Is Luminae over-rated or under-rated?

mfs2k

1 hour ago, Cookie002 said:

Hi there . I wanted to put my two cents in regarding Luminae and celebrity, and Oceania.

We just finished an amazing cruise on the Beyond, and did the retreat level on a sky suite at the aft of the ship.

Luminae was gorgeous, tons of window seats, and the service the times we were in there (only three times on a nine day cruise) was amazing! Loved that. Food however was not amazing. It was good. But we only ate there three times, so, you know, did we give it a fair shake? Maybe not.

Why did we only eat there three times? Because the meals we had elsewhere were fan freaking tastic! And we decided to explore many venues to really get an idea of the offerings of this ship. And I will tell you, in my opinion, do not book retreat level on the Beyond for the food. There are many reasons to book retreat, but food and good pool lounger locations/social gathering areas are NOT a reason.

Raw on five was amazing! The ocean view cafe was fabulous, along with service. The spa cafe bites located in the solarium was wonderful. The Cyprus main dining room with the Greek specialty dishes was amazing. Blu was fantastic. But the very best was Eden. OMG, some of the best food I have had, land or sea. The only bad meal we had was at fine cut, but that was mostly because of service (and less then Keg quality ribeye)

This was my first time sailing celebrity. I have sailed oceania before, and we have an oceania booked  for fall of 2023. But I am going to tell you, celebrity food on the beyond across the board, whether in the cafe, or specialty restaurant, or small venue, beats oceania HANDS DOWN. The food is perfectly cooked, the menus and dishes are varied, and the quality is amazing. If we could find a comparable itinerary in sept 2023 on celebrity, I would be changing cruises. 

we have booked the Panama cruise in 2024 on the beyond. 

There are a number of other Guests fond of Retreat who have noticed that X has stepped up its Game on food esp in the Edge Class.

Many have also notices Lumane has not changed much-but the prices on Beyon Suite class have increased in a far more % than prices in onther classes. In my case, up 32% since December.

It is time X step up the game at Luminae. Le Voyage is what Luminae shoud be.

4 minutes ago, HMR74 said:

There are a number of other Guests fond of Retreat who have noticed that X has stepped up its Game on food esp in the Edge Class.

Many have also notices Lumane has not changed much-but the prices on Beyon Suite class have increased in a far more % than prices in onther classes. In my case, up 32% since December.

It is time X step up the game at Luminae. Le Voyage is what Luminae shoud be.

Our prices on the Apex Sky Suite for next year is about the same as when we booked last fall. Our Edge Sky suites for 2024 did drop under the current 60% off BOGO sale and we rebooked to save about $800. The Edge and Apex had much higher prices for suites compared to S class ships the first year or two they sailed and now they are inline with S and M class costs. I suspect the Beyond pricing will drop for 2023 and beyond after the new Ascent joins the fleet next year. There is always a huge demand for a brand new ship so that demand can dictate the higher pricing. I remember the first year the Edge sailed in 2018, Aqua cabins cost more than Sky Suites on similar sailings on the older ships.

5 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Our prices on the Apex Sky Suite for next year is about the same as when we booked last fall. Our Edge Sky suites for 2024 did drop under the current 60% off BOGO sale and we rebooked to save about $800. The Edge and Apex had much higher prices for suites compared to S class ships the first year or two they sailed and now they are inline with S and M class costs. I suspect the Beyond pricing will drop for 2023 and beyond after the new Ascent joins the fleet next year. There is always a huge demand for a brand new ship so that demand can dictate the higher pricing. I remember the first year the Edge sailed in 2018, Aqua cabins cost more than Sky Suites on similar sailings on the older ships.

I understand and there is a supply demand issue which drives prices.my 2023 cruises were driven by Itenerary and Beyond had the best for us. eg Reflection is just doing western Med and basically back and forth between Barcelona to Rome.

And also from what I hear from others, whenever X offers a new great sale, the top prices goes up by a couple hundred more than the discounts and deals. And if we booked before 2022, with higher costs for fuell and food and higher inertnet charges  and new higher drink packages, somewhere it alll has to shake out.

