Help....Need to contact other members of Cruise Critic Directly

MrsTocko

1 hour ago, zqvol said:

Never understood the reason to be the one to contact NCL about a M&G. You don’t get anything for doing it other than getting to pat yourself on the back. Definitely a first world issue getting so upset. 

I don't know how NCL handles things now, but a couple of times in the past, I got a lot of perks for being the person who put in all the effort to arrange the Meet & Mingle and organize most of the Roll Call activities. Priority boarding, concierge services, breakfast with the suite guests even though I only had a balcony cabin, etc. I certainly didn't expect or ask for any of those benefits, but they were offered to me and my cabin-mate and I did enjoy them. 

I suspect a lot of those perks are going away, and I certainly wouldn't put in all the effort just to get those perks. When I've done the organizing, it's because I wanted to get to know other cruisers. I enjoy organizing things and helping people. 

Edited by JustAllie
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, hallux said:

and I'm wondering if you even reached the correct audience.  I wonder if someone from another social media page made the request feigning that they were doing it for a CC roll call.

@hallux That definitely makes sense, however our particular sailing does not have an open social media page at this time.  Even if there was one, a member of any group can contact Special Events to create an event for their group.  My hubby was kind enough to research this topic and found this forum here.  I am absolutely flabbergasted that there were others and as I mentioned before, I hope this is not a trend.

2 hours ago, zqvol said:

Never understood the reason to be the one to contact NCL about a M&G. You don’t get anything for doing it other than getting to pat yourself on the back. Definitely a first world issue getting so upset. 

@zqvol Because we like meeting people?!!  Some of our best cruising friends were made through these roll calls and at the CC M&G! 

In YOUR opinion not worth being upset.  That is your opinion.
In my opinion, it was utterly rude for this person to not even try to connect with me given the fact that I repeated my email multiple times.  We could have figured something out very easily had they done so.

Edited by afn10305
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, hallux said:

and I'm wondering if you even reached the correct audience.  I wonder if someone from another social media page made the request feigning that they were doing it for a CC roll call.

Wouldnt they have to identify themselves with a cabin number etc to request an M&M or M&G ? Before the covid we could join the upcoming M&M by registering online in CC with the ship, then our names and cabin number.  

7 minutes ago, sailingships said:

Wouldnt they have to identify themselves with a cabin number etc to request an M&M or M&G ? Before the covid we could join the upcoming M&M by registering online in CC with the ship, then our names and cabin number.  

I guess that depends on what cruise line you're on?  Never had that option to register online for NCL.  I suppose for the future I could make having a cabin number mandatory instead of optional, but I never had this come up before. 

My hubby and I have always made it a practice to hold our own "unofficial" M&G on sailaway day after lunch and muster drill and before sailaway to meet people too.

When you sign up to host the M&G you have to give your cabin number, reservation numbers and name.  ON board person with NCL will contact you usually with a phone call/voicemail in your cabin.

NCL will also contact you right before you cruise to get a final count of people who are coming.

And no, there is no benefit arranging the M&G other than having other CC cruisers put face to name and to have a nice time talking to upper level Crew members to interface with them face-to-face.  NCL really likes CC participants.  They will offer refreshments and snacks while closing off part of the ship for as as a private function.

Edited by graphicguy

4 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

When you sign up to host the M&G you have to give your cabin number, reservation numbers and name.  ON board person with NCL will contact you usually with a phone call/voicemail in your cabin.

NCL will also contact you right before you cruise to get a final count of people who are coming.

And no, there is no benefit arranging the M&G other than having other CC cruisers put face to name and to have a nice time talking to upper level Crew members to interface with them face-to-face.  NCL really likes CC participants.  They will offer refreshments and snacks while closing off part of the ship for as as a private function.

Thank you for your reply graphicguy.  We are not newbies to hosting a M&G with NCL and are well aware of the process.  We have held some successful ones in the past, and a couple where only a few people showed up.  

What IS new to me, is someone literally HIJACKING the process without giving me so much as a quick email to say something along the lines of them wanting to take over the hosting.  This person, whoever they are, has also not been communicating anything on the roll call.  

