BinaxNOW Test for a Couple

TiogaCruiser

We are preparing to leave for our cruise, and have purchased the BinaxNOW medically monitored tests as both a 2 pack and a 3 pack. I cannot find the answer on their website and cannot find a place to chat with them. And the box says not to open until in front of the proctor. So for those who have used these tests:

1) Do each of us have to have our own set of tests? Do we end up "wasting" a test if we have one left over and want to use it later?

2) Can we "book" a session with a proctor for the both of us? 

I understand we both have to set up our own account in Navica.

Any additional advice from those who have used these?

Thanks!

Each individual test is boxed separately. Create your Navica account now, then when you are ready to test, go to the eMed site and click 'I have a test'. You login with your Navica account, then will be connected to a test proctor, who will walk you though the process. You must do it separately. There are a lot of YouTube videos showing the process. It's very easy and straightforward.

Here's one: 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, cyntil8ing said:

Each individual test is boxed separately. Create your Navica account now, then when you are ready to test, go to the eMed site and click 'I have a test'. You login with your Navica account, then will be connected to a test proctor, who will walk you though the process. You must do it separately. There are a lot of YouTube videos showing the process. It's very easy and straightforward.

Here's one: 

Exactly what 8ing said was our experience.  We had an early flight so logged in at 12:05am and the proctor was immediately available.  Took about 25 minutes total including the 15 minute wait time for the test.  Just don't open the box before they come on line.  They see you and walk you through the process but you don't see them - only hear them.  I purchased 3 tests incase we had an issue with one of them. You must have the proctored test and NOT the one's that come 2 tests in one box.

• Thanks 1

I fear you have almost certainly obained the wrong test.

IMG_0232.JPG.90c23d8cb1dc72fa97d69674942f1bdb.JPG

The proctored tests always come with the red stripe in individually packaged tests like the one on the right with the red stripe.  As stated you cannot open it until the proctor is watching.  The proctored tests are considerably more expensive than the ones that come in multi-packs as they include the cost of the proctors.  I'm quite sure you will not be able to use the tests in the multi-pack to board the ship, and they do not need to be used all at once.  The good news is that the optum store is really fast about getting the tests to you (probably less than 4 days).  You might want to use one of the tests from the multi-pack as a practice test and take the rest with you so you can self test if you end up in quarantine.

Roy

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

I fear you have almost certainly obained the wrong test.

IMG_0232.JPG.90c23d8cb1dc72fa97d69674942f1bdb.JPG

The proctored tests always come with the red stripe in individually packaged tests like the one on the right with the red stripe.  As stated you cannot open it until the proctor is watching.  The proctored tests are considerably more expensive than the ones that come in multi-packs as they include the cost of the proctors.  I'm quite sure you will not be able to use the tests in the multi-pack to board the ship, and they do not need to be used all at once.  The good news is that the optum store is really fast about getting the tests to you (probably less than 4 days).  You might want to use one of the tests from the multi-pack as a practice test and take the rest with you so you can self test if you end up in quarantine.

Roy

Thanks. We have the correct ones.

False alarm!  DH must have opened the shrink wrap around the pack. I didn’t, because I read the warning and obviously (now) mis-interpreted it.

I thought they ( the proctored version) were all bound together, as in 3 inside one package, like the non-proctored version, (and not 3 separate sealed boxes).

I bought a non-proctored version months ago (just in case) so we would have it. We used those last week when one of us didn’t feel right. 

8DDE8D96-A965-49E1-95A0-03FC8B5E3BDC.jpeg

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

False alarm!  DH must have opened the shrink wrap around the pack. I didn’t, because I read the warning and obviously (now) mis-interpreted it.

I thought they ( the proctored version) were all bound together, as in 3 inside one package, like the non-proctored version, (and not 3 separate sealed boxes).

I bought a non-proctored version months ago (just in case) so we would have it. We used those last week when one of us didn’t feel right. 

Very good.  You're now covered in case one gets spoiled.

Roy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Yes - those are the correct tests.

Tip 1:   Use a laptop if you have one, it's much easier unless you want to hold a camera for 15 min.

Tip 2:  Turn your purchase receipt into your insurance.  They reimbursed my 2 separate orders (not shipping)

Tip 3:  Have a sharp knife ready (it makes it easier to open the box)

• Thanks 1

On 4/2/2022 at 12:52 AM, cruzin4us said:

Tip 1:   Use a laptop if you have one, it's much easier unless you want to hold a camera for 15 min.

Tip 2:  Turn your purchase receipt into your insurance.  They reimbursed my 2 separate orders (not shipping)

Tip 3:  Have a sharp knife ready (it makes it easier to open the box)

What insurer do you have? 

We have Medicare (and BC/BS supplimental), and I was just told (by an actually very nice Medicare rep, who checked with a manager) that while they will now cover the cost of over-the-counter purchases of covid tests (up to 8 per month), they will only reimburse the health provider (pharmacy, doctor, etc.), not the individual purchaser.  That is, like the vaccinations, you could get them for "free" at, say, CVS, and CVS would be reimbursed by Medicare. 

Problem is, the proctored Abbott Binax Now covid-19 ag home tests (red stripe) seem to only be available by online order, paid for by the consumer, from the eMed site.  According to the rep, since eMed doesn't directly bill Medicare, they wouldn't pay for it if we personally submitted a claim.

From your experience, did they tell me wrong, or are you not yet on Medicare?

25 minutes ago, LindaJ+ said:

What's the difference between Navica and emed?

Navica is the app you have to have to use for the proctored (observed) "Abbott BinaxNow Covid-19 ag home tests".  It also gives you a verification you can use as proof. Emed is the main online vendor of the tests ($150 for 6).  An online outfit called "Optum" also markets them in packs of 2 or 3, but at about $35.ea.  I like to have at least one spare in case of a foulup...had that happen in Ecuador where my netbook kept dropping either video or sound and could never complete the process, so wasted one box.