Independence of the Seas

We have not sailed on Royal for many years as we usually do Celebrity. Taking a 4 night in June. First wondering if when we board (11:00) will we be able to drop our carry on luggage in our room? (We can do this on Celebrity). Also what condition is the ship in? We were last on her 8 years ago. (Just wondering if she is looking old). Thanks for any info!

We have sailed Indy 3 times since the restart. I found her to be in good shape. Some area are worn, but overall fine. You are not able to drop luggage off in cabins. We had no access until they opened them around 2 pm.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SECdawg said:

We have sailed Indy 3 times since the restart. I found her to be in good shape. Some area are worn, but overall fine. You are not able to drop luggage off in cabins. We had no access until they opened them around 2 pm.

Thank you! 

We are sailing in May and if you don't mind spending a little extra cash check out "The Key". It comes with some perks and dropping off your carry on luggage is one of them. They put it right in the room for you! It also comes with internet and lunch from Chops Grille and few other perks. We were already going to purchase the internet package anyway and the key wasn't much more!

4 hours ago, lovelife said:

We are currently docked next to Indie at Coco Cay. We did the test cruise on her back in August and she was great. Enjoy!

20220426_092945.jpg

Your post excited me just a little bit…we are making our first trip on IOTS next week.  Our previous RCL experiences were both on Mariner.

Just got the email from the Concierge…

To the OP…and everyone cruising…hope your trips are great!!!

Edited by TexasRon

Just came from 3 day cruise on independence , I loved the cruise. Its worn out here and there but it has so much to offer. Loved the water slides, kids splash area , sky pad , mini golf etc. Also saw the grease concert which was lovely.

Your rooms will be ready around 2.00 pm. You can drop off your bags for check in before boarding the cruise if needed

18 minutes ago, sree_cruising said:

Just came from 3 day cruise on independence , I loved the cruise. Its worn out here and there but it has so much to offer. Loved the water slides, kids splash area , sky pad , mini golf etc. Also saw the grease concert which was lovely.

Your rooms will be ready around 2.00 pm. You can drop off your bags for check in before boarding the cruise if needed

Glad you enjoyed it! I'm familiar with all it has to offer, just haven't been on Freedom or Voyager class in a while (we find them very similar). Looking forward to some of the newer add-ons like Playmakers, mostly just to try that cookie dessert. 🙂 It will be nice to have a pool in the Solarium again as well since Harmony doesn't have one.

• 1 month later...
On 6/8/2022 at 9:17 PM, Royally Ready to cruise said:

Will be on Indie on August 5. Our very first RCCL cruise.  Traveling with a 5 year.   Any tips would be greatly appreciated.  Ty!!!   

I'll be on the June 17th sailing and love this ship.  It will be my 5th time sailing on Indy.  Great size ship but not huge like some of the Oasis class of ships.  The staff are really engaged I thought too.  Have fun.  Let me know if you've any questions.

29 minutes ago, Surfguyxxx said:

I'll be on the June 17th sailing and love this ship.  It will be my 5th time sailing on Indy.  Great size ship but not huge like some of the Oasis class of ships.  The staff are really engaged I thought too.  Have fun.  Let me know if you've any questions.

Not the OP but doing a B2B on Indy next month. First Freedom-class cruise in 7 years after nothing but Oasis-class (and one Radiance cruise in Alaska).

Any thoughts on WJ? Is there an omelet station for breakfast? Cook-to-order station for lunch/dinner?

Any other non-specialty food thoughts in general? We're not big fans of the MDR for dinner.

How's the solarium?

Thanks.

1 minute ago, OCSC Mike said:

Not the OP but doing a B2B on Indy next month. First Freedom-class cruise in 7 years after nothing but Oasis-class (and one Radiance cruise in Alaska).

Any thoughts on WJ? Is there an omelet station for breakfast? Cook-to-order station for lunch/dinner?

Any other non-specialty food thoughts in general? We're not big fans of the MDR for dinner.

How's the solarium?

Thanks.

The Windjammer was ok and the staff, most of them, were really helpful.  There is an omelet station but for some reason it takes forever; 10 minutes or more.  I usually grabbed a Ham and Cheese omelet which they made right there and put out to grab.  There was a station for some speciality foods but I didn't use it.  I remember Fajitas one afternoon.  Their bagels were horrible but there was always some fresh Lox (salmon) to help alleviate that issues  LOL.  I very much enjoyed the abundance of fresh fruits that was served for breakfast but your normal fare was there; bacon, sausages (both port and chicken), hash browns, some carved meats etc. 

1 hour ago, Surfguyxxx said:

The Windjammer was ok and the staff, most of them, were really helpful.  There is an omelet station but for some reason it takes forever; 10 minutes or more.  I usually grabbed a Ham and Cheese omelet which they made right there and put out to grab.  There was a station for some speciality foods but I didn't use it.  I remember Fajitas one afternoon.  Their bagels were horrible but there was always some fresh Lox (salmon) to help alleviate that issues  LOL.  I very much enjoyed the abundance of fresh fruits that was served for breakfast but your normal fare was there; bacon, sausages (both port and chicken), hash browns, some carved meats etc. 

Great, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

My wife is very picky and I like to eat, so we often do WJ for dinner when not traveling with family and the cook to order station makes a big difference. Not only is the food freshly cooked but she can choose her ingredients.