just checking for accuracy..

Camelia-

Hi there,

I thought that it might be a good idea to check whether we are interpreting correctly:

My sister (who lives in Toronto) is booked to go on a cruise out of Fort Lauderdale on July 23rd. She intends to do the sensible thing and fly in the day before on July 22nd - just to avoid any issues. She is fully vaccinated and has had one booster, 

I know that rules change frequently but as of today my understanding is that she will a) need a negative antigen test before she boards her flight in order to enter the USA and b)  one in order to board the ship. If she has an antigen done at Shoppers on July 21 (the day before she flies) can she use the same test to board the ship? Just checking to see whether the timing will work...otherwise she will have to look for a testing site in Fort Lauderdale..

Can someone please confirm whether we are right in our facts..any other advice would be appreciated. It will be the first trip anywhere in a while so she is looking forward to it.

Many thanks...

15 minutes ago, Camelia- said:

Hi there,

I thought that it might be a good idea to check whether we are interpreting correctly:

My sister (who lives in Toronto) is booked to go on a cruise out of Fort Lauderdale on July 23rd. She intends to do the sensible thing and fly in the day before on July 22nd - just to avoid any issues. She is fully vaccinated and has had one booster, 

I know that rules change frequently but as of today my understanding is that she will a) need a negative antigen test before she boards her flight in order to enter the USA and b)  one in order to board the ship. If she has an antigen done at Shoppers on July 21 (the day before she flies) can she use the same test to board the ship? Just checking to see whether the timing will work...otherwise she will have to look for a testing site in Fort Lauderdale..

Can someone please confirm whether we are right in our facts..any other advice would be appreciated. It will be the first trip anywhere in a while so she is looking forward to it.

Many thanks...

Yes, a negative antigen test at Shoppers on the 21st will cover both her flight requirement on the 22nd and boarding on the 23rd.

Yes, you need a negative antigen test to fly to the US done within 24hours of flying...you need an antigen test to board the ship taken within 48 hours of embarkation...so the same test can be used for both...so take the test on the 21st...fly 22nd...board 23rd. That is how we have done it 3 times since Nov 2022...and the Shoppers test is accepted everywhere.

Hope she enjoys the cruise 😎

The good part of current testing is it is based on "days", not 24 hours from test time.  So you test any time on the 21st you are good for the US flight until 11:59PM on the 22nd and good for cruise until 11:59PM on the 23rd.  Way less stressful than counting hours.

On 4/27/2022 at 5:03 PM, ALD18 said:

The good part of current testing is it is based on "days", not 24 hours from test time.  So you test any time on the 21st you are good for the US flight until 11:59PM on the 22nd and good for cruise until 11:59PM on the 23rd.  Way less stressful than counting hours.

I just spoke with Air Canada a few minutes ago and they confirmed it needed to be within 24 hours of my (first) flight time (I’m connecting in Toronto.). 

49 minutes ago, Worldtraveler22 said:

I just spoke with Air Canada a few minutes ago and they confirmed it needed to be within 24 hours of my (first) flight time (I’m connecting in Toronto.). 

Whomever you spoke to at Air Canada is wrong. 

From the CDC:

The 1-day period is 1 day before the flight’s departure. The Order uses a 1-day time frame instead of 24 hours to provide more flexibility to the air passenger and aircraft operator. By using a 1-day window, test acceptability does not depend on the time of the flight or the time of day that the test sample was taken.

For example, if your flight is at 1pm on a Friday, you could board with a negative test that was taken any time on the prior Thursday.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html#:~:text=Air passengers traveling to the,for all passengers before boarding.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Worldtraveler22 said:

I am going to believe Air Canada because that link is not explicit enough to verify it can be any time on the day before.  

How about this, taken directly from the Air Canada website?

73603001-5910-4761-8900-845C38B28F4D.thumb.jpeg.79d09fd755d658ec4ff35787fc9be013.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Worldtraveler22 said:

I am going to believe Air Canada because that link is not explicit enough to verify it can be any time on the day before.  

Sure it is.  I don't think you spent enough time reading it and checking out what is meant by 1-day.  Fouremco simply copied and pasted the CDC explanation.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Worldtraveler22 said:

It's hard to get more explicit than this:

For example, if your flight is at 1pm on a Friday, you could board with a negative test that was taken any time on the prior Thursday.

• Like 2

We have flown both AC and WJ and have always taken our antigen test first thing in the morning and flown the next day late afternoon. Never an issue. It is not an exact 24 hours. Anytime the day before you fly is fine.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Worldtraveler22 said:

One day before scheduled flight time means 24 hours before the scheduled flight time.  Seems pretty cut and dry to me.  

Top of page 2, https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/Amended-Global-Testing-Order_12-02-2021-p.pdf  "... no more than 1calendar day before flight departure". Do you see any mention of "time" or "hours" in this?

• Like 2