October 2022- Croatia Cruise

Ja9Clay

We are thinking about an October 2022 Croatia Cruise for our wedding anniversary this year. 

Neither of us have been to Croatia and has been on top of our bucket list for a while. We are pretty independent travelers in our early 40's who love to hike and be outdoor vs museums. Our favorite county in Europe is Switzerland and we are comfortable figuring out public transportation/DIY port days. 

Option A: 8-Night Croatia Intensive Voyage (10/07/2022) Inside: $2479

10/7: Venice (1800) 

10/8: Koper Slovenia (800-2300)

10/9: Zadar (1300-2000)

10/10: Split (800-2200)

10/11:Korcula (800-1800) 

10/12: Dubrovnik (800-2200)

10/13: Kotor (800-1500) 

10/14: At Sea

10/15: Athens (500)

Option B: 7-Night Croatia Intensive Voyage (10/10/2022) Inside $1999

10/10: Venice (1700) 

10/11:Opatija (800-1800)

10/12: Zadar (800-2000) 

10/13: Spilt (800-2100)

10/14: Dubrovnik (800-2200) 

10/15: Hvar (800-1800) 

10/16: Venice (Overnight) 

10/17: Debark (13:00) 

Analysis: 

Cost/Transportation:  

There is a $500 per person price difference but that is not a huge deciding factor. Option B we could do a roundtrip from VIE or a non-stop from ROME and take the train to Venice, with Option A, we would do an open jaw from Venice to Athens (we should be able to a single layover in the EU both directions). Option A would result in 7 PTO days while Option B will result in 6 PTO days. 

Itinerary: 

-Lake Bled and Ljubljana are high up on my list and having until 11:00 PM to get back makes that a possibility for renting a car and seeing both. I had not heard of Opatija befrore. 

-We really want to do Plitvice Lakes or Krka National Parks, with Option B we are in Zadar from 8:00 to 10:00 PM, while on Option A we are only there in the afternoon 1:00 PM to 10:00 PM so I am not sure if we have time. 

-Korcula is only on Option A. It looks like a fun beach day or riding bikes around for a day? Is it worth it? 

-Kator (Option A) vrs Hvar (Option B): Both look like charming towns with good hiking. Anyone have opinion either way? 

-Athens vrs. Venice Overnight: We can do a quick day in Athens and fly out the following day (Sunday) or we can do an overnight in Venice on the back end. One of us has been to Venice before and was not "wowed" by the city. 

Overall thoughts: 

At this point it is a literal toss-up between the two, I am asking if anyone has done an Croatia Trip which one would you do and why? 

Thank you!

The fare is considerably more than either of the two you mention, but this is the itinerary that sold me on doing an Azamara Adriatic-intensive:

11-Night Adriatic Wonders Voyage

Azamara Journey® | Departing: October 6, 2022

Tough decisions. We did a Venice to Athens cruise a few years ago for our 25th wedding anniversary. We very much enjoyed the experience. 

We spent 5-days in Venice and did day trips with a rental car up to Austria and into Parma (our memories were fantastic here (stayed at Marriott Autograph hotel, old French Embassy off the beaten path). In fact, I told my wife that we will probably never go back again so as not to ruin our memories!).

We also rented cars in most of the small countries and enjoyed doing it. We did make it up to Plitvice Lake and it was gorgeous, but crowded. Quite a bit of driving, but was nice to see more of the interior.

We also had the benefit of staying overnight in Athens in another a beautiful hotel (Grande Bretagne)

I don't know what to tell you...I am sure you will enjoy the experience. I think trying to squeeze Rome in may be too much. I plan to do Rome someday. Even though, it is not on your list and probably visited too much, Santorini was very nice. We walked across the island and finished off the trip with grilled sardines & fries...very good.

Have fun!

The first cruise has Koper on 8th October.  Which is when all 4 ships are scheduled to meet up. Apparently there will be an organised event for all guests. This in itself may be a unique event to be part of….or not! 