My point is there are increased costs, and with the E  class MDR and from what I hear about the Oceanview Cafe being better, Luminae is not as special as before (except the location) .

X needs a bit of a make over of Lumanae menus, (keep the burger please but even then the burgers have improved on ships "complimentary" venues" ). Remember on S class the main differentiation of Suite class was  Luminae and the MDR was no big deal like the 4 are now. Perhaps if X is saying its Premium big ship strategy is complete, it has to compare or exceed The Oceanic and Regent  in Suite class. Or discount the specialty restaurant for Retreat Guests.

Ok, weird perspective of mine, but here goes…

if dining across the board on the beyond is excellent, no matter what venue, then as long as Luminae matches the experience (alas it maybe did not in my limited experience) but if it matches it, then why care? You have a veritable smorgasbord of unique dining opportunities on the ship. Why just stick with the one?

The retreat class has certainly other reasons other than dining that make it lovely. The concierge staff, the extra pool area, the lovely bar, the wonderful snacks and service in the lounge, the beautifully designed and ample cabins, the room service, the retreat host, the priority when tendering…

I think I would be bored returning to the same restaurant every night. I loved the variety of places to eat on the ship. But maybe I am just weird like that.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Cookie002 said:

Ok, weird perspective of mine, but here goes…

if dining across the board on the beyond is excellent, no matter what venue, then as long as Luminae matches the experience (alas it maybe did not in my limited experience) but if it matches it, then why care? You have a veritable smorgasbord of unique dining opportunities on the ship. Why just stick with the one?

The retreat class has certainly other reasons other than dining that make it lovely. The concierge staff, the extra pool area, the lovely bar, the wonderful snacks and service in the lounge, the beautifully designed and ample cabins, the room service, the retreat host, the priority when tendering…

I think I would be bored returning to the same restaurant every night. I loved the variety of places to eat on the ship. But maybe I am just weird like that.

If being logical, reasonable and open minded is weird, wear the crown proudly!

• Haha 1

On 6/11/2022 at 8:30 AM, Gracie115 said:

We've never been "assigned" to a specific table in Luminae, and in fact have moved around the room depending on what was available when we arrived.  The only time we found it noisy at all was when there was a large group on the back side of the room who were very rowdy.  Other than that it has always been a wonderful experience.  We haven't bothered with any specialty restaurants for our last cople of X cruises because Luminae was so good.  They were pre Covid...   I sure hope we don't experience what you are describing on the Apex in October. 

On 6/11/2022 at 4:16 PM, C-Dragons said:

We don’t understand the fascination with those tables with a view and after our first Edge cruise have always declined the offer to sit there. Hopefully we’ve made a few people happy. 😉
How early do you have to arrive to get a good table? That depends on how early you want to eat. 😁

We are on the Apex in Luminae with some friends in October as well. I really really hope it will be better, honestly couldn’t be much worse. We ate in Luminae 4 nights on that trip, once we had dined with a friend, a solo traveler we met onboard and were seated in the little front area by the maitre d stand - that night was fine. The other meals were at one of two tables roughly in the center of the restaurant. I cannot overestimate how noisy it was. DH thinks that the wall between the dining and service area doesn’t quite go all the way up to the ceiling, and that is one reason it was so noisy. They were understaffed, overbooked and exhausted from working for the previous 8 months, many people had not been ashore during that time. 
We have been in suites on Reflection and Equinox, it was nothing like this experience. And the main dining room was quite pleasant on Edge. I know the food is a bit better in Luminae, but not enough of a leap with the 4 MDRs and taking some of the savings to spend in specialty restaurants.

The Retreat on Edge, though was excellent, totally enjoyed space and service.

I m not obsessed with the view or a window table, but it would have been nice to have had one dinner with something to look at other than the back of someone’s head seated at the coveted window table and the door opening into the service corridor!

here is another idea for X-Luminae becomes just one more specialty choice for the ship but Retreat  Sky suite guests have choice of the specialty and Luminae with no upcharge with a way of garanteeing Retreat guests a table among those places. The prices are high and if X does not get its act together , is the upcharge really worth the Retreat Club, private deck and butler.

