Live from the Caribbean Princess: Panama Canal - Apr 26 to May 14 - SF to FTL

Ken the cruiser

I just wanted to say we have sailed in a variety of Celebrity Sky Suites on all 3 classes of their ships. That being said, we REALLY LIKE the Princess Vista Suite and would definitely choose it over cruising in a Celebrity Sky Suite in a heartbeat if the itineraries were similar. BTW since a Vista Suite has a separate sleeping area, it’s more like a Celebrity Suite rather than a Sky Suite. Did I mention Vista Suites have a walk-in shower and a tub where Sky Suites have a shower/tub combination.

But I would also like to note, we have no use for a butler (retreat host), the Retreat Lounge (or Michaels Club) or the Retreat Deck on the Revolutionized ships. If we did, that might make a difference in our opinion. But, we don’t. In fact, from now on we’ll probably just be sailing in Celebrity Aqua cabins, so we can eat in Blu, or a Sunset Veranda, if we’re on an Edge class ship.

I’ve been wanting to post this Princess Vista Suite - Celebrity Sky Suite comparison for a few days now. But since it is a quiet sea day, I thought what the heck! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I just did 4 different internet speed tests from our balcony which came back with varying download speeds from 1.9 (Fast and Ookla) to 9.04 mbps (Google). So who knows what the exact speed is at any one time. The bottom line is it’s working now and that’s the main thing! 😂

3481C2C5-8AD6-4624-8097-1B9EAC31A284.thumb.jpeg.def35641930cd0b1a3686d8aac495f3c.jpeg

5 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

My unofficial guess since this is an 18 day cruise with 1,650 passengers on board with the average age 60++, there are probably quite a few platinum, elite and suite guests aboard, probably more than Skywalkers can handle.

I agree, Skywalkers is not as big as the Viking Crown on Royal Caribbean ships. 

16 hours ago, caribill said:

When there are a large number of Platinum/Elite/Suite passengers on board, Skywalkers is not large enough so the event is held in Club Fusion instead.

OK, we decided to go to the “Elite Lounge” in the Fusion Bar this evening to check it out. From what we could tell it was designated as a private function where they served some different types of hors d’ oeuvres and other small dishes. However, the waiter said you have to pay for your drinks. So I wouldn’t call it a Happy Hour. It was more like an intimate social gathering area in a private setting where folks that know each other sit at a table and chat. Is that about it, or am I missing something?

5 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

OK, we decided to go to the “Elite Lounge” in the Fusion Bar this evening to check it out. From what we could tell it was designated as a private function where they served some different types of hors d’ oeuvres and other small dishes. However, the waiter said you have to pay for your drinks. So I wouldn’t call it a Happy Hour. It was more like an intimate social gathering area in a private setting where folks that know each other sit at a table and chat. Is that about it, or am I missing something?

That’s about it!  Lol  You can get discounted drinks.  If your on the beverage package, wouldn’t make sense.

We don’t usually go because, it would spoil my dinner. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Nailed it!

Cheers

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I you're on a Royal Class ship. there is a separate Concierge Lounge, open 24/7 with time-appropriate snacks all the time. Wonderful place! Comp beer/wine couple of hours a day...little slice of Heaven, or as they described it, an extension of our living room...🥰

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Yes, the "private function" is meant only for Platinum/Elite/Suite passengers which on some cruises is over half the passengers.

Beverages (except for tap water) are not free unless you have a beverage package (as appropriate: coffee, soda or premier). In the past a limited number of (most people did not want) cocktails were at a discounted price.

If you go, you can meet other cruisers and thus become some of the folks who know each other.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VibeGuy said:

Majority Rules plays so well when you have a few teams that think a good laugh is more important than bad Champagne. 

We had 51 teams, with quite a few crazy guesses, and one very humorous CD with his 2 side kicks! 😂😂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We have arrived at Huatulco, Mexico. This morning we’re going on a Princess excursion to see some ostriches and some other sites.

image.thumb.jpg.9b49312ad4c726c3d1f5ef04d629f979.jpg

Looks warm and steamy.  Have a great day there!

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Ken - we'll be stopping there on a Panama Canal cruise at the end of the year.  Did you happen to notice if there was a golf cart or something similar to help those with mobility issues get from the ship to the end of the pier?  Thanks.