Single cruiser buffet issue..

csoud68

On 4/13/2022 at 6:31 AM, csoud68 said:

I look for an empty table, put my silverware and drink on it, and when I come back to the table its always occupied .

My stuff is pushed over and a group of people are always there looking all innocent. 

This obviously never happens if I'm with someone but it is infuriating when I just want to eat my breakfast..

Any ideas on how this can be prevented. 

It's no fun when people mess with your things! 

For that reason, I bring a book on every cruise and put it in my bag I carry around with me. I pick up a water or coffee, leave it on my table with my book, and no one has ever removed my belongings or taken the table.  On one cruise, a charming woman from the UK called me Book Girl whenever she saw me because we sat in the same section frequently and she'd see me reading around the ship.  

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/13/2022 at 4:28 PM, rkacruiser said:

No!  Drink first; food second.  If it's the reverse, the food will have cooled.  

I dont mind luke warm food as i got quite used to that on the Indian continent. Guess its a matter of personal pref.  I would  be inclined to join them if there is even a single seat there, and hope it doesnt make things Aaaawkward - but thats just me 😉

I score a room service tray on day 1, and keep it.  It goes in my day bag with my book and Yeti.  At the buffet.  I pile the tray full of more than I'll eat, add coffee, beverage, two sets of cutlery.  At the table I unload the tray and it goes back in my bag.

• Like 1

I am an early riser and usually have my breakfast in the buffet soon after 7am. It is quiet then without the congestion of an hour later. Even so, I have had my part-eaten food cleared from the table while fetching a drink!

• 5 months later...

• 1 month later...

Even when I don't need a sweater or a jacket, I bring one to the buffet with me and drape it over the back of my chair. I also bring my refillable water bottle and leave it at the table when I get up for food. (Which serves a dual purpose, since I'm going to want to refill it while I'm at the buffet.) I've never had anyone take my table while I was gone.

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

Bring a big bag and put it on the table. Anything small, and rude people will push it out of the way or pretend they didn't see it--I saw this happen on embarkation on Cunard, with a really angry person. Or drape a coat, or print out a sign saying "OCCUPIED". It's not only rude passengers, but also crew who take away my plate and drinks when I'm just going for something else, even if I'm not finished. It's not just being solo, and it's not always deliberate, because I've found myself wondering if a table is still occupied, if there's an empty plate and half-finished drink but no sign of a person. It's the same as with a deck chair with a towel on it--nobody knows if somebody is coming back or not, unless there's something clearly visible left. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2022 at 7:21 PM, lenquixote66 said:

Have you ever sat down at an empty table and a person asked if there was a seat not taken ? I have many times.You could ask the person to hold your place there could you not ?

I did that once and the woman I asked gave me a look that could literally kill. She never said a word just a horrible look

On 4/11/2023 at 6:54 PM, solofriendly said:

Even when I don't need a sweater or a jacket, I bring one to the buffet with me and drape it over the back of my chair. I also bring my refillable water bottle and leave it at the table when I get up for food. (Which serves a dual purpose, since I'm going to want to refill it while I'm at the buffet.) I've never had anyone take my table while I was gone.

Great idea