I stil think they have to make Luminae on par with the premium small ships and I believe few now think thats happening, Perhaps it was not now and it cannot be blamed on restartng  otherise the 4 MDRS and specialty dining would not be as good as they are.

Its one thing to go to specialty dining just to break a routine, its different if its far enough below expectations that you feel  it. And then after paying a nice upcharge for Retreat/Luminae, you have to pay $55 a person plus grats to go elsewhere. Thats another $132 just for dinner to get the quality and or service or ambiance you want and thought you paid for, That exclusively for Retreat guest losses its meaning.

eg, I have been pretty happy in Aqua for several thousand less PP.

• Like 1

We were on the final US Western Caribbean cruise on Edge in April in a Suite / The Retreat.  Bottom line we very much enjoyed and appreciated "Luminae," and especially Maitre'D Martin (this guy is good) and the servers (Lorenzo, usually, in our case).  It worked well for us - even with the downsides mentioned below.  We never waited more than five minutes for a table, and all the food was as promoted. 

Price for the trip overall seemed reasonable compared to any on-land options at resorts and nice hotels.  But, Lumiane / Retreat is definitely not necessary to enjoy the ship or eat well.  Haven't read or heard of enough or any all negative non-Retreat food or service  experiences to be concerned about FOMO.  Rather, its perhaps the opposite.  We certainly could have had more variety and newness each day if we weren't in Retreat and using Luminae, or it was the same food.  

We were first time, relatively young cruisers with a toddler wanting a higher end, effortless, covid tested bubble vacation, and found it.  We especially appreciated that the staff treated all three of us the same, and that our younger well behaved cruiser was able to have a full restaurant experience (especially after 2 years of bypassing many dining rooms due to the pandemic)*.  Luminae was an important part of our overall satisfaction, but there is room for an improvement (and a need for flexibility) as part of the Retreat experience.

*We didn't get that vibe from watching Youtube videos of Norwegian's Haven experience.  And, overall, we really took to the Celebrity approach that the entire ship is higher end, and that Retreat is merely a supplement if you want to make it that.  In contrast, our impression is Norwegian is RC with a nicer suite area, albeit a caste system like rules.  We would have enjoyed a decent beach experience, as compared to whatever one would call the seaside of Mexico or the inconvenience Nassau excursions.

With Luminae what you get is a well run dining room with accountability (Martin, on Edge), some apparent access to a lot of what others have on the ship (if you want something else, please people, just ask, they will try and did for us - appreciate those that have written about that on other threads), some built in memory (but doesn't every restaurant and cruise ship dining room with a computer profile on you do that?), plus the Luminae menu.  

The downsides are the dining room is far too loud, and not sure how that makes the environment any different from other ship dining rooms.  The Bistro area was actually quieter when we dined there, and it was quieter during a zip through the OVC at 6 pm on our final night.  There needs to be some sound dampening put in.  The noise isn't ambience or part of the gimmick.  It is a design flaw, and we agree the partially open wall to the banquet like bussing and prep area makes zero sense.  That area also makes it seem like a food factory and not a restaurant.

As for the food, we enjoyed our meals.  But, we do think there needs to be some more flexibility and products that one would expect for the dining room that caters to the premium customer.  Said differently, it compares favorably to a good hotel restaurant, but at a local restaurant in your home area is likely able to have an easier time producing a hamburger instead of a cheeseburger (we went through 4-5 on the Retreat deck before they got our order correct), substitutes, and sourcing higher end products like a solid bagel or english muffin that superior to what's in the OVC or wherever else the same menu items are served.  We also would have liked to see some of the Blu menu items.  Many of the food items everywhere seemed to be the same, including OVC.  (Didn't see a different french fry than one at the Mast Grill the entire time, including the Retreat Burger with Truffle Oil mist.). 

Also considering the entire ship is all inclusive, the Luminae food didn't seem to be customizable, and some of the dishes may be pre-made.  That's likely the case for everything on the ship, however.  There's a greater opportunity, however, to ask for off menu items (unclear if one could change the specs). 