I personally would do option A also. We did similar trip in Oct 19 staring in Venice on 10th and ending in Athens on 19th . You are heading south to warmer weather as the cruise progresses. Koper, Korcula and Kotor ( the morning sail in, is spectacular) were wonderful as was Dubrovnik.

option B gives you potentially 3 days in Venice, which you say you were not  ‘wowed’ by. 

Edited by combine

Another vote for option A.  I really liked Koper - Lake Bled and area was so pretty and the drive there was scenic.  I enjoyed Kotor if you are brave enough the drive up the mountain gives you great views but is a total nail biter.  With the new rules with ships in Venice you wouldn’t actually be docked in Venice and have to travel to get there daily.  

On 2/22/2022 at 7:44 AM, Skicruiser55 said:

Another vote for option A.  I really liked Koper - Lake Bled and area was so pretty and the drive there was scenic.  I enjoyed Kotor if you are brave enough the drive up the mountain gives you great views but is a total nail biter.  With the new rules with ships in Venice you wouldn’t actually be docked in Venice and have to travel to get there daily.  

That drive is almost 2 hours each way on a coach... awful!!  Thankfully we were warned in advance :  Find others and get a driver, do a tour on your own so much better!  Lake Bled was fabulous, take a REAL CAMERA so worth it!!

Just thought:  hopefully the small drivers are still in business?!?!

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2022 at 2:29 PM, Ja9Clay said:

We are thinking about an October 2022 Croatia Cruise for our wedding anniversary this year. 

Neither of us have been to Croatia and has been on top of our bucket list for a while. We are pretty independent travelers in our early 40's who love to hike and be outdoor vs museums. Our favorite county in Europe is Switzerland and we are comfortable figuring out public transportation/DIY port days. 

Option A: 8-Night Croatia Intensive Voyage (10/07/2022) Inside: $2479

10/7: Venice (1800) 

10/8: Koper Slovenia (800-2300)

10/9: Zadar (1300-2000)

10/10: Split (800-2200)

10/11:Korcula (800-1800

10/12: Dubrovnik (800-2200)

10/13: Kotor (800-1500

10/14: At Sea

10/15: Athens (500)

Option B: 7-Night Croatia Intensive Voyage (10/10/2022) Inside $1999

10/10: Venice (1700) 

10/11:Opatija (800-1800)

10/12: Zadar (800-2000

10/13: Spilt (800-2100)

10/14: Dubrovnik (800-2200

10/15: Hvar (800-1800

10/16: Venice (Overnight) 

10/17: Debark (13:00) 

Analysis: 

Cost/Transportation:  

There is a $500 per person price difference but that is not a huge deciding factor. Option B we could do a roundtrip from VIE or a non-stop from ROME and take the train to Venice, with Option A, we would do an open jaw from Venice to Athens (we should be able to a single layover in the EU both directions). Option A would result in 7 PTO days while Option B will result in 6 PTO days. 

Itinerary: 

-Lake Bled and Ljubljana are high up on my list and having until 11:00 PM to get back makes that a possibility for renting a car and seeing both. I had not heard of Opatija befrore. 

-We really want to do Plitvice Lakes or Krka National Parks, with Option B we are in Zadar from 8:00 to 10:00 PM, while on Option A we are only there in the afternoon 1:00 PM to 10:00 PM so I am not sure if we have time. 

-Korcula is only on Option A. It looks like a fun beach day or riding bikes around for a day? Is it worth it? 

-Kator (Option A) vrs Hvar (Option B): Both look like charming towns with good hiking. Anyone have opinion either way? 

-Athens vrs. Venice Overnight: We can do a quick day in Athens and fly out the following day (Sunday) or we can do an overnight in Venice on the back end. One of us has been to Venice before and was not "wowed" by the city. 

Overall thoughts: 

At this point it is a literal toss-up between the two, I am asking if anyone has done an Croatia Trip which one would you do and why? 

Thank you!

If you love Switzerland I think you will be quite taken with Slovenia. Ljubljana is one of my favorite places ever and I have been fortunate to have traveled extensively. I just saw your original posting date so you may have this sorted out by now!