I HAVE been interacting with every single poster that has come on board!

• Like 1

I do several different types.  I will have the unofficial at the sail away. People inevitably get busy and forget the official one.  I will also do the pub crawl. Just a couple extra opportunities to meet up.  I don’t care if you drink or not.

with regard to the specific situation that prompted my thread.  I talked to the coordinator that day, and while she couldn’t tell me, she knew who it was. A few days after I posted, I got a call from her that I was the new leader.  She recommended to send the request in as soon as you book.  Especially if you are an early booker. 

Each special events person handles multiple ships.  Jackie took care of me.  And when I was waiting to confirm for my cruise this April, (we had time and location shift due to itinerary change) I spoke with Jackie again, and she looked at all my cruises, and told me which ones I hadn’t even sent the request in on yet.  So I sent the request in, went to a different coordinator, and too early to request.  

• Like 1

I think I get the "jest" of what's going on.  Got no dog in this hunt, so don't shoot me.

But, it sounds like you set up a "Roll Call" here at CC for your cruise.  That's different from a Meet and Greet.  So, is it possible you set up the Roll Call and someone else set up the Meet and Greet?  Obviously, that's what NCL thinks.

But, as you say, it nets the host of the Meet and Greet nothing to arrange it.  Just a way to meet other CC-ers.  So, while there is clearly some misunderstanding with who arranged what with whom.  In the end, it's about getting together with other cruisers to...well....meet and mingle.  Does it really matter who arranged it?

I've hosted a few M&Gs.  I know once I contacted NCL and they informed me someone had already sent in the paperwork for it, I was happy to let them do the leg work and just show up at the designated place and time.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 5

Sounds like there could be some...uhhh, interesting conversations onboard. I hope someone starts a live to record the historic meeting of they who set up the meet and greet and they who wish they had been able to have that honor.

Alas, let this blow over, don't make it stress you. It's a cruise vacation. Enjoy!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I think I get the "jest" of what's going on.  Got no dog in this hunt, so don't shoot me.

But, it sounds like you set up a "Roll Call" here at CC for your cruise.  That's different from a Meet and Greet.  So, is it possible you set up the Roll Call and someone else set up the Meet and Greet?  Obviously, that's what NCL thinks.

But, as you say, it nets the host of the Meet and Greet nothing to arrange it.  Just a way to meet other CC-ers.  So, while there is clearly some misunderstanding with who arranged what with whom.  In the end, it's about getting together with other cruisers to...well....meet and mingle.  Does it really matter who arranged it?

I've hosted a few M&Gs.  I know once I contacted NCL and they informed me someone had already sent in the paperwork for it, I was happy to let them do the leg work and just show up at the designated place and time.

@graphicguy
Again, I appreciate your reply and I promise not to "shoot" you. 😁
There is no clear misunderstanding, as there has been no communication!

While I most defintely understand the difference between starting a roll call and arranging a Meet and Greet, it has been clearly evident throughout my postings and replies to people on our roll call (since Nov. 2021) that I was doing the thing. 

If someone wanted to take it over, is it unreasonable of me to think they should at the very least post something about it, or contacted me through my posted email?  IMHO I think that would be the adult thing to do, especially since I have been doing all the "leg work" all this time. 👌🏼

Edited by afn10305
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Sounds like there could be some...uhhh, interesting conversations onboard. I hope someone starts a live to record the historic meeting of they who set up the meet and greet and they who wish they had been able to have that honor.

Alas, let this blow over, don't make it stress you. It's a cruise vacation. Enjoy!

@cruiseny4life
If they were to "step up" and SAY SOMETHING, I'd drop it.  Unfortunately-- nothing, nada, zilch, zero, zippo, and didley-squat in the way of any kind of communication since roll call was started in Nov. 2021! 😒

Finding THIS post at least allowed for me to get input from others that have had this happen to them.  

