What is RCL doing?

J0Y0US

So there is no mention of actual check in time yet they randomly change checkin time.

It was said to be last night for me. I stayed up for the EST 12pm, my cruise port 12pm PST time, and for the ship time which was a random time in the pacific ocean. No check in was out there. Then now I am yet on another day of EST 12pm and nothing. Which is the end of the day my app said the checkin would occur.

So sick of being janked around.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, J0Y0US said:

So there is no mention of actual check in time yet they randomly change checkin time.

It was said to be last night for me. I stayed up for the EST 12pm, my cruise port 12pm PST time, and for the ship time which was a random time in the pacific ocean. No check in was out there. Then now I am yet on another day of EST 12pm and nothing. Which is the end of the day my app said the checkin would occur.

Today was 45 days prior to boarding (Check in Day).  I woke up and checked my app while having breakfast. I downloaded my passport information and got to pick my check in time. Took less than 5 minutes!  No 'janking' involved.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, J0Y0US said:

Online check in since the start up has been starting at 45 days from sailing in our experience with our last three cruises since October, and with our upcoming June cruise.  We have experienced no random changes to this. 

Also, it is not like checking in to get a boarding queue with Southwest Airlines - you don't need to check in at midnight of the first day of check in availability.  That is not the only time you can check in.  There are numerous boarding times available and are open up until the day before you actually board.  We have checked in on the first day available, and as late as 5 days before sailing, without any issue.  Just try again at your convenience and don't worry about the time or day.

Sorry you feel as though you are being "janked" around.  Online check in with the app is easy and without issues - just have your ID, vaccination records, and be ready to take a photo to submit this information when you do.  You will be able to select a boarding time then as well.

Relax, this is not a difficult process - and you are going on a cruise!

Edited by leaveitallbehind

12 hours ago, J0Y0US said:

so it sounds like you tried this the night before sail away maybe? If so that is a huge mistake. 

Or you tried on the 45 day mark, relax, you have plenty of time. 

i wanna get janked around...

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

so it sounds like you tried this the night before sail away maybe? If so that is a huge mistake. 

Or you tried on the 45 day mark, relax, you have plenty of time. 

i wanna get janked around...

Even if it was the night before sail away it would not matter as all of the information that can be uploaded on line can be done at the terminal prior to boarding.  In fact all of the information - ID, test results, vaccination records - is required to be shown to the agent at check in anyway.  So if the OP is never able to check in on line, it won't affect his ability to board.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, baelor said:

But certain boarding times do fill up, right?  Can those have an impact on dining/entertainment reservation availabilities?

No.  When you do the online check in, all you are providing is required boarding information and selecting an available boarding time.  This just helps facilitate your terminal check in and boarding process. And yes, boarding times are available on a first come, first served basis and will fill up - typically earliest first.  But there will always be slots available.

This has nothing to do with - and has no connection with - any on board dining, entertainment, or other reservations.  Those are all done through the planner or separately with the app, are are typically available to reserve prior to the check in timeframe. 

27 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

No.  When you do the online check in, all you are providing is required boarding information and selecting an available boarding time.  This just helps facilitate your terminal check in and boarding process. And yes, boarding times are available on a first come, first served basis and will fill up - typically earliest first.  But there will always be slots available.

This has nothing to do with - and has no connection with - any on board dining, entertainment, or other reservations.  Those are all done through the planner or separately with the app, are are typically available to reserve prior to the check in timeframe. 

No, it does indeed effect dining and entertainment bookings.  Since the restart, these things can only be booked once onboard. First onboard, gets first crack at reservations.

• Like 2

I assume the OPs reason for wanting to check in as soon as possible is to snag an early boarding time. I've seen others recommend (or report) that they did the same for various reasons. While not the end of the world to get a later boarding time, it does seem those who board earlier have a slight advantage (or so it seems). For our first cruise back tin December we opened the app for check-in the day we received notification and noticed a full list of time slots available. We didn't feel any rush and had to iron out some other plans so waited a couple more weeks before getting back on the app to actually check in. When we did all of the early times were no longer available and we were stuck with an afternoon boarding time. Not a big deal in the scheme of things, but we weren't able to access the ship's wi-fi or make reservations for shows and such until we boarded. We made that a top priority as soon as we boarded and found that some shows had already filled. It was just two of us on that trip, but our next cruise will be a party of twelve so can only imagine that will make it even more difficult. We definitely hope to get an earlier boarding time this time around for just that perk alone.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

No, it does indeed effect dining and entertainment bookings.  Since the restart, these things can only be booked once onboard. First onboard, gets first crack at reservations.

