos: Costa Pacifica, MSC Armonia & Azamara Journey.

Argostoli: Costa Deliziosa.

Corfu: Marella Explorer & Wind Surf.

Santorini: Azamara Journey.

Edited by SummmerInKefalonia
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, vanchelle said:

Cruisemapper.com. You look up the port and schedule by month/day to see which ships are in port. You can also click the link for the ship to see how many passengers it carries.

• Thanks 1

Agree with all of the above suggestions, if I was to recommend one to miss it would be Mykonos. If it's your first time there then I'd suggest going but only for a short while, may be an hour or two at most. 

Another one where you can take it easy is Rhodes as the ships dock a 2 minute walk from the town. Don't take an excursion, just do your own thing and have a walk around the town at your own pace.

It's your cruise so do as much or as little as you please, don't fell you have to see and do everything as that's impossible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I agree Ephesus is a must see.  However, last month I was there for a second time and since there wasn't a whole lot I wanted to do from Kusadasi (especially since most excursions were pretty long), I voluntarily went back to Ephesus.  I had wanted to take the public bus there, but learned a lot of walking was still involved in doing that, so chose the shortest, least inclusive tour I could.  Even so, it showed me a lot of Ephesus without a whole lot of standing in the hot sun (and yes, it WAS hot - cloudless 75 degree days in the Med CAN be hot).  So now it's a month later and I'd suggest NOT booking an all day trip to Ephesus with the Terrace Houses and Mary's House (supposedly, anyway) included.  Just book something simple, maybe 3 hour tour and you'll see the best Ephesus has to offer.  For me, that was mostly the Library of Celcus....

And I really liked Naples, though I was warned it was dirty & gritty.  There's some great artwork in some of the metro stations for starters....And we were there around Christmas, when one whole street is filled with people selling nativity scenes....didn't buy, but loved looking.