OBC increase suprise

Had $25 OBC for our upcoming 4-day on Independence OTS and then a couple days ago while checking to see if we got our room assignment (GTY Balcony) our OBC is now $125!!!!

I've never had this happen, and honestly that's very generous for such a short cruise!

• Like 1

I had a $50 OBC appear out of nowhere when I had none to start, for my Sept. HOS sailing.  I spent it on a Taste of Royal lunch with my DW immediately.  I figured if it was a mistake, they were less likely to take it back if it was already spent. 😆

Edited by ramja96
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, ramja96 said:

I had a $50 OBC appear out of nowhere when I had none to start, for my Sept. HOS sailing.  I spent it on a Taste of Royal lunch with my DW immediately.  I figured if it was a mistake, they were less likely to take it back if it was already spent. 😆

We had $750 appear as OBC on our cruise on Harmony last September, supposedly under CWC due to a price drop inside final payment. I knew it was a mistake, as I'd been monitoring the price and it had actually gone up rather than down, so I didn't feel comfortable spending it and a few days later they did take it back. But I can't help wondering if we would have been allowed to keep it if we had already spent it. 😂

22 hours ago, ramja96 said:

Be careful.  There has been reports that purchases made with OBC that is pulled are added back as payment due.  And cruises have been cancelled, with no warning, due to non payment.

22 hours ago, ramja96 said:

I figured if it was a mistake, they were less likely to take it back if it was already spent.

I know you're joking a little, but I wouldn't count on them not taking back a mistake just because you spent it.

24 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Be careful.  There has been reports that purchases made with OBC that is pulled are added back as payment due.  And cruises have been cancelled, with no warning, due to non payment.

I can't see that happening as any OBC "purchase" that would not be covered by the OBC would be charged directly to your on board stateroom account.  Don't know why that would result in a cruise being canceled.  It would just appear as an extra charge.  Guess I'm just not following the logic...

Edited by leaveitallbehind

22 hours ago, auntie.emily94 said:

Had $25 OBC for our upcoming 4-day on Independence OTS and then a couple days ago while checking to see if we got our room assignment (GTY Balcony) our OBC is now $125!!!!

I've never had this happen, and honestly that's very generous for such a short cruise!

Sometimes additional OBC can appear if a port of call has been canceled, or if the actual GTY stateroom assigned carried that OBC v the base category listed in the GTY....who knows. It could also just be a mistake. 

But as it is a ship assigned OBC it has no cash refund value to you and would be lost if not used on board. I would take a printed version of the booking confirmation that shows it to provide to Guest Services should there be any questions on board.   So I wouldn't be concerned and would enjoy my cruise!  

Edited by leaveitallbehind

55 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Yes, I had somewhat had this happen.  I called in to do a price check, and the room rate was lower, so the customer service rep made the change.  She failed to mention that some of my promotional OBC would be lost when the rate was updated.  So then I got a notice that I a balance due on my Deluxe Beverage Package that I had used OBC to purchase.  Not happy about it.  

2 minutes ago, squattie said:

Yes, I had somewhat had this happen.  I called in to do a price check, and the room rate was lower, so the customer service rep made the change.  She failed to mention that some of my promotional OBC would be lost when the rate was updated.  So then I got a notice that I a balance due on my Deluxe Beverage Package that I had used OBC to purchase.  Not happy about it.  

She certainly should have indicated the OBC change with the price change, as when a price change is made it is at the then prevailing promo, which in your case had the lower OBC.  The trade off would have to be the lowered rate v the out of pocket cost for the DBP portion not covered by the new OBC.  Hopefully this would still net a positive change.

4 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

She certainly should have indicated the OBC change with the price change, as when a price change is made it is at the then prevailing promo, which in your case had the lower OBC.  The trade off would have to be the lowered rate v the out of pocket cost for the DBP portion not covered by the new OBC.  Hopefully this would still net a positive change.

Exactly!  Just tell me that up front.  I called back and spent an hour or so on the phone, pleading my case to a rep and a supervisor, but to no avail.  Overall it cost me $20 more (room rate decrease + increase in DBP), so I just let it go.  

Just now, squattie said:

Exactly!  Just tell me that up front.  I called back and spent an hour or so on the phone, pleading my case to a rep and a supervisor, but to no avail.  Overall it cost me $20 more (room rate decrease + increase in DBP), so I just let it go.  

That is unfortunate and clearly a disconnect on the rep's part. Too bad they didn't simply adjust for the mistake.

But to the point being made originally by @Another_Critic, this would not result in the cancelation of your cruise.  And I am not picking on them or bein critical, just seeking clarity to their comment.

50 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

But to the point being made originally by @Another_Critic, this would not result in the cancelation of your cruise.  And I am not picking on them or bein critical, just seeking clarity to their comment.

@leaveitallbehind is picking me.  😢  😄

I may be mistaken.  Maybe I can find and review the post.

24 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

@leaveitallbehind is picking me.  😢  😄

I may be mistaken.  Maybe I can find and review the post.

LOL.  I really am trying to be quite gentle in my questions. 🙂  You raise an interesting point that I am not familiar with and am only seeking clarity.

I get the issue as raised by @squattie with the reprice resulting in a lowered OBC that had the net price unfavorable as a result of the bev. pkg. purchase.  But that typically is resolved in the manner they describe.

Time to load my guns for other posts..........😁