Onboard the Apex (April 9-16): Ask Me Anything

schittenden

Thanks for this thread. I'm sure everyone appreciates you taking the time to answer questions.

I have one of my own. On another thread here there's a question about be whether the HVAC control panel in your IV cabin has a setting called ECO. If so, is it activated? Is it apparent what that setting does? I think it turns the fan on and off once the desired temperature is set,but I'm not 100% sure. The question was raised in conjunction with the discussion that the AC turns off once the window is lowered and someone is thinking that the ECO setting is the default and if that setting is turned off the AC will stay on when the window is lowered. I begged to differ.

5 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Yes!  Assuming nothing changed they're self serve on a tray with tongs

Nothing is self-serve. All of the items were served. Unfortunately, I was disappointed in the cinnamon rolls. They’re basically identical to the ones in the buffet. They weren’t baked-to-order and were barely warm. The dough was rough and the cinnamon mixture was a bit dry. I’ve definitely had much better and indeed, make much better. 

The steak and egg bagel was better but the bagel lacked the crunchy exterior that a good bagel has and the arugula was reheated with the sandwich, making for stringy wilted greens. Still tasty though. 

3 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Thanks for this thread. I'm sure everyone appreciates you taking the time to answer questions.

I have one of my own. On another thread here there's a question about be whether the HVAC control panel in your IV cabin has a setting called ECO. If so, is it activated? Is it apparent what that setting does? I think it turns the fan on and off once the desired temperature is set,but I'm not 100% sure. The question was raised in conjunction with the discussion that the AC turns off once the window is lowered and someone is thinking that the ECO setting is the default and if that setting is turned off the AC will stay on when the window is lowered. I begged to differ.

There is not an eco setting. There is a Go Green setting when you click the gear icon on the screen. It was off. When I turned it on, it started to roll up the balcony window. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, schittenden said:

Nothing is self-serve. All of the items were served. Unfortunately, I was disappointed in the cinnamon rolls. They’re basically identical to the ones in the buffet. They weren’t baked-to-order and were barely warm. The dough was rough and the cinnamon mixture was a bit dry. I’ve definitely had much better and indeed, make much better. 

The steak and egg bagel was better but the bagel lacked the crunchy exterior that a good bagel has and the arugula was reheated with the sandwich, making for stringy wilted greens. Still tasty though. 

Did you try the cookies and brownies?  They were the only thing that were self serve and were only out during lunch.  This was on the Edge this past  ̶J̶u̶l̶y̶ June

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

Just now, NutsAboutGolf said:

Did you try the cookies and brownies?  They were the only thing that were self serve and were only out during lunch.  This was on the Edge this past July

No. We were there at breakfast. Intend to go back for lunch on the next sea day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here are some pics/videos form Crystallize last night. According the cruise director, it was the world premiere of Crystallize 2.0. Having never seen the original, I don’t know what was different. The front row though was filled with producers, costume designers, and other staff from Las Vegas and elsewhere who worked on the show. We were impressed and thought it was quite good. The vocalist were good to great. The inclusion of current pop and well-known older songs in a Cirque du Soleil-style show was entertaining. Some truly amazing feats of strength, even if it is all pretty common for those who have enjoyed cirque shows in the past. I also appreciated the live (and good) band and the very visible presence of the violinist in the show. 

9D2867E8-C887-4302-BCE7-65C0F2F7D6A5.jpeg

81CC40B9-844C-4A24-9FAA-AB9578377C22.jpeg

3285CF61-F454-4EF0-9A18-2B15F0372C5C.jpeg

74C38BCA-D008-4315-89D4-AF8486A25512.jpeg

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, schittenden said:

Just docked in San Juan. Met at the port by an ambulance. Watched a stretcher come on board almost immediately after docking. 

8E6889C0-D3E4-403A-9FE4-5EEB1F2CF89A.jpeg

Looks like an elderly gentleman on the stretcher. His wife (I’m assuming) and two suitcases going with him in the ambulance. The crew helping the woman appear to be very compassionate. Here’s hoping he’s okay. 

On 4/10/2022 at 6:16 AM, TMaine said:

What are your observations and opinions about the infinite veranda? 

On the Apex right now. I dislike the infinite veranda. It's just like having a big window, not a veranda. Having said that, if I wanted the itinerary and the trip fit in my schedule I would still sail on an E class because The ship is beautiful and has a lot of other positives

• Like 1

On 4/10/2022 at 5:35 PM, jmadds said:

Hope you have an amazing time! We're getting on next week as you get off. Do you know if they are running Chefs Table, Veuve Cliquot dinner or Dinner on the Edge? If so any prices would be so helpful. Thanks! 

