Quebec City in less than a day?

RN_Prof

Our cruise is leaving Quebec City on a Friday at 4pm.  I want to fly in on Thursday, but it is a challenge to get away from work that soon in the week (I am a professor and have to vacation during school break [which is the following week]). Is it possible to walk around and get the flavor of Quebec City before boarding the ship or should I really try to fly in on Wednesday and have a whole day in Quebec city?

• Like 1

The first question I would ask is whether the vessel is actually departing on Friday, or it merely available for boarding on Friday with an actual departure on Saturday. Many, and probably most, cruise vessels originating or terminating in Québec schedule three days in port, with passengers allowed two days in the city, sleeping overnight on the vessel while docked in port. If the vessel is actually departing on Friday, then logistically there would be nothing wrong with your arriving on Thursday, or even on Friday morning if the transportation into Québec is reliable. But if your question goes beyond logistics, and relates solely to whether one can "see" all of Québec in a very short time, then it becomes harder to answer. Some people will say that a lifetime is too short see all of Québec, so the amount of time needed is really a balancing of perception and interests with the availability of one's time. The city is important historically, and the walled part of it is European design, with much charm. I am particularly enamored with urban design and transportation, it is a great to place to visit and see (there's even a funicular railway there connecting the lower port area with the Château Frontenac at the top of the hill, and outside the city center a scenic passenger rail route along the river). I would want to spend as much time as I could there, but for each person it really comes down to individually identifying what it is that is of interest and disinterest to make the judgment.

12 hours ago, RN_Prof said:

Is it possible to walk around and get the flavor of Quebec City before boarding the ship or should I really try to fly in on Wednesday and have a whole day in Quebec city?

The short answer is yes-- you can walk through the major tourist areas and get a flavor for the city. Its not a large city from a footprint standpoint and if you stick to the major things you can shuffle by them quickly. 

I'm not a huge fan of bus tours but there are double decker tours which might help speed things up for you and help you cover more ground. At very least I would make sure to get over to the Citadelle (I believe the Changing of the Guard ceremony is still suspended), the adjacent Plains of Abraham, Terasse Dufferin, Chateau Frontenac, the funicular down to the lower old town, and then walk around there. 

A personal favorite for dinner is Le Continental which specializes in flambe and tableside preparations. A fun throwback and the food is very good. The bar at the Chateau is also a favorite (although I liked it more before the renovation). 

You can also spend the night at the Chateau Frontenac which sort of ticks off one of the major attractions in itself. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If you stay the night before in a hotel near the Old port of Qc city, you will at least be able to walk around Old Quebec which is fabulous.  You will also be able to visit the Chateau Frontenac.   If you want to see more of Qc city, you will need that extra day.

We spent a short time pre-cruise and felt like we saw and experience a good easy overview.

We stayed at the Auberge Place d' Armes (with a view of) right across from the Frontenac. A wonderful small hotel with a great location...walking distance to everything we wanted to see.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2022 at 5:52 PM, RN_Prof said:

Our cruise is leaving Quebec City on a Friday at 4pm.  I want to fly in on Thursday, but it is a challenge to get away from work that soon in the week (I am a professor and have to vacation during school break [which is the following week]). Is it possible to walk around and get the flavor of Quebec City before boarding the ship or should I really try to fly in on Wednesday and have a whole day in Quebec city?

Life is short.  Fly in on Wednesday.  QC is SO worth it!

• 1 month later...
On 4/20/2022 at 8:52 PM, RN_Prof said:

RN Prof  I would recommend flying in early Wednesday and enjoy the beautiful city.

You indicated your most likely flying in on Thursday and leaving on Friday.  Most cruise lines stay one or two nights when in port.   Logistics will be important consideration from the new terminal (which opens in August) when trying to get to Old Town.  A quick review of a map reveals the new terminal is the located in Port of Quebec with railroad lines servicing the commercial ships.  The old cruise (Pier 22) was much closer and conveniently located near Old Town. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lois R said:

Would any be so kind as to recommend a hotel for 1 night pre cruise? Sailing in October, Quebec to New York.