In our view, Luminae probably should not be the chef's table or the faux Michelin experience that's on Beyond.  The funny money OBC  (which helps Celebrity give guests choice, and control demand) can be used to access those experiences.   Rather, we'd like to see Luminae  make most of the other dining experiences moot by being as good or better (and that is our impression) and give users the personalized experience that comes from the same place over and over again, plus some higher end ingredients (if possible and it makes sense, e.g., would have liked to see a better English muffin, the higher end bacon, a better cooked to order burger, entree, a better apple pie desert (the limp pie was everywhere) etc.).

As a baseline, a lot of the dining and service throughout the ship seemed to be evenly good, and a lot of the uniqueness of any dining experience seemed to be an illusion both in terms of service, product, and even cost if one considers the OBC a way to just give faux choice and control demand and create some FOMO.  It's not like there's much to use the OBC on if one is in Retreat and already getting premium drinks.  It's monopoly money (that you're paying for).  Staff everywhere are friendly and want to be accomodating, and foodwise a lot of the food product seemed to be same.  For example, a filet is the easiest steak for a banquet hall to produce, adding sauce is a cover, and we really didn't see grilled to order steaks that looked as good as a steakhouse anywhere on the ship or Youtube. 

Couple general observations that while only partially Luminae related bears mentioning because they detract from the overall experience and relate to food.

1.   The integration between the Luminae kitchen, Retreat Deck, Retreat Lounge and suites needs to improve. Excuses don't cut it.  Regardless, the level of quality and options should be the same, and that goes for the ship too.  

2.     On the Retreat deck they need to serve food directly to guests wherever they may be located and not just at the crowded/small bar area. 

3.      We had a comical experience with the staff telling us that we had to be pick up our food at the bar and bring it to our loungers (the only available spot) ourselves, and even came to our location to tell us our food was the bar.  But, they refused to carry the food to our seats.  We also ended up with at least 5 burgers because the order kept arriving wrong.  Cooking a hamburger with nothing on it shouldn't result in multiple undercooked cheeseburgers with various wet toppings.  Plus to avoid a brioche bun, it would have been nice if anyone of the over 1,000 crew to the ~1650 passengers could have ventured to the Mast Grill for a regular bun vs the ordering passenger.  And, while the fries are good (and we appreciate the sunflower oil ingredient as opposed to soybean oil), they were not unique compared to the Mast Grill or OVC.  They were a good frozen mass produced fry.  The upside was seemingly the entire kitchen came out to apologize and express regrets when after we had to escalate the order.  (BTW, no amount of retreat butlers, bartenders, concierges, lounges (with no snacks), etc matter when you'd like to eat lunch before the artificial ordering cut-off time and they keep getting the order wrong).  

4.       The Retreat Lounge food timing is abysmal.  There were no snacks available most of the day, and it was neither a substitute for venturing elsewhere or BYO snack from home.  Airport lounges do better.

5.        At lunch at Luminae the sommelier solicited us as we were about to take our first bites of lunch for a wine opening device / cork screw like we were walking through the "As Seen on TV" section of an AutoShow.  The experience was surreal.  Does Celebrity spif the sommeliers for selling wine accessories?  Does RCL and Celebrity think the average Luminae diner doesn't already have whatever wine gadgets they may need and actually think they'd buy them before biting into lunch?   It was a ***** moment, and a day after the burger clown car situation described above.

6.        What's with the upcharges for gelato, and indistinguible quality level between the ice creams on the ship?  It all seemed to be made from the blue carton multimix used at the bars and for the softserve machine.  They gladly gave us a chocolate bunny on Easter, and any alcohol we could consume, but not a scoop of whatever they claimed was gelato?  And, $55 for BBQ in the wind, on top of thousands of dollars for a cruise, is nuts. 

7.        From what we can tell, Celebrity needs the Princess band so there is more flexibility to obtain what you want when you want it.  A lot of the staff and desks are redundant to the app, but at the same time the delivery system for food and other services is far too dependent on where one is physically located.  See the burger experience above.  