Also, consider the person that set it up might not even be on Cruise Critic. That has happened to me on previous sailings. It was well advertised somewhere else by the organizer who didn't even know about Cruise Critic. I helped advertise the Cruise Critic meet and greet, that was set up by a non Cruise Critic person, here on Cruise Critic. I didn't attend, so not sure how it went or the kind of turnout the other group had.

I did look at that other place for your sailing - there is no meet and greet being advertised there so my theory is probably null and void. But, tis a theory. Good luck, good person!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrsTocko said:

I do several different types.  I will have the unofficial at the sail away. People inevitably get busy and forget the official one.  I will also do the pub crawl. Just a couple extra opportunities to meet up.  I don’t care if you drink or not.

with regard to the specific situation that prompted my thread.  I talked to the coordinator that day, and while she couldn’t tell me, she knew who it was. A few days after I posted, I got a call from her that I was the new leader.  She recommended to send the request in as soon as you book.  Especially if you are an early booker. 

Each special events person handles multiple ships.  Jackie took care of me.  And when I was waiting to confirm for my cruise this April, (we had time and location shift due to itinerary change) I spoke with Jackie again, and she looked at all my cruises, and told me which ones I hadn’t even sent the request in on yet.  So I sent the request in, went to a different coordinator, and too early to request.  

@MrsTocko
Gail, thank you for posting this original thread and allowing me to vent. 🙏🏼 
I think the most aggravating thing about all of this is the utter lack of communication by whomever decided to hijack.

I have learned a tough lesson, and will no longer wait to make a request-- even if it's two years in advance!!!  I wouldn't dare send in a request though, unless I made it known on a roll call, whether I was the roll call starter or not. And since plans and itineraries do sometimes change, it is beholden of the requester to keep people informed. I've seen people who have "handed off" the M&G when they've decided not to book.

Anyway, I think COMMUNICATION is everything! EVERYTHING

8 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Also, consider the person that set it up might not even be on Cruise Critic. That has happened to me on previous sailings. It was well advertised somewhere else by the organizer who didn't even know about Cruise Critic. I helped advertise the Cruise Critic meet and greet, that was set up by a non Cruise Critic person, here on Cruise Critic. I didn't attend, so not sure how it went or the kind of turnout the other group had.

I did look at that other place for your sailing - there is no meet and greet being advertised there so my theory is probably null and void. But, tis a theory. Good luck, good person!

@cruiseny4life

Someone else mentioned that here about that OTHER social media site, which in our case does not exist. I was told specifically by NCL Special Events that it was indeed for a CC M&G.  I even asked them are you SURE it wasn't for another group, because anyone out there can make a request for a special event, but we all know here that a CC M&G is a bit different.

Thank you for your good luch wishes.  Fingers crossed that someone comes forward.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, afn10305 said:

@casofilia @ljrfrm @MrsTocko

I know I am replying to this over a year and a half after this thread, but The VERY SAME THING just happened to me yesterday and today for a cruise we are taking in October!!!

This is not our first M&G hosting, but I've always heard that 2-3 weeks ahead of sailing is when requests for CC M&G's should be made. We booked this cruise back in November of 2021 (almost 2 years ago) and not only did I start the roll call, but I made it pretty clear in the first post that I would be taking the lead on it. So naturally, you can imagine how completely SHOCKED I was to discover someone had already made the request.  "Gazumped" as you call it! 

Anyway, I got the exact same response from NCL's Special Events, no info about when or who made the request and only one CC M&G per sailing.  I also vented on our roll call this morning and I'm still hopeful the person who did it will email me personally so we can either co-host, or they can relinquish to me.  I also didn't want to call out anyone publicly, and honestly I can't be sure who did it, but mind you-- if they don't come forward, eventually everyone will know who it is unless like in one of your cases, they are no longer sailing.

See my rant post here --> 
https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2816315-ncl-pearl-october-6-2023-quebec-to-boston/?do=findComment&comment=66018369

I would be very interested in knowing how things eventually turned out for each of you, and would be grateful if you contacted me. 🙏🏼 I hope this is not becoming a trend.

