Voltage Converter/ Adapter for UK? (London)

nini

Voltage is 240v, your appliance might be dual voltage.

If not, you'll need a voltage converter built into the plug converter or in addition to the plug converter.

This is what a UK plug looks like

10 x Standard UK Fused 13A 13 Amp White Mains 3 Pin Houshold Plug Tops  5055559137443 | eBay

and the wall  socket looks like this

China 13A 3 Square Pin Switch Socket - China Socket, Electrical Socket

Best to buy from an electrical store where staff are knowledgeable, rather than figure for yourself on-line or Target-type store

If a voltage converter is a problem, hotel rooms normally have a hair-dryer.

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull

If you do not get a voltage converter, you will fry  your hair dryer.  These  typically cost more,  but can be bought at Amazon.  Even better, get one when you get there at a shop who specializes in converters. 

Edited by milolii

On 4/21/2022 at 12:49 PM, nini said:

Staying in London for three nights will require me to use my own styling hair dryer. What do we need to purchase for the power outlets? Suggestions?

Thanks!

If you can possibly avoid it, I would highly recommend NOT bringing a hair dryer from home. Are you sure that your hotel doesn't supply one?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, milolii said:

If you do not get a voltage converter, you will fry  your hair dryer.  These  typically cost more,  but can be bought at Amazon.  Even better, get one when you get there at a shop who specializes in converters. 

Yes, I realize that, thus the question.

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

If you can possibly avoid it, I would highly recommend NOT bringing a hair dryer from home. Are you sure that your hotel doesn't supply one?

I realize that most hotels have hair dryers. The tool I use is a Revlon Hair Brush which dries while styling. I am afraid that I am not coordinated enough to use a round brush and separate hair dryer at the same time.... thus, the Revlon hot air brush.

On 4/21/2022 at 10:18 AM, John Bull said:

Voltage is 240v, your appliance might be dual voltage.

If not, you'll need a voltage converter built into the plug converter or in addition to the plug converter.

This is what a UK plug looks like

10 x Standard UK Fused 13A 13 Amp White Mains 3 Pin Houshold Plug Tops  5055559137443 | eBay

and the wall  socket looks like this

China 13A 3 Square Pin Switch Socket - China Socket, Electrical Socket

Best to buy from an electrical store where staff are knowledgeable, rather than figure for yourself on-line or Target-type store

If a voltage converter is a problem, hotel rooms normally have a hair-dryer.

JB 🙂

Yes, thank you. We can order one from Amazon.

Last time we were in the USA, my wife forsaw the saw problem in reverse (slow and cool hair dryer),s o first day there we popped in to Walmart and bought a $20 hairdryer. Works fine and we've got it for future holidays. You are bound to be able to pick up a cheapish hair dryer near you hotel in London.

Simon

2 hours ago, sddsddean said:

Last time we were in the USA, my wife forsaw the saw problem in reverse (slow and cool hair dryer),s o first day there we popped in to Walmart and bought a $20 hairdryer. Works fine and we've got it for future holidays. You are bound to be able to pick up a cheapish hair dryer near you hotel in London.

Simon

Thank you for your comment, however, it is not a hairdryer that I am trying to convert. It is the Revlon Volumizer.  It dries your hair, but it does so with a large brush - it is not the typical hair dryer. Most hotels already have hair dryers.

1 hour ago, nini said:

Thank you for your comment, however, it is not a hairdryer that I am trying to convert. It is the Revlon Volumizer.  It dries your hair, but it does so with a large brush - it is not the typical hair dryer. Most hotels already have hair dryers.

This is from the Amazon information for the Volumizer Plus 2.0. Look at the 6th picture with care instructions. 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B096SVJZSW/ref=syn_sd_onsite_mobileweb_216?ie=UTF8&adId=200042422528198&qualifier=1650813397&id=3490168311050098&widget=sd_onsite_mobileweb&spPl=1&psc=1&pd_rd_plhdr=t

It says not to use it with a converter. I would check your warnings if you have the original model; I would expect them to be similar. 

31 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

This is from the Amazon information for the Volumizer Plus 2.0. Look at the 6th picture with care instructions. 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B096SVJZSW/ref=syn_sd_onsite_mobileweb_216?ie=UTF8&adId=200042422528198&qualifier=1650813397&id=3490168311050098&widget=sd_onsite_mobileweb&spPl=1&psc=1&pd_rd_plhdr=t

It says not to use it with a converter. I would check your warnings if you have the original model; I would expect them to be similar. 

Yes, even though this is not what I own, this is what I have found for all of the converters as well... they say NOT to use any hairdryers of any kind. So, at least we are only in the hotel 3 nights and I will figure out something. Maybe DH can help out... one can hold the hair dryer from hotel and one can hold a round brush LOL

25 minutes ago, nini said:

Yes, even though this is not what I own, this is what I have found for all of the converters as well... they say NOT to use any hairdryers of any kind. So, at least we are only in the hotel 3 nights and I will figure out something. Maybe DH can help out... one can hold the hair dryer from hotel and one can hold a round brush LOL

If you are planning on travelling more in Europe in the future this dual voltage volumizer might be helpful (make sure that you select one of the dual voltage ones; both single and dual are on the same page)

https://www.amazon.com/Plavogue-One-Step-Volumizer-Straightener-International/dp/B08NJPCK4H/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3JU9UESK8Q564&keywords=dual%2Bvoltage%2Bvolumizer%2B220v&qid=1650817403&sprefix=dual%2Bvoltage%2Bvolumizer%2Caps%2C79&sr=8-1&th=1