I agree!  Things do fill up depending on what ship you cruise on. 😀 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Yes and no - at least in our experience.  First of all, dining can be booked ahead of time on the planner - have done it on all four of our recent cruises with the most recent being our upcoming June Allure cruise.  So that would not be impacted. 

And yes, you are correct that with the start up all show reservations have to be booked on board through the app.  (Hopefully that will change back to the planner at some point). But that too has not been an issue with us as not everyone immediately starts booking shows as soon as they board - and there are only a few hours between the first on board and the last.  We have booked some of the shows on day 2 without an issue.

And that only impacts those ships (ex: Oasis class and others with Broadway based shows) that require or allow shows to be reserved.  The Broadway based shows have at least two showings during the week in the main theater which is very large.  On Oasis class ships, the Aqua, Comedy, and Ice shows all have multiple show times and days.  Some certainly will fill faster than others, but there will always be available times.

So I agree that it is wise to start booking shows early on board as they certainly can book fast.  But I don't think there will be too much of an issue with someone boarding later in the day. 

And BTW, I originally interpreted the question as whether or not the shows were tied into the check in boarding time slots - LOL.  So my answer was a bit skewed to begin with!  🤥  So, sorry @baelor if my response didn't make a whole lot of sense!  

2 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Yes and no - at least in our experience.  First of all, dining can be booked ahead of time on the planner - have done it on all four of our recent cruises with the most recent being our upcoming June Allure cruise.  So that would not be impacted. 

And yes, you are correct that with the start up all show reservations have to be booked on board through the app.  (Hopefully that will change back to the planner at some point). But that too has not been an issue with us as not everyone immediately starts booking shows as soon as they board - and there are only a few hours between the first on board and the last.  We have booked some of the shows on day 2 without an issue.

And that only impacts those ships (ex: Oasis class and others with Broadway based shows) that require or allow shows to be reserved.  The Broadway based shows have at least two showings during the week in the main theater which is very large.  On Oasis class ships, the Aqua, Comedy, and Ice shows all have multiple show times and days.  Some certainly will fill faster than others, but there will always be available times.

So I agree that it is wise to start booking shows early on board as they certainly can book fast.  But I don't think there will be too much of an issue with someone boarding later in the day. 

And BTW, I originally interpreted the question as whether or not the shows were tied into the check in boarding time slots - LOL.  So my answer was a bit skewed to begin with!  🤥  So, sorry @baelor if my response didn't make a whole lot of sense!  

UDP reservations can not be made until on board 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

UDP reservations can not be made until on board 

Good point.  But, frankly,  those and other specialty restaurant packages are typically better made on board.  More flexibility, etc.  But (with that exception) dining can be reserved through the planner.

17 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Curious, where has RCI told you exactly when you can check in?

In the app. 

It stated April 29th, then out of the blue changed to April 28th earlier this week. 

RCIs site has no other mention of specific check in timing. 

15 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Boy!! If you think this is being "janked around", you are probably upset most of the time.

When did I say I was upset? Just a little frustrated I had checked various times to try and check in.

I felt I was simply told conflicting information regarding Checkin pulling be around to keep checking when I could check in. 

9 hours ago, bjlbbk said:

While not the end of the world to get a later boarding time, it does seem those who board earlier have a slight advantage (or so it seems)

Bingo

It's our first Royal cruise, we have unlimited dining, have 2 toddlers in tow, and first time cruisers in my parents. 

Simply trying to get the earliest boarding to make it as smooth as possible when we get on the ship. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

From my understanding I can't book dining until on the ship for unlimited dining. I also can't book entertainment until on the ship supposedly? 

Also right now it seems like AO is open for kids but don't want to risk things changing and it's a first come first serve booking for a certain number of time slots. 

If I could pre-book everything like a Disney trip I likely wouldn't worry as much about arrival time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bucfan2 said:

Screen name for OP should be changed. 

Why? I am perfectly happy lol I just was pulled around in circles it seemed and a little tired. 

All good now. 

Final answer was the original date it said (not the one it updated to) and was 12am in the departure port time zone. 

• Like 3