Live from the Caribbean Princess: Panama Canal - Apr 26 to May 14 - SF to FTL

Ken the cruiser

If I might ask those folks who are currently on a B2B on the CB and staying on for the next leg, (as this is becoming a hot topic of interest), have you heard yet whether or not Princess will be requiring you to take a complimentary antigen test prior to continuing on to the next leg? If you haven’t, would you mind posting here when you do receive some type of notification? Thanks!

4 hours ago, Mary Ann 2 said:

I just found out that they didn’t deliver our EZCheck papers to our stateroom. They claimed it was because they didn’t have our flight info but we booked flights thru them!! Anyway due to CC I knew to go ask this early.  So much easier that it’s well worth $25 each. If you are onboard and haven’t gotten your papers to sign up, go ask at passenger services. 

Thanks again Mary Ann! We went and filled out the form. On page 2 there was a special note. The form has to be turned in tonight, May 10, by 9 pm!

3E1C792F-1A26-4E57-A353-90A0CE81FA9C.thumb.jpeg.eef9f384a03027b0cd9fb1950853cc60.jpeg

96ED34FC-662B-4520-8DE3-84A9E9807363.thumb.jpeg.35dc590ecd834a6e3ad13f906631cd73.jpeg

• Like 4

This afternoon we went to Kerry’s nature lecture on wildlife. As always we had a great time and learned about various wildlife we may or may not, in some cases, see on our cruise. 

4CD5A408-C94D-45B5-94B5-A271874B8C6A.thumb.jpeg.61c709a47aced1da8a1194538b6d0dd7.jpeg

10AB6935-5894-4A78-AD6D-885CD55A9478.thumb.jpeg.a462a12d6833ca27c04ea18e9943e4cc.jpeg

711F39E6-CFBA-4983-9BF2-043C4323CC4A.thumb.jpeg.51961d246e920f8a375bb3190cff994f.jpeg

9B8160B1-144F-4638-815C-029EF7337746.thumb.jpeg.437bda05b33b6b43d8983130d2fac008.jpeg

7C43F1A1-0E76-4B5E-A198-F8203317A6B3.thumb.jpeg.229df0d025f774d2d50138725f4c8e52.jpeg

F40B61FC-95D5-40F8-A7F1-AEB863E64FAF.thumb.jpeg.36c98e767cfa24f9d8bf6de448169191.jpeg

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, crimsonbird said:

We will be on the CP in a few weeks.  How is the temp on the ship?  Sometimes we've found that the ships are kept very cool.  Also, how is the food.  Anything memorable??  Thanks so much.  

The ship has been quite comfortable with regards to temperature. But I will say International Cafe has had some awesome lunch offerings!!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

The ship has been quite comfortable with regards to temperature. But I will say International Cafe has had some awesome lunch offerings!!

Thanks so much.  We were on the CP 3+ years ago..sailing from Florida to Quebec.  We had a terrific time and look forward to sailing again. Regards.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2022 at 5:27 AM, Ken the cruiser said:

BTW if anyone was curious, maybe 5-10% of passengers on Princess excursions sitting in the theater waiting to go on a tender have their mask on. 

image.thumb.jpg.957667901dd2bd7f488f52b124e4c154.jpg

I find it quite ridiculous that they cram everyone in there, instead of spacing people out for the excursions or tenders. One of my comments on my survey was about this. I hope they take a closer look at it, since most people are not wearing their masks or leaving a seat between others for social distancing, when possible. We asked to not do this, but was told to move over…it made me very uncomfortable since I also play the keep away game on a cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Happiest when cruising said:

I find it quite ridiculous that they cram everyone in there, instead of spacing people out for the excursions or tenders. One of my comments on my survey was about this. I hope they take a closer look at it, since most people are not wearing their masks or leaving a seat between others for social distancing, when possible. We asked to not do this, but was told to move over…it made me very uncomfortable since I also play the keep away game on a cruise. 

Understand. My suggestion is that you might want to check out the late show. The early show tonight, which was comedian Gary Delana, was packed and we wound up going first to the two game shows and then to the late show. It was very comfortable with plenty of places to sit with no one around us.

0514E071-054C-407B-AC54-CB5B4303FB0C.thumb.jpeg.fee3764dde242dc1e471396646d09c56.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crimsonbird said:

Thanks so much.  We were on the CP 3+ years ago..sailing from Florida to Quebec.  We had a terrific time and look forward to sailing again. Regards.

