Halifax hard to walk?

M5M

I heard Halifax is "quite hilly" and could be hard to walk for a senior....? I know its subjective, but wondering. And, the eastern shore across from Halifax, there are some other small towns, wondering about trying to visit those areas, I believe one of the areas is called Dartmouth?

Adjacent to the cruise terminal is the Boardwalk, which goes along the shore for perhaps a mile, and has nice waterfront views as well as access to restaurants, the Maritime Museum, etc. Easy walking, all flat. 

Above that, yes, it is quite hilly.  For example, getting to the Citadel requires mostly all uphill walking.  We did that the first time we were there; we've done the Boardwalk on all our subsequent visits, and always enjoyed it.

• Like 2

On 3/26/2022 at 6:18 PM, shipgeeks said:

Above that, yes, it is quite hilly.  For example, getting to the Citadel requires mostly all uphill walking.

We made the mistake of renting a bike thinking we would bike up to the Citadel. That was a mistake-- the ride down was fun though. 

The Citadel is walkable if you are in reasonably good shape but its a very steep hike in places. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2022 at 11:15 AM, M5M said:

I heard Halifax is "quite hilly" and could be hard to walk for a senior....? I know its subjective, but wondering. And, the eastern shore across from Halifax, there are some other small towns, wondering about trying to visit those areas, I believe one of the areas is called Dartmouth?

• Dartmouth is just across the harbour. There is a ferry that leaves from the Halifax waterfront and deposits you in downtown Dartmouth. The waterfront area of Halifax is fairly flat, but the hill is steep if you leave it. The waterfront has the historic properties, Maritime Museum of the Atlantic (good Titanic and Halifax explosion exhibits) and the Pier 21 museum (immigration). there are also excursions that leave from the waterfront.
  •  
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I am also considering on what to do in Halifax. I do think we want to stroll around the city, but I'm also considering Peggy's Cove. What do you think abut renting a car versus getting one of those transport services? The transport costs $50 ish per person, but car rental costs about $111 per day, which for a family of 4 is a good deal.

I guess I'm mostly asking whether parking will be an issue, or whether getting to car rental place will be an issue. If I understand the map correctly, there are Avis / Budget locations near the cruise port so it doesn't seem that bad.

The car rentals are in the train station which is basically across the street although it's a bit complicated to find from that side of the station (the rear).  We rented a car (I think it was National or Enterprise) and went to several spots around Halifax as well as Peggy's Cove.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ericosmith said:

The car rentals are in the train station which is basically across the street although it's a bit complicated to find from that side of the station (the rear).  We rented a car (I think it was National or Enterprise) and went to several spots around Halifax as well as Peggy's Cove.  

Thank you this is immensely helpful. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/2/2022 at 7:30 PM, nyold said:

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I am also considering on what to do in Halifax. I do think we want to stroll around the city, but I'm also considering Peggy's Cove. What do you think abut renting a car versus getting one of those transport services? The transport costs $50 ish per person, but car rental costs about $111 per day, which for a family of 4 is a good deal.

I guess I'm mostly asking whether parking will be an issue, or whether getting to car rental place will be an issue. If I understand the map correctly, there are Avis / Budget locations near the cruise port so it doesn't seem that bad.

I haven't travelled enough recently to confirm this, but the rental car companies sold all their stock when it  became obvious that nobody would travel with the virus restrictions.  Therefore, I hear over and over about a severe shortage of rental cars everywhere.  So I'd be careful, try to get the phone of the local office and be sure the car is there when you are.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2022 at 10:30 PM, nyold said:

We rented a car in 2019 and had a wonderful day. We did the cemetery, Herring Cove which a local told us to check out on the way to Peggy's Cove, Peggy's Cove and since we were not on a tour bus we were able to have lunch there, then we went to the Swiss Air Memorial very close to Peggy's Cove.