8.       Retreat prices seem to be about space and possibly reverse FOMO.  If you want a room with any floor space the Retreat class is the only way to get that.  Same for a room with a wall between the bedroom and sitting area.   Everything else is marginally an improvement over the rest of the ship.  For example, Luminae is nice, but can you get by with eating OVC and the restaurants - yes.  It won't be quieter in Luminae. Is the Butler a nice touch, sure.  It adds a personalization level and troubleshooter to your team, and frees you up from having to coordinate things at Guest Relations or other desks and being beholden to your voicemail.  Gordon and others also helped facilitate a special activity for our junior cruiser.  But, the room service quality is no better, and so on.  

9.      Our junior cruiser loved Luminae because of the staff and familiarity.  We expected the food to be good.

10.      Decor at Luminae.  We like the ship and decor overall.  IT was a selling point.  But, the Luminae dining room looks like an extension of the hallway decor down to the carpet and wall pictures.  Something needs to be done to make it a bit more distinguishable from the stairwell.

Whether the value proposition for the Retreat makes sense for someone is a bit difficult to figure out, but if price is not an issue the quasi personalized, convenient, experience worked very well for us.  Luminae is an essential part of the total experience, but so would have eating at Blu every meal.  And, there are some systemic issues that Celebrity should address to get the full benefit of the effort being put in and the overall approach to their product, especially Retreat.  Yet, it shouldn't become a locked down and off putting experience like what Norwegian is promoting in its PR and some of its rules (and overly univiting decor).

Edited by Cap_D
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, cangelmd said:

We are on the Apex in Luminae with some friends in October as well. I really really hope it will be better, honestly couldn’t be much worse. We ate in Luminae 4 nights on that trip, once we had dined with a friend, a solo traveler we met onboard and were seated in the little front area by the maitre d stand - that night was fine. The other meals were at one of two tables roughly in the center of the restaurant. I cannot overestimate how noisy it was. DH thinks that the wall between the dining and service area doesn’t quite go all the way up to the ceiling, and that is one reason it was so noisy. They were understaffed, overbooked and exhausted from working for the previous 8 months, many people had not been ashore during that time. 
We have been in suites on Reflection and Equinox, it was nothing like this experience. And the main dining room was quite pleasant on Edge. I know the food is a bit better in Luminae, but not enough of a leap with the 4 MDRs and taking some of the savings to spend in specialty restaurants.

The Retreat on Edge, though was excellent, totally enjoyed space and service.

I m not obsessed with the view or a window table, but it would have been nice to have had one dinner with something to look at other than the back of someone’s head seated at the coveted window table and the door opening into the service corridor!

I certainly hope Luminae on Apex is not noisy, one of the great things about it on the S class ships is the quiet in the room.  It sounds like you've had a bad experience on both Equinox and Edge.  Is that right?

1 hour ago, Gracie115 said:

I certainly hope Luminae on Apex is not noisy, one of the great things about it on the S class ships is the quiet in the room.  It sounds like you've had a bad experience on both Equinox and Edge.  Is that right?

No, no this is purely an Edge thing. Luminae on Equinox and Reflection would occasionally get busy and lively, but nothing like this.

DH and I thought it was a combo of factors, the layout and design of the space, the number of suites and the fact that they were completely full when the rest of the ship was a ghost town, and the status of the crew (they were overwhelmed and I think there was a pretty big Covid outbreak going on).

it would get noisy and people would just talk louder and louder to be heard over the cacophony.

We truly aren’t complainers, we tend to be more of cheerleaders, but it changed how I booked my next cruises. I hate it too, because the Retreat Lounge and sundeck are awesome spaces. I heard Luminae on Edge was loud, but I thought people were just over sensitive.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cangelmd said:

it would have been nice to have had one dinner with something to look at other than the back of someone’s head seated at the coveted window table and the door opening into the service corridor!

If I were this unhappy and this were my takeaway, on the second night I would have asked the Maitre D’ “What time should I return to be seated at that window table?”’ Then I’d go have a cocktail and return later for dinner. 

Clearly this seating situation is what you’ll remember and that’s awful. 

8 hours ago, HMR74 said:

is the upcharge really worth the Retreat Club, private deck and butler.

When you pay the suite upcharge you’re paying for more real estate ( bigger cabin). All the things you mention are thrown into the pot to make it seem you’re special. 

50 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

When you pay the suite upcharge you’re paying for more real estate ( bigger cabin). All the things you mention are thrown into the pot to make it seem you’re special. 

