What is going on with Scenic Cruises

mvjcruise

1 minute ago, notamermaid said:

I was thinking that the Reception desk of the Jade may actually be deserted... I wonder if they only have a maintenance crew on board, seeing that she is in the shipyard? Speculation of course, but a possibility.

I'm sure you're right about that. There would be nothing for the hotel/hospitality staff to do!

What I recall is that the sailing crew and the hospitality/hotel staff are actually from different companies; the sailing crew is subcontracted. There were only 6 sailing crew members iirc - 3 officers and 3 "seamen". The First Captain "belongs" to that particular ship (or vice versa 🙂) year after year, but the hospitality and hotel staff can change each season. The Cruise Director, though, belongs to the specific itinerary you are sailing, and if you have to make a "ship swap" mid-cruise the Cruise Director comes with you but the hotel and sailing staff stay with the ship. 

I would have hoped that it was self evident that trying to contact your selected vessel some time before your embarkation would be a fruitless exercise as they would not be aware of the passenger details at that time. 
Jade would not have hotel staff on board as she was being repaired. 
The contact details for each vessel were put together for those who were having challenges during Scenic’s technical difficulties. Plus unless your like myself and read everything you could very easily miss these small details.

There used to be admittedly a very long cover all Scenic roll call that had some excellent information on its many pages.

• Like 1

The issue with Scenic currently is communication.  I agree that is it likely the Jade, while not sailing due to engine problems or whatever caused Scenic to cancel all of its itineraries until late June, would not have a CD onboard or a hospitality staff.  But it is 2022--emails sent to the ships while they are unmanned could go to a central mailbox where someone would be responsible for sending it to the correct person to respond.  Or Scenic could have such a central mailing address to assist passengers who are past the reservations' stage but not yet onboard.  Other cruise lines have such a communications' channel for passengers--should you need distilled water for a CPAP machine, are celebrating a special occasion, or the other random questions and issues that arise.  Or there could be an "out-of-office" message directing correspondents to such a resource.

The title of this thread is "What is Going on with Scenic Cruises" and the original post was prompted by the hack on the company's IT system.  Sadly, communication does not seem to have improved in parallel with repair to the system.  Hence, being forced to try all methods to try to reach Scenic.

I have read--and posted on--the long "All Scenic River Cruises" Roll Call.  I think many of those of us who are new to Scenic wonder how much the experience of those sailing pre-pandemic will relate to current conditions.  (A reading of the four reviews of the experience on the Jade in April 2022 posted in "Reviews" section of CC.com are the polar opposites of reviews from 2019.  And, yes, I understand individuals on the same cruise can have very different perspectives.)

We are holding onto our booking--and hope--that the actual experience will make us forget all about the anxiety from lack of communication leading to the trip.  In the meantime, as noted in my most-recent post, my goal remains to try to communicate information I learn from my interaction with Scenic to try to help others.  Since Scenic is not communicating with us, we have to communicate what we experience with others.  So, I thank all for their knowledge and perspective.

I agree with you @loriva, in 2022 Scenic could do better than they are doing as regards communication. Again, the onboard experience I am still confident will make up for it but why not have both good communication and great cruise experience? It can be done, no doubt.

notamermaid

• Thanks 1

On 5/18/2022 at 7:42 PM, jimmymac613 said:

We're supposed to be sailing on the Jade for the Romantic Rhine & Moselle Cruise leaving Amsterdam on June 8th and have not received anything yet from Scenic regarding cancellation or any offers of rescheduling or refund.

We are in the same position. Two weeks out from embarkation on Jade in Amsterdam on June 8 and had absolutely no indication that the cruise might be cancelled or switched to another boat. These guys are useless when it comes to communication!!

On 5/18/2022 at 7:42 PM, jimmymac613 said:

We're supposed to be sailing on the Jade for the Romantic Rhine & Moselle Cruise leaving Amsterdam on June 8th and have not received anything yet from Scenic regarding cancellation or any offers of rescheduling or refund.

Have you any update on the status of this cruise?

1 hour ago, CJANDH said:

We are in the same position. Two weeks out from embarkation on Jade in Amsterdam on June 8 and had absolutely no indication that the cruise might be cancelled or switched to another boat. These guys are useless when it comes to communication!!

57 minutes ago, CJANDH said:

Have you any update on the status of this cruise?

