Bravo HAL! HAL gives Volendam to the Netherlands to house Ukranian refugees

slidergirl

I just saw a quick blurb on this today on one of the news channels.  
I guess "gives" isn't quite the right work - the government is chartering the Volendam.  It's docked in Rotterdam.

Those refugees will be given 3 meals/day, shown how to use housekeeping services, etc.  

They deserve the full treatment after the Hell on Earth they have been put through and survived.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, slidergirl said:

So sorry.  I hadn't seen anything before today and I searched the first few pages and didn't see it.  

Yeah, you missed it, and quite a discussion, too. Most had a reaction similar to yours. Some had complaints that Carnival Corporation was getting paid. And there were even more vociferous complaints for those who lost their cruises on the ship.

And there was also a poster from the Netherlands with some good first hand information.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Yeah, you missed it, and quite a discussion, too. Most had a reaction similar to yours. Some had complaints that Carnival Corporation was getting paid. And there were even more vociferous complaints for those who lost their cruises on the ship.

And there was also a poster from the Netherlands with some good first hand information.

Oh well.  I'm not much on HAL lately - getting ready for my Rhone canal barge cruise and flitting around Europe the month of July.  

• Like 2

Much better for HAL to rent ALL Cabins to Government, than 1/3 cabins sold to tourists. Better for refugees too.  HAL ships are currently staffed with only 2/3 crews....according to room steward on Koningsdam cruise last month, and 2/3 of ships cabins were empty.  I pray HAL will survive      in the competitive world of tourism. THEY ARE a terrific. affordable cruise line.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jsipes said:

Much better for HAL to rent ALL Cabins to Government, than 1/3 cabins sold to tourists. Better for refugees too.  HAL ships are currently staffed with only 2/3 crews....according to room steward on Koningsdam cruise last month, and 2/3 of ships cabins were empty.  I pray HAL will survive      in the competitive world of tourism. THEY ARE a terrific. affordable cruise line.

My guess is a whole lot of the people on board are using cruise credits from other trips cancelled the last two and a half years so HAL has little actual new cash coming in.  My group has about given up sailing and shifted to land tours where we have a little more control over things.  So far, I'm about $6,000 in the hole from various airline penalties, expired credits, refused refunds, etc.  Still waiting to hear from various supposed insurance coverages.