Please feel free to email me at 
nclcruicin@gmail.com and thank you for an input you can give me.

I'm happy to explain what happened in my situation.  I had volunteered to organized the Meet & Greet and we had a whole Roll Call here on CC planning for it.  When I reached out to Special Events, they told me that someone had already arranged it.  It didn't appear to be anyone from CC, and my guess is it was from the group talking on the other social media platform. I explained to Special Events that we had a CC group planning to meet and can we still arrange it.  She told me they would only host one event. In my situation, she reached out to the person who already scheduled the M&G and ended up canceling their request and scheduling ours - prioritizing CC. She did tell me that the free M&G are for CC and not any other sites, and they would prioritize that. On my end, it wasn't so much that I wanted to organize it but more that we had a Roll Call planning to meet (with lots of people not on that other site) so wanted the venue to do so. For us, all worked out fine and we had a great time with the M&G scheduled through CC.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, afn10305 said:

@MrsTocko
I think the most aggravating thing about all of this is the utter lack of communication by whomever decided to hijack.

I have learned a tough lesson, and will no longer wait to make a request-- even if it's two years in advance!!!  I wouldn't dare send in a request though, unless I made it known on a roll call, whether I was the roll call starter or not. And since plans and itineraries do sometimes change, it is beholden of the requester to keep people informed. I've seen people who have "handed off" the M&G when they've decided not to book.

Just to add also, when I did schedule M&G, I always did so as soon as we had 25 people - so often it was pretty far out. I just found having the information to begin sharing with everyone sooner than later helped with planning for all.

@afn10305 I think ultimately all will be revealed.  Whoever made that contact will want attendance at their M&G (I thought there needed to be a minimum agreeing to attend before they would organize it) and I would think they will be looking to the CC roll call to build that list. 

If they're from some other site (somehow, somewhere) and have a list of people attending, I would hope NCL does as happened with @ljrfrm when they do their research and find that the one they had approved is not really a CC meeting...

I am not aware of any other sites that set up Meet and Greets with NCL that is being referred to.  Only one I know is Cruise Critic.

In the end, it's still all about getting together with like minded people who like to share our love of cruising.  Who hosts it, who arranges it, who communicates with anyone else really has no bearing on the Meet and Greet itself.

Me?  Not worth my my time and attention if someone else wants to do the paperwork, the communication, etc.  We can all get together, regardless of who initiated the M&G,  which is what we're all trying to do, anyway.

Show up, have a few snacks, have a few drinks, mingle with others, have a good time.  That's what I'd do.  The rest isn't worth fretting over.  Let whomever do the leg work.  Sit back and enjoy yourself.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ljrfrm said:

I'm happy to explain what happened in my situation.  I had volunteered to organized the Meet & Greet and we had a whole Roll Call here on CC planning for it.  When I reached out to Special Events, they told me that someone had already arranged it.  It didn't appear to be anyone from CC, and my guess is it was from the group talking on the other social media platform. I explained to Special Events that we had a CC group planning to meet and can we still arrange it.  She told me they would only host one event. In my situation, she reached out to the person who already scheduled the M&G and ended up canceling their request and scheduling ours - prioritizing CC. She did tell me that the free M&G are for CC and not any other sites, and they would prioritize that. On my end, it wasn't so much that I wanted to organize it but more that we had a Roll Call planning to meet (with lots of people not on that other site) so wanted the venue to do so. For us, all worked out fine and we had a great time with the M&G scheduled through CC.

@ljrfrm

Thank you for your reply. I am so happy to hear yours worked out well.  That's very similar to my roll call and what happened to me this week. Unfortunately, if you read my other replies here you'll see that is not the case in my situation, as there is no other social media page in existence.

The best that could happen would be that this hijacker responds somehow and we go forward from there. 

The NCL folks I spoke to thus far were not as helpful and actually told me that they could give me no other information and I would have to find out on my own who the other requester is!!!  I'm going to call NCL again and see if I get someone different and ask if they can reach out to that person.