The Veuve Cliquot Dinner is $199 plus 20% gratuity.IMG_20220403_180818334.thumb.jpg.7fa71c9b9888d7f062141db74ba55b9a.jpg

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, schittenden said:

Was that left in your cabin? I haven’t seen it. I also don’t know where the wine bar is. 

I agree I've never seen a card like that on the Edge or Apex. There is no Wine Bar on E-Class ships. If you look at the listed events on the card they're either in one of the MDRs or Eden Bar. 

8 hours ago, newtampagirl said:

The Veuve Cliquot Dinner is $199 plus 20% gratuity.IMG_20220403_180818334.thumb.jpg.7fa71c9b9888d7f062141db74ba55b9a.jpg

Has anyone done the $250 + 20% gratuity Champagne tasting? I'm wondering how much and which wines they're pouring to justify that cost. Like, Grande Dame is good, but it's not THAT good.

On 4/9/2022 at 2:35 PM, schittenden said:

Elevators have definitely been crowded. 10-12 people in the aft elevators. Forward elevators were less full the one time we used it. The concierge lunch wasn’t crowded at all. The buffet was busy when we went through. Other areas haven’t seemed particularly crowded. I have heard they expect 2300 guests, but that was from someone else online. So, that would be about 79% capacity. 

If you look at the rated capacity for the elevators it is 29 people.  🤷‍♂️10 to 12 isn’t even 1/2 full.  🤗

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

On 4/10/2022 at 9:32 PM, bandp407 said:

Thanks for taking us along ! hope you, your wife & son have a great cruise! We were on the Reflection 2 weeks ago & the Apex was docked next to us in Cozumel. She really looks beautiful!!!

Yes, very curious about your view on the infinite verandas. DH & I will be on the Beyond end of Nov- our first E class. We booked the sunset veranda. 

I would love to know if there is anywhere to find the menus for the 4 restaurants? I may contact the Captains Club? We have select dining but enjoy having the same wait staff each night of the cruise.  With the tables for 2, how is the table spacing in each of the 4 restaurants?

Many thanks & enjoy! 

Not sure how helpful this is but here is a link to all of the menus used on the Edge. Apex is the same. The only one that I know is not current is Eden. Apex has always had a different Eden menu and the Edge recently changed to the Apex Eden menu. Should give you an idea, although its not delineated by day. But its fun to look at !!

Celebrity Edge Menus | Celebrity Cruises Press Center

mac_tlc

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

Not sure how helpful this is but here is a link to all of the menus used on the Edge. Apex is the same. The only one that I know is not current is Eden. Apex has always had a different Eden menu and the Edge recently changed to the Apex Eden menu. Should give you an idea, although its not delineated by day. But its fun to look at !!

Celebrity Edge Menus | Celebrity Cruises Press Center

mac_tlc

Mac_tlc - thank you so very much!  This was extremely helpful & yes fun to look at. Finally I've been able to give my husband and understanding of how the dining works on the "E" class ships! 

Curious - do you have a room that you prefer? I assume you are or have been on the Apex? 

Regards from a former Tarrytown couple! We were neighbors!

6 minutes ago, bandp407 said:

Mac_tlc - thank you so very much!  This was extremely helpful & yes fun to look at. Finally I've been able to give my husband and understanding of how the dining works on the "E" class ships! 

Curious - do you have a room that you prefer? I assume you are or have been on the Apex? 

Regards from a former Tarrytown couple! We were neighbors!

We have been on Edge four times and Apex once. The last couple times we were in a suite but still visited the MDR. We like Normandie. The Gruyere tart and Rack of Pork are wonderful. I highly recommend lunch at Le Grand Bistro ($20pp). Worth every penny and they gave us a box of assorted bread and pastry for a "late night" snack!

The 4 dining room idea is so much better than the huge dining rooms on other ships. 

We are still here in CT much of the time because the kids/grandkids/cats are here ! Trying to spend a little more time in FL since we retired. 

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc

9 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

We have been on Edge four times and Apex once. The last couple times we were in a suite but still visited the MDR. We like Normandie. The Gruyere tart and Rack of Pork are wonderful. I highly recommend lunch at Le Grand Bistro ($20pp). Worth every penny and they gave us a box of assorted bread and pastry for a "late night" snack!

The 4 dining room idea is so much better than the huge dining rooms on other ships. 

We are still here in CT much of the time because the kids/grandkids/cats are here ! Trying to spend a little more time in FL since we retired. 

mac_tlc

You obviously enjoy the Edge class!   The suites are not in our price range, but we booked a sunset veranda for our Beyond sailing in November. Really looking forward to it. Hopefully there will be great music as we really enjoy dancing!! 

Thanks again for all of your input!

• Like 1

Hello! We are sailing on this cruise too….. 

Did you happen to hear the number of covid cases the captain mentioned? We were at dinner and only heard a part of his announcement…. I thought he said 9 passengers and 50ish crew? Thanks