Excursion Backpack - what to bring

kirbyangus

(If you have a link for this I'd love to have it. I know redundant questions get annoying.) What do people normally take on an excursion? Are there staples that need to be brought that you need for everything, like sunscreen? And when people say layers, what does that mean? For example, stepping off the ship? Do you start light and then add layers if you need them, or do you start warm and remove as you need to? It may seem like silly questions, but for some reason I'm really hung up on this!

It depends on what you are doing on the excursion and when you are going to Alaska on what you might need to bring. But I have this pack that I have carried on every excursion / trip since our first cruise in 1990. It has several items that I have always carried; small first aid kit, wash cloth that is wet in a zip lock bag, dry camping towel, hand sanitizer, small flash light, bottle of water and rain cover for camera. This is all in one of the outside pockets. I have since COVID added sanitize wipes for seats, etc. extra mask. Then depending on the tour it might have; extra lens for camera, water proof dry bag ( in Alaska it rains and many tours involve being on the water and most packs are water resistant which means the contents inside will be dry for 5 minutes then they are toast), rain pants, etc. that might be need for the activity/ tour we are doing. But starting out is as empty as I can get it. 

As to the layers, we always start of with everything on, since most of our tours we get an early start for them (ie first off the ship), then as the day progresses remove layers and put them in the pack. Always wear or have a WATER PROOF jacket not I repeat not water resistant. It rains in Alaska you will be in the rain at some time, a water resistant anything will keep you dry for a few minutes / seconds. My wife learned the hard way she had a jacket that was water resistant got soaked the first day and she was wet to her skin, got sick, and the jacket never dried out until we were home. That first day she bought a water proof jacket in one of the stores in port before we went back to the ship. Under the water proof layer a fleece vest / jacket ( you could stuff the water proof jacket in the pack I have a Columbia one that folds up into a small little square pouch) heavy shirt, then tee shirt. You may need a heavier coat if going early or late in the season or if glacier viewing / hiking any time ( it is a big block of ice wind blowing equal very cold even in July).  On the lower half; pants, long underwear (wife wore leggings under jeans) water proof rain pants ( remember it rains but also good for raft and some other small boat tours) these pants sometimes started in the pack if it was not raining when we got off the ship. As the day progresses the layers come off and go into the pack. If things are purchased and over flow is needed I have the dry bag to use for that. 

Hope this helps answer your questions. 

Edited by KYBOB
  • Like 2

If you are planning to use a camera that will not fit into your pocket and your camera is not water resistant, I strongly recommend adding a poncho to your backpack.  This will provide a way to keep your camera dry between quick photographs while it is raining.  Include a lint -free cloth  to dry your camera lens.

Add a few granola bars for snacks while on longer excursions.

• Like 1

Basics that I would have on me:

Camera, waterproof camera cover, rain jacket (waterproof as covered above), backpack rain cover, bottle of water, power bars/granola bars, one or two bandaids/moleskin for potential blisters, warm hat/gloves, mask/hand sanitizer, if prone to motion sickness and on excursions where that might be an issue, add some ginger pills/meds/seabandz/emesis bags.  If on an excursion where it might get a bit cold I might also have some hand warmers  as well.  Then the usual sunglasses, wallet, phone.  Sunscreen/mosquito repellent dependent on excursion.  

• Like 1

We're cruising end of May so it will still be chilly.  DH will likely have a camera backpack (for a DSLR camera) and I will take one for our other stuff.  I don't worry about first aid or medicine stuff.  We'll pack our rain jackets it the backpack.  2 of our excursions are out on boats so probably winter hats and gloves. Hopefully we won't need the winter gear or rain jackets but better to be prepared.  For our regular clothes we'll likely have on a t-shirt, a pull over fleece than a jacket (possibly a lighter winter coat).  So during the day, as temps start to warm up, the coats may go into the backpack.  We have Eddie Bauer puffer style that could stuff into the chest pocket and go down to the size a little smaller than a football. 

When you are looking for a backpack a rain fly for the backpack will be nice.  Eddie Bauer and Osprey have some styles with the rainfly included.  If you get an Osprey pack and it doesn't have the rainfly you could but ones from Osprey.  Also on Amazon you could buy universal ones, but not sure how that quality would be.  

Also, if you plan to take snacks with you on the hiking trails, make sure they are sealed up in a ziplock in your backpack. Seal the empty packaging back up in the ziplock when finished. Bears like snacks.

Everyone has pretty much covered what I would take but I want to second the snacks in a ziplock bag in your backpack.  Not only will it help keep your goodies dry but it will also keep the bears at bay.  You don't want to attract wildlife to you that way.  

Well, first I look at the weather report for the day, and match that with what I am doing for the day.  Than I dress myself, in the clothes that matches the weather report.  If I get too hot, take the jacket off or open it.  The variance in temperature during day light hours is really that much.  I also have a light rain resistant jacket and a small fold up umbrella.  Pretty much it....I don't carry stuff I don't need. Most of the time, I don't even bring a back pack.....see no need.  Umbrella fits in pocket.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2022 at 1:57 AM, nicoleinwi said:

We're cruising end of May so it will still be chilly.  DH will likely have a camera backpack (for a DSLR camera) and I will take one for our other stuff.  I don't worry about first aid or medicine stuff.  We'll pack our rain jackets it the backpack.  2 of our excursions are out on boats so probably winter hats and gloves. Hopefully we won't need the winter gear or rain jackets but better to be prepared.  For our regular clothes we'll likely have on a t-shirt, a pull over fleece than a jacket (possibly a lighter winter coat).  So during the day, as temps start to warm up, the coats may go into the backpack.  We have Eddie Bauer puffer style that could stuff into the chest pocket and go down to the size a little smaller than a football. 

When you are looking for a backpack a rain fly for the backpack will be nice.  Eddie Bauer and Osprey have some styles with the rainfly included.  If you get an Osprey pack and it doesn't have the rainfly you could but ones from Osprey.  Also on Amazon you could buy universal ones, but not sure how that quality would be.  

I got one of the osprey backpack covers that I use on a north face backpack very regularly, I live in Ireland so I can testify to it’s waterproofing capability. It is adjustable so it fits from daypack size up to 35ltr. 

if you suffer badly from the cold and are willing to bring something seriously bulky I can also recommend something from the surfing world, the biggest brand is dry-robe but there’s also Rip Curl storm ponchos, they’re an over-sized waterproof coat with a fleece lining. I use one at rugby games and am seriously consider bringing it on my Alaska cruise but I would definitely have to wear it on the flights as it would fill a suitcase all on its own. There are numerous brands out there but I wouldn’t be sure of the waterproofing on the cheaper knock-offs, so check reviews if you decide to invest in one.