How are the Swans doing 2022??

51 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Just GWS, although they have sponsored other teams in the past.

I hope they get big money for this, otherwise, they could stay home and play. It's a little weird for those of us in the USA. Though teams will do anything for money, as as far as I know, no government supports a team directly. Lots of "indirect" support--thru tax breaks, land grabs, and condemning property. But those are advanced techniques. 

https://www.gwsgiants.com.au/club/canberra

It is for tourism mainly.

The previous contract was for $23 million for ten years (GWS entered the AFL in 2012), for at least 4 games per year, and name on the jersey, etc.

A headline from April.

'We're the AFL team for the people of Canberra': GWS Giants eye new 10-year deal with ACT government

April 18 2022 - 5:00pm

r0_44_5000_2855_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Canberra product Tom Green has been a fan favourite at the Giants. Picture: Jamila Toderas

The GWS Giants are intent on striking a new 10-year deal to bring AFL games to Canberra as the spotlight turns to the ACT government and whether it will replicate the $23 million pricetag.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

https://www.gwsgiants.com.au/club/canberra

It is for tourism mainly.

The previous contract was for $23 million for ten years (GWS entered the AFL in 2012), for at least 4 games per year, and name on the jersey, etc.

That's an interesting concept. I'm trying to think if we have anything similar here but I don't think so. Some American pro golfers wore some NFL team logos at one time but I haven't seen that lately and I don't know of any city working a marketing deal with a team. At least, not one that isn't already in the city.  I guess Sydney is the closest big city with an AFL team, so it makes sense.

On 7/18/2022 at 2:36 AM, NoWhiners said:

That's an interesting concept. I'm trying to think if we have anything similar here but I don't think so. Some American pro golfers wore some NFL team logos at one time but I haven't seen that lately and I don't know of any city working a marketing deal with a team. At least, not one that isn't already in the city.  I guess Sydney is the closest big city with an AFL team, so it makes sense.

There is a variety of movements, some by clubs and some by the AFL.

north Melbourne has some games in Hobart, and Hawthorn in Launceston. Both under sponsorship of the Tasmanian government.  They are currently playing each other in Hobart.

The league has allocated games to Darwin and Alive Springs. 

Anyway, just found this (will be out, so no more updates from me):

B92CBA21-93E5-478A-9B3A-942F6D42977A.thumb.png.d9925e259e9f5060bd98d6742c45db69.png

This is a good start! Thanks for posting Leigh.

We are packing for our annual trip to the lake; we leave on Sunday. As usual, we are leaving when it is really hot and dry here. Lake has water, forecast is cloudy, wet, and cool, which I hope actually happens.

Go Swans!

16 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

This is a good start! Thanks for posting Leigh.

We are packing for our annual trip to the lake; we leave on Sunday. As usual, we are leaving when it is really hot and dry here. Lake has water, forecast is cloudy, wet, and cool, which I hope actually happens.

Go Swans!

Sorry ML I owe you an email. We fly to Cairns on Monday. We'll be back in Melbourne on the 4th Aug so I'll reply then. Have a fantastic time at the lake.

Edited by possum52

9 hours ago, possum52 said:

Sorry ML I owe you an email. We fly to Cairns on Monday. We'll be back in Melbourne on the 4th Aug so I'll reply then. Have a fantastic time at the lake.

No worries, enjoy your trip. We aren't back until Aug 3rd, so we're in sync. Safe travels.

8 hours ago, possum52 said:

Final Score - Swans 17.16. 118 d Crows 12.13.85

Thanks for posting. Another win, by a more convincing margin.

Go Swans!

• Like 1

With four games to go, they should be safe, they play 15th, 18th, 4th and 9th.

30/07/2022 04:10 SCG Sydney Swans GWS Giants -
21 07/08/2022 03:10 Marvel Stadium North Melbourne Sydney Swans -
22 14/08/2022 05:20 SCG Sydney Swans Collingwood -
23 19/08/2022 02:00 Marvel Stadium StKilda

Sydney Swans

St Kilda in 9th (8 points behind) have to play 1st, 3rd and the Swans still with only Hawthorn being below them.

Richmond in 10th (10 points)  have to play 3rd, 11th, 13th and 14th.

One win would likely make them safe, 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

St Kilda in 9th (8 points behind) have to play 1st, 3rd and the Swans still with only Hawthorn being below them.

Richmond in 10th (10 points)  have to play 3rd, 11th, 13th and 14th.

One win would likely make them safe, 

I didn't think to look at their schedule, thanks for that. They should do Ok, but they have had some spells where they look like they never played before. I had such high hopes for them pre-season, now I'm just hoping they hang on for the playoffs.

Go Swans!

• Like 1

It's an unusually tight ladder this year. Geelong the clear standout, and there's 5-6 teams who could finish anywhere from 2nd to 7th depending on results. Then 3 teams - St Kilda, Richmond, Bulldogs - to fight out for 8th spot.

Then finals is a whole different ballgame. Who even knows.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Sydney Swans win convincingly,  17.10 (112) to GWS 5.9 (39).

Currently 4th on the ladder, may drop back to 5th after Brisbane's game tomorrow.

7 hours ago, losfp said:

Our first 4 quarter effort in a while.  Very pleasing intensity and effort. Big few weeks coming up, a top 4 finish is in reach.

Music to my ears!! Maybe the Swans are peaking in preparation for the playoffs? Nice to read that they finally played all 4Qs, it sure seemed like they weren't doing that.

Top 4 would be good, let's all hope Brisbane loses and the Swans stay sharp.

Thanks for posting the scores Mic.

Go Swans!