1st Solo cruise coming up. Question regarding in port safety.

iriecruising

I am taking my first solo cruise in a couple of weeks with stops in Cozumel and Roatan. I usually love getting off the ship in Cozumel and just browsing the shops in San Miguel but Carnival uses the dock at Puerto Maya. Interested in your thoughts on whether it would be safe for a solo cruiser to grab a cab alone and head down to San Miguel. I feel confident shopping alone as it is a crowded populated area on the main drag but is a solo cab ride a stupid move? I am also interested in seeing the West End in Roatan and wonder if a cab ride and shopping and wandering around alone would be safe. I have never been to the West End (or even out of the port area in Roatan) so I am totally unfamiliar with the area. Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated.

In my experience Cozumel is very safe during the day. The taxis are very regulated, just make sure you take a taxi that looks like a taxi. Some run down vehicle is not a taxi but if it has the look of a taxi then you can be confident. There is a taxi union that will do damage to anyone faking being a taxi. To be even more sure look for a taxi stand - it will have a sign with rates and the like. Always make sure of the price before you get in.

Roatan I'm not so confident. Overall Roatan is fairly safe but their taxis are not as regulated. Perhaps someone with more experience will chime in.

• Like 1

I cruise solo several times a year.  Cozumel has never been an issue for me.  Even when I stay on the island for several days outside of cruising, I am quite comfortable alone.  I do not feel the same about Roatan.  I would advise a ship excursion or a group excursion with reputable, local companies like Victor Bodden Tours.  West End is lovely with lots of activities, restaurants, and shopping; but I would definitely not go alone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

During busy times, they will load different parties into taxis heading to downtown from Puerto Maya and taxis heading back may do the same.  Just go to where is a taxi line or you see other cruisers in the van already.

I would not to to the West End in a taxi.  Finding your way back would be an issue.  

• Like 1

I travel solo as well. In Cozumel, I’ll go to the taxi stand and if I see others from the ship waiting, I’ll ask if I can join them in the cab and share the cost…It may be a little intimidating to ask, but I feel better sharing a taxi than going alone.  Ask yourself…which is worse…asking to share a taxi, or getting into one alone..LOL.  I’ve never had a problem. I do the same on the way back…there’s usually a place to wait for a taxi….if they are ship folks, Again, I’ll ask to share….never been a problem.  
I’m not familiar with Roatan.

• Like 2

There are a few really reputable tour companies in Roatan where you can get a ride to West End beach pretty cheap. We use Victor Bodden Tours, but there's at least one or two others that are similar. If you sign up for one of their fun-n-sun group tours, it's $30 to go out to a West End resort for the day. You'd be in a bus with other cruise ship passengers, but it's super safe and reliable.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

I’ve done it many times in Cozumel. A couple times in Roatan. But Roatan seems a little sketchy.

We did a private excursion just before covid on vista. We went to west end private beach. Someone offered a massage and the girl went around a corner from my private group and yelled he tried to rape me and was sent back to the ship via taxi.

The tour of roatan I took last dec the group spokesman went on and on how bad things are there now. Running water twice a week, that's why they use cisterns. Health benefits taken away. Fishing boats got sold and 90% depend on tourists to exist. I was surprised things went downhill so much since I was there last. It was a eye opening tour of east end .. where workers live. 

Cozumel I feel is safer. And I tour solo like op.

I agree with others - You will probably be fine in Cozumel, but sharing a cab with others is even better.

I definitely would NOT recommend a random cab solo in Roatan. Book a tour or ship excursion. Victor Bodden is an excellent option. The monkey / sloth / iguana sanctuaries are definitely worth seeing and tours are usually available that include those and some beach time at West End.

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 1