You’re going to have a great time. I will also mention, for what it’s worth, we have eaten dinner every night in the CC section of the Coral MDR except for one and the food has been quite tasty. But more importantly, we have not had any heartburn this entire cruise which is a big thumbs up from our perspective. 😁

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Understand. My suggestion is that you might want to check out the late show. The early show tonight, which was comedian Gary Delana, was packed and we wound up going first to the game show and then to the late show. It was very comfortable with plenty of places to sit with no one around us.

0514E071-054C-407B-AC54-CB5B4303FB0C.thumb.jpeg.fee3764dde242dc1e471396646d09c56.jpeg

We are off the ship now. Yes, we only went to late shows and I spent quite a bit of time taking different routes - like the forward elevators in off times as they were usually empty.   We used the forward pool for swimming as it was usually quite empty. We also tried to eat daytime meals at off times and outdoors. We did  private excursions for the most part, like a golf cart and a motorcycle tour,  so we didn’t share transportation. That’s what was frustrating with Princess…all my hard work went out the door,  when we were forced to sit near people to go on one of their excursions. The only reason we took their excursions was because it is listed on their site that you had to in Dominica, St. Lucia and Barbados. I was not true, at all. I also spoke directly to the excursion desk and guest services onboard after we got back as we really felt let down and flat out lied to. They all politely nodded their head in agreement. I believe they knew it was not true, but couldn’t do anything about getting the website changed. It is still listed under the Can I go ashore? In the  FAQ section.I was also sure to give them my feedback on the survey. The other couple we were with said it took her 2 hours to complete the survey…she wanted to be thorough. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

You’re going to have a great time. I will also mention, for what it’s worth, we have eaten dinner every night in the CC section of the Coral MDR except for one and the food has been quite tasty. But more importantly, we have not had any heartburn this entire cruise which is a big thumbs up from our perspective. 😁

Hi Ken.  We recall the champagne waterfall evening...is this still being done? And the daily high tea?  Can't remember what's in the mini fridge?  We're elite..is there a cocktail party?  So many happy recollections.. and we know that things have changed.  We live in south Florida..and covid is somewhat on an uptick. Naturally we are concerned that Princess is doing all they can.  As for the food...good to know it's agreeable. That's such a delightful and important part of cruising.  Last cruise in November was on Celebrity...so much salt...such swollen ankles... Hoping this chef had a bit more restraint as far as sodium is concerned. Fun "talking" to you.  Julian n Joan

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Happiest when cruising said:

We are off the ship now. Yes, we only went to late shows and I spent quite a bit of time taking different routes - like the forward elevators in off times as they were usually empty.   We used the forward pool for swimming as it was usually quite empty. We also tried to eat daytime meals at off times and outdoors. We did  private excursions for the most part, like a golf cart and a motorcycle tour,  so we didn’t share transportation. That’s what was frustrating with Princess…all my hard work went out the door,  when we were forced to sit near people to go on one of their excursions. The only reason we took their excursions was because it is listed on their site that you had to in Dominica, St. Lucia and Barbados. I was not true, at all. I also spoke directly to the excursion desk and guest services onboard after we got back as we really felt let down and flat out lied to. They all politely nodded their head in agreement. I believe they knew it was not true, but couldn’t do anything about getting the website changed. It is still listed under the Can I go ashore? In the  FAQ section.I was also sure to give them my feedback on the survey. The other couple we were with said it took her 2 hours to complete the survey…she wanted to be thorough. 

I know many of the “Celebrity Only” excursions we went on at a variety of Caribbean Islands in Aug, Nov, Dec and Feb, it was many times the local government that dictated if private excursions or “free roaming” was even allowed, which many islands didn’t allow until relatively recently. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I know many of the “Celebrity Only” excursions we went on at a variety of Caribbean Islands in Aug, Nov, Dec and Feb, it was many times the local government that dictated if private excursions or “free roaming” was even allowed, which many islands didn’t allow until relatively recently. 

You are correct. Dominica opened in early April. So...the website should be updated. We got off on April 16th.
It was pretty frustrating to get off the ship at a port, go through the area inside the ports and see the locals were selling tours and offering taxis, etc. All Govt. Authorized. Not only that, those excursions were also about half price. I do realize some people are only comfortable with cruise line tours, but those of us who have been to the Islands many times are some,times willing to go out on our own. 