Its not special, its the perceived value.

bigger cabin,  bigger bathroom where two can get ready at same time. too bad thats not offered ala carte. 

the real balcony vs IV. 

room service is nicer. Early disembarcation nice at each port.

private lounge. 

if luminae not up to snuff it devalues it all.
Part of problem there is they upscaled mdr but increased retreat price moreso % wise.and the smaller 4 mdrs give and enhanced better intimacy feeling while adding suites and increasing size of Luminae takes away the Luminae feeling.

X should take this as constructive criticism.

I read an article a couple of years ago that validated that suites are highest margins on board all cruise lines. There is a breaking point somewhere.

Hmmmm, a comment

some of the issues I see stated by some great posts above are not a problem on the beyond. Celebrity took care of it.

The location of Luminae is in the heart of the retreat area.

The size and gorgeousness of Luminae is impressive- tons of window seats, tables amply spaced apart, noise levels more than acceptable.

The lounge had AMAZING offerings all day long. A couple of times we made it our lunch destination because we were eating at weird times (after 2 pm because of the spa and the like) They also had lovely pre dinner options. It was our breakfast stop too. Loved the lounge offerings, loved the gorgeous seating and views in the lounge, and loved the lounge staff!

I will absolutely agree that Luminae is NOT the reason, or even the main reason for booking retreat. And with the phenomenal public pool and solarium with the multitude of amazing seating and atmosphere across the ship, either shaded or in the sun, well the retreat private pool are is not the main reason either. Both are nice bonuses. 

For me, it was about the cabin, and the service, and the lounge. That made it worth it to me. 
JMHO

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HMR74 said:

Its not special, its the perceived value.

bigger cabin,  bigger bathroom where two can get ready at same time. too bad thats not offered ala carte. 

the real balcony vs IV. 

room service is nicer. Early disembarcation nice at each port.

private lounge. 

Part of problem there is they upscaled mdr but increased retreat price moreso % wise.and the smaller 4 mdrs give and enhanced better intimacy feeling while adding suites and increasing size of Luminae takes away the Luminae feeling.

X should take this as constructive criticism.

I read an article a couple of years ago that validated that suites are highest margins on board all cruise lines. There is a breaking point somewhere.

Exactly!!!  And we all know that Retreat/Luminae weigh very heavily in their advertising.  Sure seems that MANY are not getting the advertised and paid for service that Celebrity sold them.

4 minutes ago, HMR74 said:

I've read a lot of posts in the prior 17 pages from guests who love Luminae, but clearly the current experience is not for everyone. 

Responses to this post have validated my reasons for booking a suite on Beyond in this order:  

1. Cabin square footage and cabin amenities (bathroom, balcony)
  2. Retreat Deck
  3. Luminae
  4. Priority treatment
  5. Host/Butler
  6. Retreat Lounge
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Cookie002 said:

For me, it was about the cabin, and the service, and the lounge. That made it worth it to me. 

On the Equinox last August, the above also is what sold us for booking the Retreat on Celebrity for all future cruises. The food and Service in the Luminae on that cruise was exemplary and a huge plus to book suites. We did a dinner at both Murano and Tuscan Grill and while the food was awesome, we did not feel the service was as good as Luminae so for future cruises we will limit our specialty restaurant bookings. In the Luminae we were treated by all the staff like they appreciated our business and made us feel special, we just didn't get that same feeling at the SR. We will be on our first E Class ships in 2023, Apex, and 2024 Edge, so we hope the Luminae will be as good as the Equinox. After the Equinox cruise we came home and canceled 2 booked Oceania cruises and saved a bundle.

Edited by terrydtx

1 minute ago, terrydtx said:

On the Equinox last August, the above also is what sold us for booking the Retreat on Celebrity for all future cruises. The food and Service in the Retreat on that cruise was exemplary and a huge plus to book suites. We did a dinner at both Murano and Tuscan Grill and while the food was awesome, we did not feel the service was a good as Luminae so for future cruises we will limit our specialty restaurant bookings. In the Luminae we were treated by all the staff like they appreciated our business and made us feel special, we just didn't get that same feeling at the SR. We will be on our first E Class ships in 2023, Apex, and 2024 Edge, so we hope the Luminae will be as good as the Equinox.