The "Romantic Rhine & Moselle" sailing on Jade out of Amsterdam on 08 June is no longer being offered for sale on Scenic's website.  The only sailing of that itinerary from Amsterdam is on 21 September; you can see it here:  https://www.scenicusa.com/tours/romantic-rhine--moselle/11984.  That could simply reflect that the cruise is sold out.  (There are four sailings shown on offer in the reverse direction; they are found here:  https://www.scenicusa.com/tours/romantic-rhine--moselle/11985.)

Only suggestion is to call Scenic or have your TA do so.  Mine reported a couple of hours ago that she finally got through to someone there after calling since last Tuesday.  Others with more experience on Scenic can advise if they believe the ship's CD or hospitality staff would be onboard preparing the ship for guests 15 days prior to sailing or not and whether they believe it is appropriate for you to reach out directly to the ship.

15 hours ago, loriva said:

The "Romantic Rhine & Moselle" sailing on Jade out of Amsterdam on 08 June is no longer being offered for sale on Scenic's website.  The only sailing of that itinerary from Amsterdam is on 21 September; you can see it here:  https://www.scenicusa.com/tours/romantic-rhine--moselle/11984.  That could simply reflect that the cruise is sold out.  (There are four sailings shown on offer in the reverse direction; they are found here:  https://www.scenicusa.com/tours/romantic-rhine--moselle/11985.)

Only suggestion is to call Scenic or have your TA do so.  Mine reported a couple of hours ago that she finally got through to someone there after calling since last Tuesday.  Others with more experience on Scenic can advise if they believe the ship's CD or hospitality staff would be onboard preparing the ship for guests 15 days prior to sailing or not and whether they believe it is appropriate for you to reach out directly to the ship.

If you look at cruise mapper they are showing Jade currently on a 7 day from Amsterdam to Zurich and still scheduled for the June 8 trip.  https://www.cruisemapper.com/ships/Scenic-Jade-1086?tab=itinerary#itinerary  Maybe she is just sold out.

Update on Scenic Jade June 8 sailing. My TA has just received information that Scenic are working on the documents for my cruise and will have them to me by early next week. So it looks like all the rumors about cancellation are just that . . . rumors.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2022 at 6:25 PM, English Tim said:

Nice to see you posting. We are on the June 14 departure from Lyon.

Hi again, getting emails about your 14th July cruise offering deals.  Understand that Raymond Blanc will be onboard.  Mike is furious we will miss him.  However wouldn't have thought he is as famous in Australia or the US.

A quick positive update from us. 

We are on the May 30th Treasures of the Rhine Cruise out of Nuremberg. We received our documents emailed to us on May 17th  and our backpacks were delivered to the house yesterday. 

At the end of April, we did have to call Scenic to confirm a new transfer time at the airport due to a change in our flights. (We self-booked our flights). They were able to confirm the new time and information in one very long phone call. 

We are more used to ocean cruising and getting up to an email a day from the ocean cruise line marketing department, so it has been a little bit light for us but we leave Sunday for our honeymoon and everything is in order. 

We are looking forward to our honeymoon in Germany. (We were supposed to do the Christmas markets last year but that got canceled at the last minute, so we have been married for over six months now). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CJANDH said:

If you look at cruise mapper they are showing Jade currently on a 7 day from Amsterdam to Zurich and still scheduled for the June 8 trip.  https://www.cruisemapper.com/ships/Scenic-Jade-1086?tab=itinerary#itinerary  Maybe she is just sold out.

We can hope!  If so, please let us know how it goes as we're scheduled to board in Basel after you finish your cruise.  

Cruisemapper is incorrect about the current itinerary, however--i.e., it shows old information.  The Scenic Jade has been sitting in Duisburg since it returned from repairs in Cologne about two weeks ago.  Check the "position" tab.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, cruisemapper has tricked me a few times now into believing a ship is sailing. Not sure why they occasionally lag behind with info. Currently both marinetraffic and vesselfinder are more accurate with the Scenic Jade's little trips to test the engine.

notamermaid

41 minutes ago, loriva said:

We can hope!  If so, please let us know how it goes as we're scheduled to board in Basel after you finish your cruise.  

Cruisemapper is incorrect about the current itinerary, however--i.e., it shows old information.  The Scenic Jade has been sitting in Duisburg since it returned from repairs in Cologne about two weeks ago.  Check the "position" tab.

