cruise trip mishandled?

seaman11

We were on the ship and ended up quarantined for the last 4 days of the trip (all sea days). By our count yesterday at debarkation, I'd estimate at least 200 affected guests. The held all the quarantined cabins until the very end so we were able to see the group mostly assembled. We chose to rent a car and drive home (12 hours). Between the poor organization at the pier with buses and too few staff to direct, it took a little long to finally get to the rental car counters at the airport.

Of course there are things that can be handled better in these situations and you would hope for better, but in the end, we had a good cruise and are glad to have made it through with some good stories.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The article is not exactly clear on the "problem." The one part that would give me concern is:

“I’m in a room with somebody who has COVID and you’re not interested in testing me?,” said Ross. “I’m not a medical person, but it really seems wrong to let me run around that boat for 24 hours while rooming with someone who has COVID.”

If she is saying she was staying in a room with someone with COVID but was not quarantined and was free to roam the ship, then I see a problem. If she was quarantined then I don't see the problem.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, dansize said:

We were on the ship and ended up quarantined for the last 4 days of the trip (all sea days). By our count yesterday at debarkation, I'd estimate at least 200 affected guests. The held all the quarantined cabins until the very end so we were able to see the group mostly assembled. We chose to rent a car and drive home (12 hours). Between the poor organization at the pier with buses and too few staff to direct, it took a little long to finally get to the rental car counters at the airport.

Of course there are things that can be handled better in these situations and you would hope for better, but in the end, we had a good cruise and are glad to have made it through with some good stories.

Thanks for your response about your experience.  I hope your symptoms weren't too severe, especially with a 12 hour drive!

1 hour ago, icft said:

The article is not exactly clear on the "problem." The one part that would give me concern is:

“I’m in a room with somebody who has COVID and you’re not interested in testing me?,” said Ross. “I’m not a medical person, but it really seems wrong to let me run around that boat for 24 hours while rooming with someone who has COVID.”

If she is saying she was staying in a room with someone with COVID but was not quarantined and was free to roam the ship, then I see a problem. If she was quarantined then I don't see the problem.

Current CDC recommendations for those who are up to date on vaccinations and have a close contact who tests positive: No quarantine. You do not need to stay home unless you develop symptoms. Wear a mask for 10 days. Test at least five days after exposure (or after your close contact tests positive). 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/your-health/quarantine-isolation.html

Note that the CDC definition of "up to date" is two vaccines + 1 booster, which I believe was the minimum accepted on this cruise.

Edited by ScottsSweetie

8 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

Current CDC recommendations for those who are up to date on vaccinations and have a close contact who tests positive: No quarantine. You do not need to stay home unless you develop symptoms. Wear a mask for 10 days. Test at least five days after exposure (or after your close contact tests positive). 

Note that the CDC definition of "up to date" is two vaccines + 1 booster, which I believe was the minimum accepted on this cruise.

Interesting. I guess that is what Carnival followed.

6 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

Are those the same requirements for Cruise Ships though?

1 hour ago, dansize said:

I'm sorry you contracted covid and hope you'll have a speedy recovery. Can you shed any other light on your quarantine? Did you have to relocate to a different cabin and if so what type of cabin did they give you? How was food delivery and general attention paid to you? You seem OK with everything considered; I've been following the same situation over on the Celebrity board and people there are up in arms over the way they were treated. 

3 hours ago, kwokpot said:

I'm sorry you contracted covid and hope you'll have a speedy recovery. Can you shed any other light on your quarantine? Did you have to relocate to a different cabin and if so what type of cabin did they give you? How was food delivery and general attention paid to you? You seem OK with everything considered; I've been following the same situation over on the Celebrity board and people there are up in arms over the way they were treated. 

Celebrities and Princesses always want special treatment. 😁 

• Haha 2