Dedicated Butler?- What this really means

wdjpvaz

We are booked in a Silver Suite for the Silver Dawn sailing on 1 April.  When it says dedicated butler, what does this really mean?  How many other suites is the butler shared with typically?

Also on a 7 night sailing what are the dress code nights?  how many formal or semi-formal nights?

Thanks!

4 hours ago, wdjpvaz said:

When it says dedicated butler, what does this really mean?

My personal interpretation, borne out by 2 SS cruises, is that you have a friend within the crew from day 1.  Your butler will give his (or her) best to you.  Ask any question you have.  Ask for something you would like to have in your cabin, if possible, your butler will get it for you.  Wishing you could have breakfast, lunch, or dinner in your cabin?  Just let your butler know & it will be arranged.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, wdjpvaz said:

how many formal or semi-formal nights?

A quick search of the Silversea website answers your question.

Evening Dress Code*   

Number of Cruise Days -> Formal -> Informal -> Casual

4 -> 1 -> 2 -> 1
5 -> 1 -> 3 -> 1  
6 -> 1 -> 3 -> 2  
7 -> 1 -> 3 -> 3
8 -> 1 -> 4 -> 3
9 -> 1 -> 5 -> 3
10 -> 2 -> 5 -> 3
11 -> 2 -> 6 -> 3
12 -> 2 -> 6 -> 4
13 -> 2 -> 7 -> 4
14 -> 3 -> 7 -> 4
15 -> 3 -> 8 -> 4
16 -> 3 -> 8 -> 5
17 -> 3 -> 9 -> 5
18 -> 3 -> 10 -> 5
19 -> 3 -> 10 -> 6
20 -> 3 -> 11 -> 6

*This information is for your guidance only and is subject to change.

I've always questioned Silversea's definition of "dedicated" when referring to the butler.  He or she will certainly not be dedicated to only your suite and needs.  As others have mentioned, except for the high end suites, they care for about a dozen suites per butler.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

My personal interpretation, borne out by 2 SS cruises, is that you have a friend within the crew from day 1.  Your butler will ive his (or her) best to you.  Ask any question you have.  Ask for something you would like to have in your cabin, if possible, your butler will get it for you.  Wishing you could have breakfast, lunch, or dinner in your cabin?  Just let your butler know & it will be arranged.

Great above summary and follow-up from our friend in Virginia.  From our experiences in doing six different Silversea cruise, the Butlers do very much enjoy being helpful, creative and resourceful. Challenge them in a reasonable manner, communicate and be involved with them.  

As an example on our Norway coast adventure detailed below, It was the evening for the World Cup final game in July 2010.  We wanted to watch that event while having dinner.  Our solution?   Have an in-suite "party" in our room.  We asked our Butler and he came with a plan by ordering a variety of different items off of the room service menu.  Several courses, lots of drink, etc., made it a super fun, relaxed evening!!!  And, out of balcony windows, we could see the scenic areas as we sailed south along the Norway coast.  On a 15-day cruise to the top of Europe and back, this was a nice change of pace from another evening in the main dining room.  And, as I recall, that World Cup final of Netherlands versus  Spain went into a dramatic overtime conclusion.  Exciting game and experience!!!  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 243,711 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here is how the set-up worked/looked for the six of us as we had our "watch party" during the 2010 World Cup game while sailing along the Norway Coast.  Second is a picture of some of the Butlers on our cruise as we sailed up a Norway fjord.  They appreciate passengers asking questions, sharing information about their backgrounds and interests, etc.  Nice communications and connections with our Butlers.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

DSC_3225.thumb.jpeg.35793cc44b5dee9ffe5a42f440bfccf8.jpeg

DSC_1783.thumb.jpeg.7d2a7c52d841fd2d5acd0d6d29e70c92.jpeg

• Like 4

What we enjoy most of a Butler, we never double lock are door so the Butler can come in early with coffee and a few rolls—set it up and leave.  That way if the bedroom door is closed we’re still sleeping-once we get up we have hot coffee waiting.

• Like 2

On several cruises, our butler has observed that I get up early to work in one of the lounges, while George likes to sleep later.  I drink hot tea while I work, and many cruises, after the first couple of days, I don’t have to make it myself.  It is there magically waiting for me.

• Like 3

Appreciate the kind comments and follow-ups from Cancun01, rkacruiser, QueSeraSera and Gourmet Gal about my earlier posting/visuals.  

Just to clarify from one of the earlier pictures, the Butlers are just not all male.  Below are two more recent examples where we had excellent females in that important role.  Hope this is of help.  Don't be shy with any comments, tips/ideas in working with the Butlers, added info needs, etc.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast on the Silver Spirit.  Now at 32,223 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

Below are a couple more visuals to verify that we enjoyed very nice and engaging Butler during our Silversea sailings.  First is Dorothy from our 2017 Lisbon to Rouen on the Silver Spirit.  Second is Janice on our 2019 Vancouver to Seward Alaska Silver Muse adventure.  Anyone having experiences with these two or any other Butlers? :

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

CMZ_7629.thumb.jpeg.2514e5fbec4ef7605accda4ef45e3b0f.jpeg

CMB_5971.thumb.jpeg.d71a58a94ec2cf75124c5e440a9f8873.jpeg

• Like 1