Hope you love it!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

I've read a lot of posts in the prior 17 pages from guests who love Luminae, but clearly the current experience is not for everyone. 

Responses to this post have validated my reasons for booking a suite on Beyond in this order:  

1. Cabin square footage and cabin amenities (bathroom, balcony)
  2. Retreat Deck
  3. Luminae
  4. Priority treatment
  5. Host/Butler
  6. Retreat Lounge

And all I am saying is since X upped its game on food for MDR and OVC , it needs to up its game on Luminae if it really wants to compete with smaller premium lines.

The CEO did say last year it would, with beyond target the large ship premium.

for the most part it has done that but the memo on improving Luminae was apparently not sent out. The now disproportionate higher pricing in retreat, not affecting me as i booked before prices went really nuts, is a problem. 

thats the disappointment. Again, being in a suite and going to a specialty venue should be just for chance of pace, not because you are disappointed in Luminae.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cangelmd said:

No, no this is purely an Edge thing. Luminae on Equinox and Reflection would occasionally get busy and lively, but nothing like this.

DH and I thought it was a combo of factors, the layout and design of the space, the number of suites and the fact that they were completely full when the rest of the ship was a ghost town, and the status of the crew (they were overwhelmed and I think there was a pretty big Covid outbreak going on).

it would get noisy and people would just talk louder and louder to be heard over the cacophony.

We truly aren’t complainers, we tend to be more of cheerleaders, but it changed how I booked my next cruises. I hate it too, because the Retreat Lounge and sundeck are awesome spaces. I heard Luminae on Edge was loud, but I thought people were just over sensitive.

Thanks for clarifying, I know you aren't a complainer on these boards that's why I asked for more info.  It will be very disappointing if we find Luminae on the Apex the same that you experienced on Edge.  Fingers crossed they will have enough staff and Covid will not still be making so many of the staff sick.  

by the way, to some degree the "mystic" of a Chef  Boland inspired menu at Luminae has been depreciated in favor of Le Voyage. Many here have expressed disappointment with the preparation of the Chefs recipies (eg overcooked chicken)

I think more that its a limited menu that is part of the problem and as I have stated the other venues esp MDR have caught  up with Lumunae, which is why I point out that X has to step up its game at Luminae, whic until Le Voyage was supossed to be the top restaurant on board.

The new location on top with the windows is a nice plus.

It is also a matter of expectations. If your expectations are low you will not be disappointed.

by the way, I have been told in S class MDR that burgers on board are intended to be well done, not pink.

Edited by HMR74

6 minutes ago, HMR74 said:

Many here have expressed disappointment with the preparation of the Chefs recipies (eg overcooked chicken)

My ONLY negative with the Luminae, the Daniel Boulud Moroccan chicken was so dry and over cooked. For us Luminae is more than just the food, which we really enjoyed, it more about having a fine dining experience more like one in a fine dining land restaurant, with exceptional service. We have never been impressed with the MDR on any cruise line. For us the MDR is more like eating in a banquet hall while Luminae and even Blu is more like fine dining. Before we sailed in our first suite on Celebrity, we had been in Aqua class only because of access to Blu to not have to dine in the MDR.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mfs2k said:

If I were this unhappy and this were my takeaway, on the second night I would have asked the Maitre D’ “What time should I return to be seated at that window table?”’ Then I’d go have a cocktail and return later for dinner. 

Clearly this seating situation is what you’ll remember and that’s awful. 

Absolutely agree. Had it been longer than a 7 day, I’m pretty sure we would have spoken to maitre d. As it was these were the first night (which kind of ignored the noise a bit, thinking it was part of typical first night chaos), then 2 nights late in the cruise. We did come later each time, and once had to wait for a table, and I’m thinking yay, we will get down at the end, or people are all leaving. But no, same location across from the noise.

I’m sure that staffing and Covid made it worse. I’m also thinking that the number of suites and the configuration of the room may make the noise more noticeable. We will find out after 2 weeks on Apex!