Refund on cruises that go on sale

Cool Rider

I have paid for my cruise in full a few days ago.  It looks like my cruise has gone on sale and a friend of a friend that is cruising on the same cruise got obc because the cruise went on sale.  I do not want my son in law to loose commission but I would sure like to get a credit if possible and put in obc. Does anyone  know this answer?  Would be nice to use toward a dining package.  We leave in 29 days.  Thanks

Edited by Cool Rider

1 hour ago, Cool Rider said:

I have paid for my cruise in full a few days ago.  It looks like my cruise has gone on sale and a friend of a friend that is cruising on the same cruise got obc because the cruise went on sale.  I do not want my son in law to loose commission but I would sure like to get a credit if possible and put in obc. Does anyone  know this answer?  Would be nice to use toward a dining package.  We leave in 29 days.  Thanks

Have your TA request the new pricing

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Have your TA request the new pricing

Not always a good deal - even with a lower fare. In a rebook, everything usually gets readjusted including cruise line and some TA perks. So, a $100 price drop could mean $200 less SBC. AND you can end up with a different (less desirable cabin). This is one of the reasons why I like Oceania’s book-onboard “”price drop match” guarantee.

3 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Not always a good deal - even with a lower fare. In a rebook, everything usually gets readjusted including cruise line and some TA perks. So, a $100 price drop could mean $200 less SBC. AND you can end up with a different (less desirable cabin). This is one of the reasons why I like Oceania’s book-onboard “”price drop match” guarantee.

The OP did not say what line they are on so might not be on Oceania  so a moot point if the line they are on does not have the guarantee

9 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

The OP did not say what line they are on so might not be on Oceania  so a moot point if the line they are on does not have the guarantee

Yet - good for OP to know that there’s some lines that have a mechanism for price drop match.

• Haha 1

Talk with your SIL for any options with post final payment cruise fare change options, since if he as a TA booked it for you he is the only one who can address the booking regarding any price changes. 

As his commission is based on the actual final price paid for your cruise fare, his commission will be adjusted accordingly.  You cannot benefit from any price change that results in a decrease without a change in his commission.  In other words you can't have your cake and eat it too. 

Your best fare will be his only concern and his resulting commission should not be your concern.  If it is, then don't try to get the reduced fare,

Edited by leaveitallbehind

After final payment cruise lines don’t have to adjust the fare. In most cases they may give you an upgrade to a better cabin or OBC but it’s at there discretion. If you purchased the cruise from a travel agency, online travel company or from the cruise line itself they will only negotiate with the person or company that placed the reservation. That means if your son in law is a travel agent who booked the cruise for you he is the only one who can attempt to sweeten your deal. 

In spite of other comments, refaring is a common practice for passengers.  In the past this was usually only available before final payment.  Covid may have changed the rules a bit.

Refaring on the majority of lines does not mean cancelling and rebooking.  It only means you get the better fare.  All other perks, cabin assignments and benefits remain.  Still....buyer beware...covid has changed a lot of things.

Best advice here is to confer with your booking agent (son in law) and see what can be done.

Hello Cool Rider

I read your post about a cruise you had already booked and paid for has gone on "sale", and how a friend of a friend got a better price with OBC. That is not to say that you would necessarily be entitled to that  same pricing.

That "friend of a friend" may have had a price offering that you are not entitled to. I would imagine you understand that everybody doesn't pay the same price for the same cabin type on any given sailing. To verify if you are entitled to any given price, do a "mock booking", this will indicate how much "you" would have to pay for the same cabin class you are in at this time and if there is any OBC you would be given. If this price is lower in most cases you may be able to reprice your cruise, but at the same time there could be an attached penalty. It would depend on the cruise lines rules for your booking.