RCI European Sailing Protocols

17 hours ago, kayguz said:

I've read the new updated protocols.  We are vaxed but not boosted.  I understand paying for the extra testing.  What I don't understand is that Greece has dropped basically all covid requirements, yet RCL is still making the non-boosted people test before the Greek ports in addition to Italian-- Turkey was not on the list for additional testing for non-boosted people.  Anyone have any guesses?? I am also wondering if we test for Naples on our last day is that also good for disembarkation? The agent that I spoke to wasn't very helpful and I'm not sure I want to wait in the cue again....  (I also know that CC is not concrete info, but I am really curious what others think or interpret.)

I think this is basically up to royal. You dont need a test to enter Italy but need to test to get on board the ship.

Now is this royal being cautious and trying to identify some % of covid passengers to save them having to  deal with them, physically and financially or is it the requirements for Italy and other EU countries to impose testing for cruise ships?

I got a feeling once the US drop the testing to enter the US then royal will follow for cruises, as long as the EU keep their current requirement of no testing.

Edited by FamilyCruiserUK

1 hour ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

I think this is basically up to royal. You dont need a test to enter Italy but need to test to get on board the ship.

Now is this royal being cautious and trying to identify some % of covid passengers to save them having to  deal with them, physically and financially or is it the requirements for Italy and other EU countries to impose testing for cruise ships?

I got a feeling once the US drop the testing to enter the US then royal will follow for cruises, as long as the EU keep their current requirement of no testing.

On Celebritys protocols page for Italy it said that this was Italian authorities demand to test one day before. This does seem to change on an almost daily basis though and last time I checked it had changed back (again) to two days 

Screenshot_20220522-101913_Chrome.thumb.jpg.eee1cfa68a14132914f8f01f3e837362.jpg

Edited by sgmn

13 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

I've sort of wondered this as well.  I'm so close to saying dump the cruise, but I know the girls will be so upset.  If we were going to almost any other EU country we wouldn't even have to test before going (which I would anyway because I don't want to start off with an issue!)  Covid sucks all the fun out of planning and anticipating for me--- aarrrggghhh

• Like 3

On 5/22/2022 at 9:23 AM, FamilyCruiserUK said:

For a very long time the CDC had different rules for cruise passengers than for any other travel.  This is the same in Italy and some other countries...the rules the nations are imposing on ships, regarding testing, are not the same as they impose on visitors otherwise.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We're on an August cruise out of Rome, and I'm so confused by all the testing. First of all, all countries we're visiting: Italy, Greece and Turkey have pretty much dropped all Covid testing requirements. Why hasn't Royal followed suit for those who aren't boosted?

Second, does Royal still provide the "day 5" testing for flying back into the US or do we need to do this at our own expenses when leaving the ship?

12 minutes ago, exm said:

Second, does Royal still provide the "day 5" testing for flying back into the US or do we need to do this at our own expenses when leaving the ship?

You have to arrange this on your own and at your own expense.

If you are flying back to the US the same day you disembark I highly recommend you bring some of those proctored e-med tests with you and do it on board on the last night of the cruise. Another option, if your last day is a port day, would be to get the tests done in that port.

Don't plan on disembarking and doing it at the airport before boarding your flight. On my recent Odyssey sailing, there were apparently many US cruisers who missed their flights home because the line for testing at Rome Airport was so long and slow-moving.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

You have to arrange this on your own and at your own expense.

If you are flying back to the US the same day you disembark I highly recommend you bring some of those proctored e-med tests with you and do it on board on the last night of the cruise. Another option, if your last day is a port day, would be to get the tests done in that port.

Don't plan on disembarking and doing it at the airport before boarding your flight. On my recent Odyssey sailing, there were apparently many US cruisers who missed their flights home because the line for testing at Rome Airport was so long and slow-moving.

Thank you, I am wondering if the internet connection will be sufficient though on-board.

19 minutes ago, exm said:

We're on an August cruise out of Rome, and I'm so confused by all the testing. First of all, all countries we're visiting: Italy, Greece and Turkey have pretty much dropped all Covid testing requirements. Why hasn't Royal followed suit for those who aren't boosted?

Same concerns here!  I just checked and Italy has dropped off the list of ports that require testing before going ashore for those not "up to date" with vaccines (also the preboard testing seems to have changed to two days prior for the non-boosted which is the same for the boosted-- but I could just be "seeing things" at this point).  I also noticed that no test is required to disembark now either for the non boosted.  However, Greece--- which dropped ALL requirements many weeks ago, is STILL on the list!  It's an extra $500 of testing that I would rather spend elsewhere- and the anxiety of taking extra tests.  I have yet to find anyone on CC that has been on that trip, not boosted, who could share their experience of when they tested and how long the test was good for.... meaning if we test the morning before Santorini is that test good for Mykonos two days later??

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, exm said:

Thank you, I am wondering if the internet connection will be sufficient though on-board.

I think I have read a few posts by people who were able to do the tests on board but I guess it probably depends on which ship, as some have better internet than others.

Thinking out of the box here, another potential option, if you have a private transfer booked and time allows, could be to arrange with your driver to take you to pharmacy that does testing, somewhere between Civi and the airport.

This map shows locations:

https://www.salutelazio.it/elenco-farmacie-che-eseguono-tamponi-antigenici-rapidi

You'd need to have the driver wait while you do the tests but as they can email the results to you, you wouldn't necessarily have to wait for those to be ready (although I'd probably want to wait and get the paper in my hand just in case). You'd need to be mindful of opening times, especially if your cruise ends on a Sunday when most pharmacies are closed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1