What to do in Icy Straight Point?

Eli_6

On 4/26/2022 at 8:27 AM, quack2 said:

Some of the best whale watching on your cruise is in Icy Strait.  Book direct with Glacier Wind for a better experience than cruise ship excursion on crowded boat.

Thanks for all who suggested it. We just booked them. Can’t wait! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We was there last week. We were originally booked with Glacier Wind but our captain tested positive and we had to rebook. They were excellent with communicating with us and recommended Hoonah Adventures. They were wonderful and the whale watching was great. I don't think you could go wrong with either of them.

1 hour ago, RazorPokesHoney said:

We was there last week. We were originally booked with Glacier Wind but our captain tested positive and we had to rebook. They were excellent with communicating with us and recommended Hoonah Adventures. They were wonderful and the whale watching was great. I don't think you could go wrong with either of them.

Oh no!  Was it Cpt. Shawn or Cpt. Casey that tested positive.  Sorry you didn't get to go out with Glacier Wind as they are wonderful.  Glad to hear that you were able to go with another vendor.

On 5/12/2022 at 2:31 PM, Italy52 said:

Oh no!  Was it Cpt. Shawn or Cpt. Casey that tested positive.  Sorry you didn't get to go out with Glacier Wind as they are wonderful.  Glad to hear that you were able to go with another vendor.

It was the son, I'm guessing that is Casey. We'd like to go back so if we're able, we'd give them another try.

19 minutes ago, RazorPokesHoney said:

It was the son, I'm guessing that is Casey. We'd like to go back so if we're able, we'd give them another try.

Thank you for the information, I appreciate it.  Yes, Casey is Shawn and Teresa's son.  So sorry to hear about his Covid.  Do hope that you get to go out with Glacier Wind another time --- we have been out with them many times and will be going out with them again in August.  Wonderful people who offer a great experience for their clients.

• Like 1

We'll be visiting ISP in end of June 2022.  Most of the tours/activities are sold out since we booked this cruise last minute.  We would love to go whale watching at ISP but can't find availability for our group of 8 adults.  Most boats only hold 6 as we learned.  Does anyone have other suggestions or recommendations?  We booked this cruise itinerary because of ISP.  We might just have to spend the day visiting Hoonah.

10 minutes ago, gatec1008 said:

We'll be visiting ISP in end of June 2022.  Most of the tours/activities are sold out since we booked this cruise last minute.  We would love to go whale watching at ISP but can't find availability for our group of 8 adults.  Most boats only hold 6 as we learned.  Does anyone have other suggestions or recommendations?  We booked this cruise itinerary because of ISP.  We might just have to spend the day visiting Hoonah.

Have you tried Glacier Wind, they have a smaller boat as well as a larger boat.  Below is their contact information.  Excellent company, we have gone out with them numerous times.

https://www.g-wind.com/

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Have you tried Glacier Wind, they have a smaller boat as well as a larger boat.  Below is their contact information.  Excellent company, we have gone out with them numerous times.

https://www.g-wind.com/

Yes, we contacted Glacier Wind and they're sold out as well for the afternoon.  We might have to do whale watching in Juneau since it's showing more availability.

18 minutes ago, gatec1008 said:

Yes, we contacted Glacier Wind and they're sold out as well for the afternoon.  We might have to do whale watching in Juneau since it's showing more availability.

I'm sorry.  Hope all works out for you in Juneau.

We just got back from our cruise and we did whale watching with Hoonah Travel Adventures. Highly recommend! Saw quite a few whales and a bear on shore. Also, one of the places at the port has the best fish and chips I’ve ever had, make sure to get the halibut fish and chips.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 3:36 PM, Cambria2 said:

The zipline is such fun!  We went with our friends in 2017 (  all in age 70 range). It’s actually a zip rider because you are sitting in a seat. 2 people are afraid of heights but loved it. We are going back this year with our daughters & 2 grandkids & I booked it again.  Six people go @ once so you can go together.  It’s not to be missed.

Can it only be booked through the ship?

Do you have to book zip line in advance?

does the gondola take you up to zipline spot? I have gondolas ticket booked, but not zippo e. But it looks amazing. 

how physically challenging is it? I have a weaker arm.  Not major, can carry around my groceries and,uggage and whatnot…

On 5/16/2022 at 1:10 PM, gatec1008 said:

We just got back last week. We did the whale watching with Hoonah Travel Adventures and they were wonderful. Their boat would easily fit your group if it's not sold out.

On 5/23/2022 at 12:51 PM, Cambria2 said:

I booked the zipline through the ship excursions.  I don’t think you can book it independently

My cruise has it listed as sold out. So I booked the gondola.  But was hoping I might be able to get a ticket for zip line on-site. Maybe next ti e I guess!

We visited ICY STRAIGHT POINT on 5/18 off of the Quantum of the Seas.  We didn't book an excursion but did walk to the town shuttle pickup point and for $5 had a RT ride to town.  There's not much there, but it was fun to look at the totems and walk around a bit.  Back at the former cannery, there's a lot to see there including a small museum and lots of food options.  We heard from others that the whale watching was terrific.

On 5/16/2022 at 4:17 PM, DogMama77 said:

We just got back from our cruise and we did whale watching with Hoonah Travel Adventures. Highly recommend! Saw quite a few whales and a bear on shore. Also, one of the places at the port has the best fish and chips I’ve ever had, make sure to get the halibut fish and chips.

Do you recall the name of the restaurant?  Thanks!

On 5/16/2022 at 10:10 AM, gatec1008 said:

Check with Hoonah Travel Adventures. Excellent company owned by locals - the boat holds 16 so depending on how many are already booked for the day you are there, they may be able to accommodate you.