47 minutes ago, ljrfrm said:

Just to add also, when I did schedule M&G, I always did so as soon as we had 25 people - so often it was pretty far out. I just found having the information to begin sharing with everyone sooner than later helped with planning for all.

Well see that's sort of the issue too.  I am like-minded, and we JUST reached 30, so I felt it was a good time to make the request.  I think because the itinerary is from Canada and during school season, there are less people on board.

1 hour ago, afn10305 said:

@MrsTocko

Absolutely - Communication…I think for mine, the other person may have cancelled, and then never told NCL.  So assuming that ncl investigated a little or contacted the other person and confirmed it.

I usually start with a guesstimate of 25 then confirm a real number later.

If someone else beats me to the punch so to speak, fine, it’s just knowing it, I do a few other things for the ones that I organize, that includes a little thank you to those attending, and for any of the officers/staff that interact with. I’m also happy to share any of the organizing with other people (gift exchange, poker crawl, slot pull…whatever). I scaled back, what I was willing to do, because I wasn’t enjoying it as much as I wanted to.

glad you had a place to vent, and sometimes that is all we need to do.  I’m hoping that it gets corrected for you. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MrsTocko said:

Absolutely - Communication…I think for mine, the other person may have cancelled, and then never told NCL.  So assuming that ncl investigated a little or contacted the other person and confirmed it.

I usually start with a guesstimate of 25 then confirm a real number later.

If someone else beats me to the punch so to speak, fine, it’s just knowing it, I do a few other things for the ones that I organize, that includes a little thank you to those attending, and for any of the officers/staff that interact with. I’m also happy to share any of the organizing with other people (gift exchange, poker crawl, slot pull…whatever). I scaled back, what I was willing to do, because I wasn’t enjoying it as much as I wanted to.

glad you had a place to vent, and sometimes that is all we need to do.  I’m hoping that it gets corrected for you. 

Gail, I think that's the best advice I can take today is to use the number 25 as a start and not wait to make the request. Another piece of advice I received today was to ask people to email me (for sure) of their interest in attending or "committing" to a M&G, and therefore, I would at least have their emails instead of just asking them to reply in the roll call.

You are a superwoman. I don't want to be responsible for all things, and in fact usually someone will step in and volunteer for other of those type events. I once hosted a M&G and a cabin crawl on the same cruise, and it was just too much for me.  I applaud you for knowing your limitations and scaling back. 👏🏼

Like you, if someone else requests first I have no problem, but then it's their responsibility to connect with others on the roll call, which isn't what's been happening.  Thank you again for allowing me to be here.  Truth is my darling hubby was upset for me, and HE found you all here.  😊 I'm hoping we get everything straightened out too. 🙏🏼

There are many people who post on a thread that don’t read the entire post. I’ve done several M&Gs over the years. Yes, I got priority boarding, meals in the Haven, & other privileges. I’ve left it to others for several years now. I love going to them though!

3 hours ago, joyy7403 said:

There are many people who post on a thread that don’t read the entire post. I’ve done several M&Gs over the years. Yes, I got priority boarding, meals in the Haven, & other privileges. I’ve left it to others for several years now. I love going to them though!

@joyy7403
Joyce, unfortunately, so true. :classic_sad:

There's also many people who don't understand how these forums work and are disappointed that the forums aren't quite as instant or user-friendly as some other social media sites which shall-not-be-named.

We've also hosted a few M&G's over the years and
only once got surprised later into the cruise getting any kind of perks like those, and that's when we booked a suite. More often we've gotten nothing else and go in without expectations of getting any "perks" for hosting.  That being said, my husband and I have been discussing this ad nauseum since the *hijacking* and he thinks it may actually depend on what ship you're on.  I really don't know.  

What I do know, is this person (whoever they are) is a coward. I've offered them a chance to communicate with me and since I'm trying to be as understanding as I can about this, I'm going to give them until Monday to make contact. If I don't get contacted, I'll be calling NCL again and letting them know this person has been non-communicative to the entire roll call and is unfit to host a Meet and Greet.  

Edited by afn10305