Using a credit card to buy CruiseNext deposits?

CazualCruzer

Does anyone know if it’s possible to pay separately, using a credit card, for CruiseNext deposits whilst on board?  I’d like to buy a few as a surprise for the better half, and I don’t want her seeing them on the bill! TIA. 

An alternative to purchasing CruiseNext certificates while on board (and to avoid them showing up on your online account), could be to purchase what is called a CruiseFirst certificate. Much of the conditions for purchase and use are similar to the CruiseNext certificates, especially that the value of the certificate is twice what you pay for them.

A couple of months ago, I wanted to book a cruise for 2023, and didn't have any CruiseNext certificates left to use as deposit as my last NCL cruise was in 2019. So I was prepared to pay the regular deposit with a credit card, but then my NCL cruise consultant adviced me to purchase a CruiseFirst certificate instead. Paid $250, value of the certificate is $500, and the entire value was added to my reservation. 

https://www.ncl.com/fr/en/terms/cruisefirst

Edited by TrumpyNor

On 4/9/2022 at 2:30 PM, TrumpyNor said:

An alternative to purchasing CruiseNext certificates while on board (and to avoid them showing up on your online account), could be to purchase what is called a CruiseFirst certificate. Much of the conditions for purchase and use are similar to the CruiseNext certificates, especially that the value of the certificate is twice what you pay for them.

A couple of months ago, I wanted to book a cruise for 2023, and didn't have any CruiseNext certificates left to use as deposit as my last NCL cruise was in 2019. So I was prepared to pay the regular deposit with a credit card, but then my NCL cruise consultant adviced me to purchase a CruiseFirst certificate instead. Paid $250, value of the certificate is $500, and the entire value was added to my reservation. 

I wish I had known about this. Why don’t they tell you this when you are booking a cruise?

On 4/9/2022 at 3:30 PM, TrumpyNor said:

Wow...I never knew that. We always buy them when we are on the ship. I presume they have offers on all the time as the current one expires at the end of April 2022. I will certainly keep an eye on that. Thanks for the tip.

20 minutes ago, janice2348 said:

I wish I had known about this. Why don’t they tell you this when you are booking a cruise?

Hmmm.  Perhaps because it cuts into their profits.  

Some agents do mention it.  I had one that did. 

The CruiseFirst terms sometimes change too. Right now, it is pay $150 to get a $300 certificate.  And, as mentioned above, read the terms closely because you can’t use them for every reservation.  Eligible Cruises have to meet certain conditions. 

Edited by MeHeartCruising

I was just coming here to ask a question about CruiseNext Deposits and found this right away.

We were on the Getaway March 27 - Apr 3.  We purchased 4 CruiseNext Deposits.

When we got off the Getaway we immediately went to Cape Liberty and got on the Anthem of the Seas for a week.

When we got home Sunday I was checking our account for our CruiseNext Deposits.  They are not on there.

Does anybody have any idea who I should contact first to try and figure out what happened to them?

Thanks.

33 minutes ago, hallux said:

@MrsK I would start with the email they have listed in the T&C's for CruiseNext - https://www.ncl.com/popup/cruisenext_terms?hide_hf=true

cruisenext@ncl.com

For what it's worth, by the time I checked during the next week the deposits I purchased during my cruise on the Joy in March had already posted to my account...

Thanks for the email. I will start with that.

Also for the link on their site.  Sometimes that stuff is not so easy to find.

Edited by MrsK

2 hours ago, MrsK said:

I was just coming here to ask a question about CruiseNext Deposits and found this right away.

We were on the Getaway March 27 - Apr 3.  We purchased 4 CruiseNext Deposits.

When we got off the Getaway we immediately went to Cape Liberty and got on the Anthem of the Seas for a week.

When we got home Sunday I was checking our account for our CruiseNext Deposits.  They are not on there.

Does anybody have any idea who I should contact first to try and figure out what happened to them?

Thanks.

It can take up to two weeks for them to post.  It usually only takes a few days after the cruise though.  If you are concerned email crusienext@ncl.com  That is how you try TO figure it out.

for those interested in "cruise first" certificates, you can actually buy them from your cruise consultant when you book your cruise. the rep will process a cruise first transaction for $150 or $250 (depending on current offer) and then immediately apply the full value ($300 or $500) to your balance, reducing the amount of any additional payment required.

the additional payment will show up as a separate credit card charge.

31 minutes ago, tedbearz said:

Can you combine a Cruise first with a Cruise next?

No.   "CruiseFirst certificates are not combinable with CruiseNext, chartered sailings, barter cruises, employee discounts, friends and family pricing, Sailaway (categories: IX, OX, BX, MX), interline and travel agent rates."

15 hours ago, UKstages said:

for those interested in "cruise first" certificates, you can actually buy them from your cruise consultant when you book your cruise. the rep will process a cruise first transaction for $150 or $250 (depending on current offer) and then immediately apply the full value ($300 or $500) to your balance, reducing the amount of any additional payment required.

Currently, only if your cruise is 4 months out. "CruiseFirst certificates are valid for new reservations ONLY that book and sail within 3 years of original certificate purchase date. Voyage date must be more than 120 days from original purchase date.

CruiseFirst | Vacation Savings | Norwegian Cruise Line (ncl.com)

• Like 1

Well that's annoying.  I just booked and paid for a cruise in December and my consultant didn't mention it. Not quite sure what benefit I get from using the one that was assigned to me if he isn't going to find me the best deal.  I might as well just book online.

15 minutes ago, argyll1881 said:

Well that's annoying.  I just booked and paid for a cruise in December and my consultant didn't mention it. Not quite sure what benefit I get from using the one that was assigned to me if he isn't going to find me the best deal.  I might as well just book online.

Might not be available in the UK.  Current offer says USD, CAD, AUD, and NZD - so you'll need to check the UK site to see if there is anything.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me find my missing CruiseNext deposits.

They have been found.

Right after I sent an email to the CruiseNext department I had a thought of where they might possibly be.

In the past anything like that has been attached to my account since I do all of the cruise bookings.  On a hunch I wondered if they had been put on my husband's account this time instead.   That is where they are.

So, I had to forward a disclaimer to "Disregard my first email" ! 😉

Thanks again for trying to help out.