Celebrating platinum jubilee on board?

Hmmm ... sounds like a good opportunity for some drunken jumping around, flag waving, taunting any other poor nationalities and singing Rule Britannia by the long weekend party crowd then!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

We were onboard at some other significant date - probably the 60th celebration.

All I recall is a special cocktail on the day.  It was very nice - I had to have two just to be sure!  Needless to say it was not complimentary 

• Like 1

Very much hoping hoping for celebrations. Will be on Britannia at the time. Not looking forward to any drunkenness but definitely Rule Britannia etc. I see no reason not to be proud to be British and that doesn’t mean demeaning other nationalities. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Orianababes said:

Very much hoping hoping for celebrations. Will be on Britannia at the time. Not looking forward to any drunkenness but definitely Rule Britannia etc. I see no reason not to be proud to be British and that doesn’t mean demeaning other nationalities. 

Totally agree and hence my comment. Last time I was on Azura for the so called Great British Sailaway a TUI German ship was alongside looking on.  A certain element decided to treat it as an occasion to break into football chants of two world wars and one world cup and spent 30 minutes being encouraged to taunt the bemused German onlookers.  Myself and a large number of other guests complained on board and were met with shrugged shoulders and a comment we can't control what people do.

Head office thought slightly differently when reading customer survey forms and wrote with apologies for their entertainment staff encouraging the behaviour. Shortly after I believe Great British Sailaway actually sailed into the sunset as I haven't seen one since.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Totally agree and hence my comment. Last time I was on Azura for the so called Great British Sailaway a TUI German ship was alongside looking on.  A certain element decided to treat it as an occasion to break into football chants of two world wars and one world cup and spent 30 minutes being encouraged to taunt the bemused German onlookers.  Myself and a large number of other guests complained on board and were met with shrugged shoulders and a comment we can't control what people do.

Head office thought slightly differently when reading customer survey forms and wrote with apologies for their entertainment staff encouraging the behaviour. Shortly after I believe Great British Sailaway actually sailed into the sunset as I haven't seen one since.

We did one sail away on our first cruise, never went to one after that, felt like we were in some drunken event in Magaluf! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, RaspberryCremeBrulee said:

Has anyone heard if P&O Cruises will be celebrating the Queens platinum jubilee on board ships sailing from Southampton?

We have not seen or heard anything re our sailing so far and, haven't noticed any related thread in CC.

I would expect P&O to celebrate the Jubilee in good style - unless things have changed drastically in the 3 years since I last cruised (full-time caring for my parents and then Covid came along). I've been onboard over the years for things like big anniversaries of VE Day, a previous Jubilee etc. and they really went to town, putting on special shows, and sticking red, white and blue balloons and union flags up all over the ship. We even all got a free glass of bubbly and stood for a loyal toast at dinner on Oriana the evening after Prince George was born.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

We did one sail away on our first cruise, never went to one after that, felt like we were in some drunken event in Magaluf! 

Ugh yes. The ones we have bothered going to were dreadful - like watching a 1am Channel 5 documentary about Brits abroad. And how to make a great cruise rival Butlins circa 1976!

I know some love it, and each to their own and all that - and that is what makes life interesting with different things that tick our different boxes. But just how some folk feel about the big ships, sail always are really not for us.

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Valfan said:

I would expect P&O to celebrate the Jubilee in good style - unless things have changed drastically in the 3 years since I last cruised (full-time caring for my parents and then Covid came along). I've been onboard over the years for things like big anniversaries of VE Day, a previous Jubilee etc. and they really went to town, putting on special shows, and sticking red, white and blue balloons and union flags up all over the ship. We even all got a free glass of bubbly and stood for a loyal toast at dinner on Oriana the evening after Prince George was born.

Think I might binge watch something on Netflix on the day😬

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Valfan said:

I remember similar on an Aurora cruise when William and Kate got married. We had a special dinner that night, we all stood to toast the happy couple with a free glass of bubbly and a slice of “wedding cake”. It was lovely.

I also recall one year when a captain tried to remove the National Anthem at the end of the Sunday service as he said some passengers were not British or didn’t approve of the monarchy. It was only missing for one week….🤣

On 5/4/2022 at 9:12 AM, Megabear2 said:

Hmmm ... sounds like a good opportunity for some drunken jumping around, flag waving, taunting any other poor nationalities and singing Rule Britannia by the long weekend party crowd then!

We were on the runway at Heathrow........the BA lady said, while we are waiting for clearance I'm sure you would like to join the crew in wishing William and Kate all the best in this special day......hang on 200+ people on a plane to Paris to get away from the faff.🤔

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Valfan said:

We even all got a free glass of bubbly and stood for a loyal toast at dinner on Oriana the evening after Prince George was born.

That was 1902.🤣

• Haha 2

Princess have announced what they are planning for the Jubilee weekend: red white and blue formal night, Royal afternoon tea, royal themed quiz, special guest speaker, British themed food and drinks,  Royal variety show in the theatre, decorations in the piazza, showing the main events on the jumbo screen on the top deck etc.

P&O won’t be far behind in announcing something I presume.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Princess have announced what they are planning for the Jubilee weekend: red white and blue formal night, Royal afternoon tea, royal themed quiz, special guest speaker, British themed food and drinks,  Royal variety show in the theatre, decorations in the piazza, showing the main events on the jumbo screen on the top deck etc.

P&O won’t be far behind in announcing something I presume.

Crikey, sounds like anyone not a Royalist had better cancel ...

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Crikey, sounds like anyone not a Royalist had better cancel ...

Showing the full thing on the big screen might be a bit much for some folks but as for the rest they can ignore to an extent if it is not their thing.

I’m sure a lot of it will be similar to normal but with added red, white and blue.

The guest speaker is a formal Royal Butler and etiquettes expert so that will definitely not be for some people but then we have had speakers that were not of interest. Luck of the draw to an extent.