Carnival Liberty today

I was looking at the Port Canaveral webcam and saw the Liberty coming in at 3:45 PM.  At 3:57 she was steaming out again.  No time to drop off or pick up any passengers.  That seems strange to me.  Does anyone have an idea why the Liberty would do that?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bostwick girl said:

They were supposed to be in Port Canaveral this morning, and leave at 4 today.

Maybe they're a mirage and the ship is really lost in the Bermuda triangle

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Bostwick girl said:

Wow, I was watching too, and wondered what was going on. I created a post also.

I saw your post after I did mine.  Sorry!

I saw some other strange stuff yesterday.  There were zero cruise ships at Port Everglades, and they usually have four or five, and there was only one cruise ship in Miami, where they are usually lined up end to end.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PC 462 said:

I was looking at the Port Canaveral webcam and saw the Liberty coming in at 3:45 PM.  At 3:57 she was steaming out again.  No time to drop off or pick up any passengers.  That seems strange to me.  Does anyone have an idea why the Liberty would do that?

They may have picked up or dropped off a passenger via the pilot boat? 

• Like 1

Carnival Liberty was definitely docked at Terminal 3 in Port Canaveral all day today and left a couple hours ago.  It was docked facing into the port (not out towards the ocean) so what anyone watching the webcam today likely saw was Liberty heading farther into port (to the turning basin) and turning around to leave.  They usually do the turn around when the ship docks early in the morning but sometimes even Mardi Gras docks head in so it does happen occasionally. 

Edited by cruisemom2

26 minutes ago, cruisemom2 said:

Carnival Liberty was definitely docked at Terminal 3 in Port Canaveral all day today and left a couple hours ago.  It was docked facing into the port (not out towards the ocean) so what anyone watching the webcam today likely saw was Liberty heading farther into port (to the turning basin) and turning around to leave.  They usually do the turn around when the ship docks early in the morning but sometimes even Mardi Gras docks head in so it does happen occasionally. 

When they dock facing West, they put thrusters on and pull away from the pier and turn around in the basin. We’ve left from there many times and that’s always the way they turn around. I was watching the cam to see if she had left as I had wanted to be on that cruise but couldn’t for various reasons. When I opened the cam, it was pointing at Independence of the Seas to the east. After a couple minutes I noticed there was a ship coming in. As it got closer and passed Independence, you could see it was Liberty. It continued on into the basin and turned around and into the pier facing out to the east. It stayed there just a couple of minutes, and pulled away and went on its way.  

27 minutes ago, Bostwick girl said:

When they dock facing West, they put thrusters on and pull away from the pier and turn around in the basin. We’ve left from there many times and that’s always the way they turn around. I was watching the cam to see if she had left as I had wanted to be on that cruise but couldn’t for various reasons. When I opened the cam, it was pointing at Independence of the Seas to the east. After a couple minutes I noticed there was a ship coming in. As it got closer and passed Independence, you could see it was Liberty. It continued on into the basin and turned around and into the pier facing out to the east. It stayed there just a couple of minutes, and pulled away and went on its way.  

Here's what I was just told by a friend at the port.  Liberty turned in the middle turning basin (just before Terminal 1 where Independence was docked) and headed out to sea from there without redocking at T-3. From the webcam it may have looked like it stopped but he said no. It may have been going super slow.  We watched Freedom go out Saturday and it looked like it was barely moving.

We've only gone out of T-3 twice (on Mardi Gras) and both times it was docked on the starboard side but have been at Grill's next to T-1 and watch MG come up to the middle turning basin and turn around.  It's pretty fun to watch.  We see the ships come and go daily, usually from our balcony but we're at the port nearly every weekend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just looked at the map of the port, so guess I learned something new today! Didn’t know any other ships besides Mardi Gras docked at that terminal. Any time we were on Liberty she was either at terminal 5 or 6. Also the 4 times we’ve sailed out of PC the Mardi Gras was always bow to ocean so never thought of how she turned around!

• Like 1

Yes, Liberty is the only other ship that docks at terminal 3 along with Mardi Gras.  Our youngest son & DIL will be on Liberty this Friday and we're dropping them off.  T-3 is so much easier to get in and out of and just under 2 miles from us.  Then we pick them up Monday morning and drop friends off that same morning at T-1 for their Independence cruise.  I love this side of the port.  😍

• Like 1

The Liberty will one day need some major work to drive motors. The ship has a bad winding on one drive motor discussed on these boards in 2016. Loosing one winding reduces the electric drive motor output and the end result is a lesser sailing speed.

This happened when she was here in Galveston making the 5-5-4 day cycle to Cozumel and Progreso. Carnival switched the Valor with the Liberty as the travel distance is less for the eastern sailings.

Edited by BallFour4
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, cruisemom2 said:

Here's what I was just told by a friend at the port.  Liberty turned in the middle turning basin (just before Terminal 1 where Independence was docked) and headed out to sea from there without redocking at T-3. From the webcam it may have looked like it stopped but he said no. It may have been going super slow.  We watched Freedom go out Saturday and it looked like it was barely moving.

We've only gone out of T-3 twice (on Mardi Gras) and both times it was docked on the starboard side but have been at Grill's next to T-1 and watch MG come up to the middle turning basin and turn around.  It's pretty fun to watch.  We see the ships come and go daily, usually from our balcony but we're at the port nearly every weekend.

That must be it!  I must have tuned in in the middle of their maneuver.  I thought they were late getting in and couldn't figure out why they appeared to just turn around so quickly.

Thanks so much!

• Like 2