Thanks!

People love to hate on the Chateau Frontenac but if you had one night to stay in Quebec why wouldn't you want to stay in the city's icon if it fit in your budget?

10 hours ago, Lois R said:

Would any be so kind as to recommend a hotel for 1 night pre cruise? Sailing in October, Quebec to New York.

Thanks!

Consider my post #5....Loved this hotel and location.

10 hours ago, jsn55 said:

What are your parameters for a hotel?  QC has hundreds of them.  Please tell us if you're looking for something specific.

Good morning, sorry I wasn't more specific.......I have never visited there before. I arrive 1 day early from my cruise but my flight gets in about 3:45.......so not sure how far the airport is from "the city". Something in 300.00 range per night is fine........near something local for dinner😃

On 5/24/2022 at 2:24 PM, Ashland said:

We spent a short time pre-cruise and felt like we saw and experience a good easy overview.

We stayed at the Auberge Place d' Armes (with a view of) right across from the Frontenac. A wonderful small hotel with a great location...walking distance to everything we wanted to see.

This looks lovely!

We spent a week at the Quebec Hilton ... I'm a 'Hilton person' and enjoy the way they take such good care of me.  We could walk all over QC from there.  That's usually my main criteria, just being able to walk out the door and 'see the sights'.  Lots of people want more warmth and charm from a hotel, but we've been travelling for 40 years, and now we just want good service and comfort.  Hilton always delivers. 

13 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

We spent a week at the Quebec Hilton ... I'm a 'Hilton person' and enjoy the way they take such good care of me.  We could walk all over QC from there.  That's usually my main criteria, just being able to walk out the door and 'see the sights'.  Lots of people want more warmth and charm from a hotel, but we've been travelling for 40 years, and now we just want good service and comfort.  Hilton always delivers. 

One of my closest friends is also a "Hilton Person". I will check it out. They never really did anything for me but I am not opposed to staying at one. Sometimes I prefer A "local place" when traveling.

I'm laughing ... we always refer to Hiltons as 'the masters of ugly'.  Horrendously patterned carpet, seriously ugly furnishings ... like each hotel tries to outdo the others.  The Quebec Hilton is one of those tall bland towers with no redeeming architectural value whatsoever.  We think that Hilton must have a whole team of people with no taste, and they source everything "they like" when building or renovating a hotel.  But it's all VERY comfortable, and Hilton people receive the very best training in hospitality. 

On 5/24/2022 at 2:24 PM, Ashland said:

I booked a room with them today.🙂 VERY reasonable in price as well! And includes breakfast too!

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

I booked a room with them today.🙂 VERY reasonable in price as well! And includes breakfast too!

You'll love this little hotel...so charming....Enjoy !!!

When you stand in front look up to the right we had that corner window room on first (really second floor).

59 minutes ago, Ashland said:

You'll love this little hotel...so charming....Enjoy !!!

When you stand in front look up to the right we had that corner window room on first (really second floor).

Thanks, do you happen to recall how much a cab ride costs from the airport to the hotel?

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Thanks, do you happen to recall how much a cab ride costs from the airport to the hotel?

No, sorry I don't and more than likely it's changed from when we were there last.

But do have the hotel call a taxi for you when you're ready to leave...they give your taxi the number of the room you're staying in and then wait out front watch for the taxi and he'll say for room # ??

6 hours ago, Lois R said:

This hotel is located in the downtown fixed price zone. The fare from the airport is 34.25 CAD.

10 hours ago, Qcsailor said:

This hotel is located in the downtown fixed price zone. The fare from the airport is 34.25 CAD.

Thank you🙂

On 7/13/2022 at 9:16 AM, Lois R said:

I was going to book this hotel (It does look charming, centrally located and priced right)…unfortunately, it doesn’t have an elevator and I pack way to heavy to lug cases up stairs, so I chose Hotel 71, which is also well reviewed.  I’m am really looking forward to my upcoming stay in Quebec City.