Into the Midnight Sun

2cruisecats

For people on May and early June , did excursions open up on the date that was listed on your invoice? Or did they open later and was it a mad rush as all cabins got to sign up at one time?

Edited by janetcbl
Typo

If anyone is considering private tours for the July 15 Into the Midnight Sun cruise please let me know.  We are interested in small group tours. Thanks.  We have been to Orkney and Shetland Island on a prior cruise to Iceland.

Ella 

Las Vegas

57 minutes ago, ekp said:

If anyone is considering private tours for the July 15 Into the Midnight Sun cruise please let me know.  We are interested in small group tours. Thanks.  We have been to Orkney and Shetland Island on a prior cruise to Iceland.

Ella 

Las Vegas

You might find some tour info here:

23 hours ago, janetcbl said:

For people on May and early June , did excursions open up on the date that was listed on your invoice? Or did they open later and was it a mad rush as all cabins got to sign up at one time?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2022 at 11:14 AM, Mehroswitha said:

We took this trip in 2019, and it was among our favorite cruises ever!

We'd been to London several times before but had never visited Churchill's War Rooms, which we found fascinating. One hint: Budget your time carefully! It appears at first that there are only a couple of rooms to see, so we examined everything very carefully. In fact, there is a whole warren of rooms to visit--all of them fascinating--and we had to rush through the latter ones. This is offered as a Viking excursion.

If you have any interest at all in Neolithic Europe, do check out the Megalithic Masterpieces tour by Wild About Orkneys--our all-time favorite shore excursion! Note that the scheduled times posted on their Web site don't line up with the ship's time in port . We contacted the company directly and were able to book a private tour with two other couples we "met" on our CC roll call. We completely avoided the crowds and visited at least one site that would not have been do-able for a larger group. Guide Rosemary was outstanding! Viking offers a similar itinerary, but with three couples the price difference was negligible and worth every penny! Would have been worth the price even if we'd paid the whole cost just for the two of us!

Bon voyage!

Just went to the "Wild About Orkneys" website.  Unfortunately they have closed down their tour business. "We are sad to announce that, after 31 years of sharing the wonders of Orkney with guests, Wildabout Orkney has now ceased operating as a tour and holiday business."

I was looking forward to their tour selection.

2 hours ago, TiiiSailor said:

Just went to the "Wild About Orkneys" website.  Unfortunately they have closed down their tour business. "We are sad to announce that, after 31 years of sharing the wonders of Orkney with guests, Wildabout Orkney has now ceased operating as a tour and holiday business."

I was looking forward to their tour selection.

We had booked a private tour with ToursByLocals in 2020, specifically Gary Donohue, who was well recommended. Unfortunately, that trip was scuppered, but I see the website is still live, so you may want to query them.

Orkney-Scotland - ToursByLocals

Enjoy the trip! 🍺🥌

• Like 1

On 4/16/2022 at 10:17 PM, Flyer55 said:

They aren't listed yet for the June 11 sailing.

We're on the June 11th cruise as well.  Very frustrating not seeing excursions.  I found it interesting that yesterday there were many cabins available in many categories.  Today it's sold out.  Not sure what's going on.

19 minutes ago, PBodek said:

We're on the June 11th cruise as well.  Very frustrating not seeing excursions.  I found it interesting that yesterday there were many cabins available in many categories.  Today it's sold out.  Not sure what's going on.

I wonder if they are reserving cabins for possible quarantines.

• Like 1

I spoke with someone at Viking last week and the agent told me that the ship will not be at full capacity.  I guess that is a good thing.  The agent did not know the numbers.  I had called to find out about the excursions and he said that Viking was working on them.  I guess it will be revealed eventually.

Ella

2 hours ago, ekp said:

I spoke with someone at Viking last week and the agent told me that the ship will not be at full capacity.  I guess that is a good thing.  The agent did not know the numbers.  I had called to find out about the excursions and he said that Viking was working on them.  I guess it will be revealed eventually.

Ella

“Working on them…” seems to always be the answer.

5 minutes ago, Flyer55 said:

I got a call from Viking on Thursday, and was told the excursions should be released in about 10 days.

I haven't heard anything from Viking.  Did you book directly with them?  You are talking about the 6/11 cruise, correct?

On 4/23/2022 at 9:43 PM, PBodek said:

This sounds ominous to me.

They often show Sold Out and then cancel the cruise!! Is it going too near Russia?or is the Ship behind schedule from the Ship Yard????

June 11th and July 15th are both showing sold out.  June 11th is on the Mars but July 15th is on the Venus.  I am booked on the July 15th cruise.  I really hope this is not a bad sign for these cruises.  Earlier this week, there was a lot of availability.  

8 hours ago, sarclar said:

June 11th and July 15th are both showing sold out.  June 11th is on the Mars but July 15th is on the Venus.  I am booked on the July 15th cruise.  I really hope this is not a bad sign for these cruises.  Earlier this week, there was a lot of availability.  

There is definitely something they are not telling us!!

I suspect they’re working on a new itinerary. Our itinerary has been incorrect for months. They have Orkney and Shetland the wrong way round , they’ve dropped Geiranger and substituted Olden.

I know that a tour company in Shetland are booked out to Viking Mars (months ago). So it’s not the excursions holding things up.

I just wish they would tell us the truth!!!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, cruisinchrissy said:

This sounds ominous to me.

They often show Sold Out and then cancel the cruise!! Is it going too near Russia?or is the Ship behind schedule from the Ship Yard????

If your cruise still lists Nordkapp as a port of call, that is very close to the very small Norway border with Russia.  Its on the Barents Sea which is still open for Russian sea traffic.  Not a reason to cancel an entire cruise though.

56 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

If your cruise still lists Nordkapp as a port of call, that is very close to the very small Norway border with Russia.  Its on the Barents Sea which is still open for Russian sea traffic.  Not a reason to cancel an entire cruise though.

Nordkapp to Kirkenes, the  town closest to the Russian border is over 500 km .driving. Don’t think it is a problem.