We are supposed to be on the June 8th Romantic Rhine & Moselle cruise on the Jade.  Our TA has also confirmed with Scenic that the cruise will go as scheduled, however, I forgot to ask her to confirm what the ship will be.  If you monitor CruiseMapper it appears that the Pearl is doing the Jade's itinerary and not their own itinerary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, jimmymac613 said:

We are supposed to be on the June 8th Romantic Rhine & Moselle cruise on the Jade.  Our TA has also confirmed with Scenic that the cruise will go as scheduled, however, I forgot to ask her to confirm what the ship will be.  If you monitor CruiseMapper it appears that the Pearl is doing the Jade's itinerary and not their own itinerary.

Scenic's website shows the Pearl doing a 12-day "Rhine Highlights with Switzerland" itinerary departing out of Amsterdam on 15 June.  (It's really a 7-day Amsterdam-Basel, followed by a land package to Switzerland.  The Pearl turns around in Basel on the 22nd and heads down the Rhine to Amsterdam on what looks like the "Romantic Rhine & Moselle" itinerary.)   So not sure the Pearl will be available to sail the Jade's itineraries on the dates scheduled (if needed).

Hoping that the Jade is all fixed and you are correct--you will be sailing it starting the 8th of June in Amsterdam.  I trust you'll keep it nice for us to board in Basel on the 22nd!

2 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Currently both marinetraffic and vesselfinder are more accurate with the Scenic Jade's little trips to test the engine.

You are right. Both sites show Jade going in and out of Duisburg over the last two weeks. This again raises the issue of whether she will be back cruising on June 8? Based on the call with my TA, it seems the cruise is a go. But which ship?

15 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

Hi again, getting emails about your 14th July cruise offering deals.  Understand that Raymond Blanc will be onboard.  Mike is furious we will miss him.  However wouldn't have thought he is as famous in Australia or the US.

Will also be missing him, as our cruise is on June 14 not July 14!

56 minutes ago, English Tim said:

Will also be missing him, as our cruise is on June 14 not July 14!

Sorry, senior moment !  Not long now.  Look forward to a review.  We have done 2 previous Scenic's.  One on the Rhine which involved changing boats midway due to low water levels.  Some things were good and others a bit rubbish.  We tried again and had a splendid cruise from Bordeaux.  So far the back office seems poor.  We still have no idea of our train times - but hopefully once onboard all will improve.  

From Cruisemapper, it looks like the Pearl is sailing the "Romantic Rhine and Moselle" itinerary that the Jade was set to sail based on the old schedule.  The Pearl is currently docked in Breisach, which is the first port of call on that itinerary.  That schedule would put it in Amsterdam on 08 June.  Its next sailing, according to Scenic's website, is not until 15 June on a "Rhine Highlights" Amsterdam to Basel itinerary.

We're watching the Pearl's progress down the Rhine (and the Moselle) to get a sense of where the ship is docking.  We realize we literally have to go with the flow on river cruises, but nice to know if the ship is docking close enough to town to be able to walk around on our own or if we need to figure out transportation.  (We also watched its progress from Amsterdam to Basel, but understand docking locations are different depending on the direction of travel.) 

In Basel, the Pearl docked at the pier farthest from town-- 3 Dreiländereck, Westquaistrasse 61, 4057 Basel Steiger.  Basel is reportedly a homeport for Scenic, so wondering if that means that is its usual docking pier.  That pier is close to the Swiss border with France and Germany.  Others on CC.com have reported one needs to take tram #8 for about 40 minutes into the city center from this pier.  You can see the railroad lines paralleling this pier on Google maps.  (You can see the Dreiländer Bridge stop on the number 8 line here:  https://www.bvb.ch/en/fahrplan/liniennetz/.)  From the Basel public transportation website, it appears there should be a machine from which you can buy tickets at stops.  Tickets are sold as singles, multi-use, or a day pass.  There is also an app, but it appears to be only in German.  Not sure if Scenic offers shuttles into town when they are docked farther out.  Hope someone on board will chime in with information.

Many thanks,

Edited by loriva
Added itinerary information.

8 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Sparrowhood if you booked including your flights through Scenic they will arrange all transfers. If you organised your own flights they will at least arrange a taxi transfer for you but at your own cost.

I think he might be referring to help getting a covid test to fly back to the USA. I have the same question.

On 5/25/2022 at 11:35 AM, Mrs Miggins said:

We are on the 21 to 28 July, Nice to Lyon cruise  Chef Lynn Crawford from Canada plus Tommy Smythe, a decorator and architectural historian that will give some tour insights on board.