Edited by Happiest when cruising
  • Like 2

We have arrived in Aruba, our last port on this cruise. Today we’re booked on a Princess excursion going to see the lighthouse, ostriches and go shopping. It also looks like it’s going to be another pretty, but warm day. 😁

27629F79-EA40-4F39-984D-B347E3F4AE22.thumb.jpeg.ac060c090da50dcfae4abfe16b680ad9.jpeg

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We have arrived in Aruba, our last port on this cruise. Today we’re booked on a Princess excursion going to see the lighthouse, ostriches and go shopping. It also looks like it’s going to be another pretty, but warm day. 😁

27629F79-EA40-4F39-984D-B347E3F4AE22.thumb.jpeg.ac060c090da50dcfae4abfe16b680ad9.jpeg

Have a great day. Thank you again for all the wonderful pics. 

• Like 1

My fiance' is a big fan of tawny ports. If anyone onboard happens to be in Vines or another bar would you mind asking if they have a specific one called "Sandeman"  in stock? Its a 30 year old port and he'd love to sit and have a glass at night while people watching. If that isn't available any suggestions for something else would be much appreciated.

Thanks

• Like 1

8 hours ago, crimsonbird said:

Hi Ken.  We recall the champagne waterfall evening...is this still being done? And the daily high tea?  Can't remember what's in the mini fridge?  We're elite..is there a cocktail party?  So many happy recollections.. and we know that things have changed.  We live in south Florida..and covid is somewhat on an uptick. Naturally we are concerned that Princess is doing all they can.  As for the food...good to know it's agreeable. That's such a delightful and important part of cruising.  Last cruise in November was on Celebrity...so much salt...such swollen ankles... Hoping this chef had a bit more restraint as far as sodium is concerned. Fun "talking" to you.  Julian n Joan

Haven’t heard about a champagne waterfall, but we got back late one day from an excursion and went to the high tea. It was quite tasty and my DW thinks they still offer it daily in one of the dining rooms.

We’re platinum and I believe they have the Elite happy hour every day in the Club Fusion between 5-7. Unfortunately, we’re not privy as to if there is a separate private cocktail party.

As far as Princess and other cruise lines doing everything they can, I think that “ship has finally sailed” with regards to enforcing mask mandates and social distancing, especially since CDC as relaxed their grip on them. But I have to say Princess was one of those that held on to the mask mandate the longest. Celebrity only required it in early February for about a week because of the Holiday omicron surge, but the lifted it about 2 weeks later. But, IMHO it’s now pretty much up to US to use our own common sense, whatever that might entail, when it comes to dealing with the various illnesses as well as C19 that one might be exposed to while on a cruise.

It was nice talking with you as well and hopefully you’ll be off on your next cruise real soon! 😁

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We did the ABCs back in September on Celebrity Equinox.  Curacao was by far our favorite.  Aruba was nice but if we return, I think we'll probably just do a beach day there.  Our excursion included beach time at the end and it was beautiful.  We don't scuba or snorkle and there didn't seem much else to do in Bonaire so we just wandered around town.  That was depressing.  Pretty run down and every other shop was closed.

Thanks again for letting us tag along.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, crimsonbird said:

Hi Ken.  We recall the champagne waterfall evening...is this still being done? And the daily high tea?  Can't remember what's in the mini fridge? ....

From what I understood on 2 post COVID pause cruises the Champagne waterfall has been discontinued.  From Ken's postings of the Patter there has been tea serving scones, small sandwiches, cookies, pastries, etc. every day at 3 but it is not a high tea which usually includes a lot of exotic offerings.  On the 2 sailings I mentioned tea was available only on sea days.  I am glad to see that the CB is doing it every day.

• Like 2

Ken the cruiser- Great pictures and great live from ,enjoyed following along. I do have a question on a comment post number 544 . When you say you’re only platinum and there was a private function going on. Pretty sure it’s elite, platinum, and suites can attend from 5 PM to 7 PM in the past there was always a card in your cabin to let you know the location and the menu , I don’t know what they’re doing now  with less papers & medallion and yes sometimes the steward forgot to put one in our cabin and we had to ask . Pretty sure that private function ( club fusion)is applicable to you as well unless they started separating out elites in a separate section. 

Pretty much it’s just a buffet of food ( served)and a special price for a few drinks. We always utilized it for a little snack before dinner as we always ate dinner after 7 PM  and we would meet friends and or family there as well. Nice relaxing area to do so. And the ships that have Skywalkers  ,great view from up there while enjoying our appetizers and drinks .

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, arizonaperson said:

And the ships that have Skywalkers  ,great view from up there while enjoying our appetizers and drinks .

When we were on the Ruby in November the Platinum/Elite/Suite lounge was actually in Skywalkers in the evenings as opposed to Club Fusion. It was nice. 🙂

1 hour ago, southpawsdakota said:

Can someone ask if Capt. Tuvo will be coming on soon. thank you

I read recently he was going to Majestic Princess not Caribbean Princess

• Thanks 1