testing positive before flight from Canada to Hawaii

jjduck

Seeking thoughts and opinions here before calling the airline and the probable wait time!

Cruising from Hawaii to Vancouver, staying in Vancouver for three days.  Need to take a covid test one day before Air Canada flight back home (to Hawaii).

Wondering what happens if we test positive?  Quarantine?  Who would we report to?  So much unknown.

ANY discussion is greatly appreciated.  

Thanks very much!

Anybody with a cruise that disembarks in Vancouver needs to know this, but I have not seen any specifics on how to handle the situation once the cruise line is not involved in assisting you.

One thing is for sure. You have to wait until you test positive to get home. It certainly would be nice if the US would allow fully vaccinated travelers to fly without testing. That requirement has been in place since December. Maybe it is time to re-evaluate it. 

1 hour ago, jjduck said:

Seeking thoughts and opinions here before calling the airline and the probable wait time!

Cruising from Hawaii to Vancouver, staying in Vancouver for three days.  Need to take a covid test one day before Air Canada flight back home (to Hawaii).

Wondering what happens if we test positive?  Quarantine?  Who would we report to?  So much unknown.

Thanks very much!

Babar I think is confused.  You need to test negative before you can fly home.

Thus if you test positive at the airport you would need to quarantine.  It basically would be your $$.  Canada would give you a choice of where to quarantine. 

Once you leave the ship it is yours to solve.  You are also asking what the rules will be in Canada when you cruise and right now nobody knows.

Personally I would drive or take the shuttle to Seattle and avoid testing.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Babar I think is confused.  You need to test negative before you can fly home.

Thus if you test positive at the airport you would need to quarantine.  It basically would be your $$.  Canada would give you a choice of where to quarantine. 

Once you leave the ship it is yours to solve.  You are also asking what the rules will be in Canada when you cruise and right now nobody knows.

Personally I would drive or take the shuttle to Seattle and avoid testing.

You are right. I misspoke and didn’t even realize it.

Where do you get the information about where to quarantine? Is it available as a handout perhaps at the testing sites or do you get a phone number for further information?

If you test positive, they don't care where you quarantine.  As to where to report, I would think they will tell you your next move.  I would guess you will wait the 10 days, then come back with a negative test.  

I am wishing now that I wasn't sailing from Seward to Vancouver.  It is August.  Crazy the USA can't exempt people that are coming from Canada.  

2 hours ago, jjduck said:

Thanks very much!

Here are a few links that will give you some of the requirements should you test positive:

http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/self-isolation

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/travel/current

https://www.trip.com/hot/quarantine-hotels-in-vancouver/

I would check with the hotel you will be staying in to see whether they can accommodate quarantines and if you can extend your stay if necessary.

If you are experiencing no symptoms and have no reason to believe that you have contracted COVID, I think that Wildcat's suggestion is a good one.

• Like 1